register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sophie Goodall

Brisbane here we come!

12 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Sorry to tell you that box will be useless for huntsman spiders.  Relatively harmless but as large as your hand and they move like lightening.  Relatively harmless but I am always keen to remove them.

A tupperware box always seemed to get them, but they are big.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sophie Goodall said:

Hi Rachel

Thank you so much!

It was Quantity Surveyor, and our application was lodged November 6, 2018, and I believe we were granted on March 11,2018. We put our application in with the CRB and health check so it went straight to grant.

Good luck with your application emoji8.png

Wow! That was quick! Really quick! 

May I ask your points score please? 

So you got your health and police checks uploaded on to immi account at same time as submitted EOI? Or after invite? 

We are hoping for state sponsorship for the 190 as a quantity surveyor in either NSW, or ACT. 

Just submitted EOI and wondering how long our wait could be.

Thank you 

Hi,

In regards to cats - we've been here for 4 yrs now.  Had 2 cats in the uk which we didn't bring with us.  Mainly because of the costs and putting them in quarantine. A lot of people over here don't like cats as 'they kill the native wildlife'.

We have since got 2 cats here and not once have they killed and brought us a gift back.  In some states there are rules they have be inside from 8pm - 7am (i think) we generally have ours locked in at night time.

If you have family happy to look after them I would go with that.  The process for transporting cats can be long as they have to have a test or injection from the vet and then you have to wait something like 180 days for the next stage. Costs from what I recall are around $6000 for the 2 cats.

I got more upset about leaving the cats then family! 

Hope this helps & congrats on your visa. We're in NSW but looking into moving up to QLD, Sunshine Coast.

• Like 1

I think you’re going to have quit a shock if you think the traffic in Brisbane isn’t bad, it’s not only bad but the people can’t drive. I live right in the city by the bridge and I can’t go anywhere after work unless I leave before 2.30 or after 7pm. To be fair I don’t often need or want to leave the city I love Brisbane cbd, I don’t think I could live anywhere past Bowen hills kangaroo point Newstead or Paddington though. Not much going off outside in the burbs. 

It really is a stunning city, I flew over the other night on my way home from work and it looks just as stunning from the air. 

Good luck. Brisbane has been really good too me. 

I live on the bayside (to the east of the city) and I work in the city.
When we first moved here we lived in Auchenflower (west of the city). Very close to the city, trains every few minutes at peak times and a lovely place, we initially thought we would stay around there-but once we went to the bayside, drove along the Manly esplanade we realised that it was the place for us (and a good couple of degrees cooler generally too). No real beach but it’s not that hard to drive north or south to one, it’s also less than 20 minutes from the airport which is great for my work travel etc when I’m not in the city which is 30 minutes by train.
My advice would be to rent somewhere fairly central/ close to work, then go out each weekend and have a coffee / breakfast and a walk around different suburbs to get a feel for where you would like to be.
Just an amusing story from when we arrived: We landed in November and when we were walking suburbs to see if we liked them, we discounted some immediately because we were horrified that there was so much rubbish out on the streets... Turned out it was council collection weekend for those suburbs and not just a particularly grubby part of the city as we’d thought

Hi,
In regards to cats - we've been here for 4 yrs now.  Had 2 cats in the uk which we didn't bring with us.  Mainly because of the costs and putting them in quarantine. A lot of people over here don't like cats as 'they kill the native wildlife'.
We have since got 2 cats here and not once have they killed and brought us a gift back.  In some states there are rules they have be inside from 8pm - 7am (i think) we generally have ours locked in at night time.
If you have family happy to look after them I would go with that.  The process for transporting cats can be long as they have to have a test or injection from the vet and then you have to wait something like 180 days for the next stage. Costs from what I recall are around $6000 for the 2 cats.
I got more upset about leaving the cats then family! 
Hope this helps & congrats on your visa. We're in NSW but looking into moving up to QLD, Sunshine Coast.

Hi Francy,

Thanks for your post and I’m sorry for the late reply!

My husbands sister is going to look after the older cat, we honestly don’t think he’d survive the flight...he’s such an anxious cat anyway and the younger one a friend of ours has said she’d love to take in if we can’t take them. We have thought long and hard about it and to be honest we would be taking them for selfish reasons if we did. Both of them love to explore (our little one literally chases me to the coach stop every time she can when I try to go to work!!) and I just don’t think it’s fair for us to take them and keep them under lock and key. Every cat is different, and I know my parents cat would quite happily stay in the garden and the house as she never leaves the garden; she was hit by a car a few years back and one of her legs is all pinned, so she can’t really climb or jump fences, but she lives a good life!

Perhaps once we are there and settled we might not feel so worried but I’ve read some awful threads about cats being maliciously harmed and I just don’t think I’d forgive myself if anything happened to them. I know if they stay here they’ll be really well looked after and we can see them any time so that’s comforting!

Thank you for story, it’s great to hear other people’s perspectives. Good luck with the move, wishing you all the best!

