Adding Parents to my Partner 820 Visa

Tom S

Hi All, 

I'm new to this so bear with me. 

I am currently on a 457 Visa, have been with my partner for 5 years here in Australia with our Son (year and a half) and we are about to put in our 801/820 Defacto PR Visa, which we are more than eligible to get and I have no worries about obtaining this visa. 

My parents (English) however love Australia and would like to retire out here themselves. They are set up for money and would not require any assistance or loans in buying there home over here, and seeing out there days. The struggle and annoyance is the Visa situation. 

Now on the application for my 801/820 visa with my partner, it asks about subsequent entrants that are family, which according to the Immi Homeaffairs website this visa is eligible to do. I appreciate this might extend the waiting/process time on the visa, however, I'm secure here in Aus and therefore am not worried about it as long as that would mean my parents are PR's once the visa is approved in the next 3/4 years. 

Can someone tell me if this is the case and the way to go about it? I know there are other Visa options for parents, however they are far more expensive and require my visa to be approved before there's can even be submitted, and even then the waiting time is really long. 

Any guidance or help would be much appreciated 

Thanks 

Tom 

I'm fairly certain you can't add parents to a partner visa. Other family would mean children of either yours or partners. Your parents would need their own seperate visa from what i understand.

2 hours ago, Tom S said:

I am currently on a 457 Visa, have been with my partner for 5 years here in Australia with our Son (year and a half) and we are about to put in our 801/820 Defacto PR Visa, which we are more than eligible to get and I have no worries about obtaining this visa. 

My parents (English) however love Australia and would like to retire out here themselves. They are set up for money and would not require any assistance or loans in buying there home over here, and seeing out there days. The struggle and annoyance is the Visa situation. 

Yes it is a struggle, but just be thankful that you're a Brit wanting to bring their parents to Australia.  At least visa options exist, whereas they don't in many other countries.  

The reason they are expensive is that your parents haven't paid into the Medicare or tax system, and they are going to come to Australia at a time of their lives when everyone needs significant medical care (we all die of something) and aged care support.  The high visas fees are intended to cover those costs to the Australian taxpayer.   I'm sure they're set up for money and won't need to claim benefits, but they will still need medicines, visits to the GP, hospital treatment, etc.  When you consider all that, the cost isn't unreasonable.

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Yes it is a struggle, but just be thankful that you're a Brit wanting to bring their parents to Australia.  At least visa options exist, whereas they don't in many other countries.  

The reason they are expensive is that your parents haven't paid into the Medicare or tax system, and they are going to come to Australia at a time of their lives when everyone needs significant medical care (we all die of something) and aged care support.  The high visas fees are intended to cover those costs to the Australian taxpayer.   I'm sure they're set up for money and won't need to claim benefits, but they will still need medicines, visits to the GP, hospital treatment, etc.  When you consider all that, the cost isn't unreasonable.

I’m curious. It’s true that newcomers haven’t paid into medicare or the tax system and I think it’s fair that our visa cost reflected this - but surely at least part of the cost of Medicare is covered by the reciprocal agreement between Australia and the UK? 

15 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

I’m curious. It’s true that newcomers haven’t paid into medicare or the tax system and I think it’s fair that our visa cost reflected this - but surely at least part of the cost of Medicare is covered by the reciprocal agreement between Australia and the UK? 

I could be wrong, but I thought the reciprocal agreement applies only when visiting the country. Once you have PR you become a resident? and when you become a citizen why should UK be involved?

Interested if anyone knows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

In what way does that cover it? The reciprocal agreement just means the Australian govt pays for health care for Brits and vice versa. They don’t then claim funds from each other or anything like that. 

Since it’s almost impossible for Australian parents to move to the UK, that means the Australian govt is funding a lot more aged parents than Britain

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tom S said:

Hi All, 

Now on the application for my 801/820 visa with my partner, it asks about subsequent entrants that are family, which according to the Immi Homeaffairs website this visa is eligible to do. I appreciate this might extend the waiting/process time on the visa, however, I'm secure here in Aus and therefore am not worried about it as long as that would mean my parents are PR's once the visa is approved in the next 3/4 years. 

Can someone tell me if this is the case and the way to go about it? I know there are other Visa options for parents, however they are far more expensive and require my visa to be approved before there's can even be submitted, and even then the waiting time is really long. 

Thanks 

Tom 

Oh if only it was that easy.  Unfortunately  parents will need to apply for a visa themselves and sit in that ever lengthening queue 

On 13/03/2019 at 02:10, Marisawright said:

In what way does that cover it? The reciprocal agreement just means the Australian govt pays for health care for Brits and vice versa. They don’t then claim funds from each other or anything like that. 

Since it’s almost impossible for Australian parents to move to the UK, that means the Australian govt is funding a lot more aged parents than Britain

I did say that I thought the visa cost was fair enough.  I’ve no idea “what way that covers it” ... that’s why I asked the question - I had heard that funds are paid by the UK.    So I thought your answer was a bit sharp. 

• Like 1

On 12/03/2019 at 16:12, Tom S said:

Hi All, 

Thanks 

Tom 

Hi Tom

If you look through the forum threads there is one entitled “brand new parents’ visa”.  It is a great thread and there is always someone who will answer just about any question fairly quickly. Yes it does take a long time so you need to be patient but it can be done. 

First thing your parents need to do is get all the information they can about the various visas. You can pay an agent (I believe Alan Collet, who posts regularly on here is very good) or it is possible to organise your visa yourself. 

My OH and I moved over about 18 months ago, having first considered the possibility in 2012. However, the waiting time has increased since then. There are currently four parent visas, two which are applied for offshore (the 103 and the 143) and two with references in the 800s that are applied for onshore - I.e. a person visiting Australia might decide they want to stay and apply from here. You have to be over a certain age to do this.

Three things to consider now: do you have siblings? The balance of family test precludes anyone getting a parent visa if they have more children living outside oz than living here.

If they pass the balance of family test, how is their health? You have to pass a medical.

Are they aware that if they do come to live here permenantly their UK state pension will be frozen at the rate it was when they left the UK.

Good luck with it, and remember it can be done.

PS Alan Collet is also a fantastic accountant.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

I did say that I thought the visa cost was fair enough.  I’ve no idea “what way that covers it” ... that’s why I asked the question - I had heard that funds are paid by the UK.    So I thought your answer was a bit sharp. 

It wasn’t intended to be sharp, just factual. And no, the funds are not paid by the UK