We’ve finally decided to set a date and intend to head out on 22 Sept, arriving on 23 Sept which is ironic because it’s the same date that we moved into our house here!
  • Like 2

I think you’re going to have quit a shock if you think the traffic in Brisbane isn’t bad, it’s not only bad but the people can’t drive. I live right in the city by the bridge and I can’t go anywhere after work unless I leave before 2.30 or after 7pm. To be fair I don’t often need or want to leave the city I love Brisbane cbd, I don’t think I could live anywhere past Bowen hills kangaroo point Newstead or Paddington though. Not much going off outside in the burbs. 
It really is a stunning city, I flew over the other night on my way home from work and it looks just as stunning from the air. 
Good luck. Brisbane has been really good too me. 

Thanks for your message!

Honestly I currently spend 4 hours a day minimum travelling from Kent to London for work, which at the weekends can take 45 mins each way so anyyyyything is better than that. When we visited everyone complained about the traffic though, so I guess it’s all relative.

We’re thinking of starting out somewhere central and then moving out to the suburbs once we have work and are settled, so that’s definitely something to consider.

I live on the bayside (to the east of the city) and I work in the city.
When we first moved here we lived in Auchenflower (west of the city). Very close to the city, trains every few minutes at peak times and a lovely place, we initially thought we would stay around there-but once we went to the bayside, drove along the Manly esplanade we realised that it was the place for us (and a good couple of degrees cooler generally too). No real beach but it’s not that hard to drive north or south to one, it’s also less than 20 minutes from the airport which is great for my work travel etc when I’m not in the city which is 30 minutes by train.
My advice would be to rent somewhere fairly central/ close to work, then go out each weekend and have a coffee / breakfast and a walk around different suburbs to get a feel for where you would like to be.
Just an amusing story from when we arrived: We landed in November and when we were walking suburbs to see if we liked them, we discounted some immediately because we were horrified that there was so much rubbish out on the streets... Turned out it was council collection weekend for those suburbs and not just a particularly grubby part of the city as we’d thought

Hi,

Thanks for this! We definitely agree, staying centrally until we get our bearings and then moving out to the suburbs is a great idea.

It’s so hard trying to pick somewhere just from forums, reviews and property ads, we definitely need to get out and get a proper feel for the areas.

What a great story and we’ll definitely bear that in mind when we look around
  • Like 1

On 26/05/2019 at 16:49, Sophie Goodall said:

Hi,

Thanks for this! We definitely agree, staying centrally until we get our bearings and then moving out to the suburbs is a great idea.

It’s so hard trying to pick somewhere just from forums, reviews and property ads, we definitely need to get out and get a proper feel for the areas.

What a great story and we’ll definitely bear that in mind when we look around emoji23.png

A key point is your age & circumstances.

We moved over mid thirties 3 years ago with a 3 & 2 year old.  We headed Bayside and love it here in Wynnum, but that took a couple of rentals on the way.

If we didn't have the kids would have gone to Kangaroo Point for our rentals and gotten to know the city and work out what works for us with commutes and work.

On wildlife we have seen nothing untoward other than Cane Toads.  When we first arrived we tried to catch the geckos in the house and release them ..last night we watch one crawl over that wall and laughed how we used to worry about them.

Congratulations, September is a great time to arrive 😎

On 26/05/2019 at 07:44, Sophie Goodall said:

Hi Francy,

Thanks for your post and I’m sorry for the late reply!

My husbands sister is going to look after the older cat, we honestly don’t think he’d survive the flight...he’s such an anxious cat anyway emoji22.png and the younger one a friend of ours has said she’d love to take in if we can’t take them. We have thought long and hard about it and to be honest we would be taking them for selfish reasons if we did. Both of them love to explore (our little one literally chases me to the coach stop every time she can when I try to go to work!!) and I just don’t think it’s fair for us to take them and keep them under lock and key. Every cat is different, and I know my parents cat would quite happily stay in the garden and the house as she never leaves the garden; she was hit by a car a few years back and one of her legs is all pinned, so she can’t really climb or jump fences, but she lives a good life!

Perhaps once we are there and settled we might not feel so worried but I’ve read some awful threads about cats being maliciously harmed and I just don’t think I’d forgive myself if anything happened to them. I know if they stay here they’ll be really well looked after and we can see them any time so that’s comforting!

Thank you for story, it’s great to hear other people’s perspectives. Good luck with the move, wishing you all the best!

We’ve finally decided to set a date and intend to head out on 22 Sept, arriving on 23 Sept which is ironic because it’s the same date that we moved into our house here! emoji4.png

Just one comment, have you thought of breaking your flight at Singapore or Dubai, it makes it much more pleasant and hotels in Singapore used to be cheapish and taxi’s as well, it makes the journey much more bearable

8 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Just one comment, have you thought of breaking your flight at Singapore or Dubai, it makes it much more pleasant and hotels in Singapore used to be cheapish and taxi’s as well, it makes the journey much more bearable

When did you last go to Singapore?  It is a great place but decent hotels in good spots are definitely not cheap. I would spend time there rather than Dubai.

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

When did you last go to Singapore?  It is a great place but decent hotels in good spots are definitely not cheap. I would spend time there rather than Dubai.

For me, the value of the Singapore stopover is the chance to shower and have a few hours sleep. Then you arrive in Australia fresh and ready to go. There are good transit hotels inside the airport and there is so much to do at the airport itself, you don’t even need to go through passport control

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke