Tourist VISA

Nina25

I was in Australia on a 1year work holiday visa which expired a month ago. I've left since but my partner is still in Australia and will be returning after the summer. I want to visit him for his birthday in April for 2 weeks (on a tourist VISA) and then go back in July to join him for some travel in Australia & New Zealand after which we will both leave Australia together.

Are there any restrictions on how many times you can travel in and out of Australia on a tourist visa? Is it valid for 12 months providing I don't stay more than 3 months or do I need to apply for a tourist VISA on 2 separate occasions, i.e. 1 for April and 1 for July?

Am I likely to have any other problems?

Cheers!

On 11/03/2019 at 16:23, Nina25 said:

I was in Australia on a 1year work holiday visa which expired a month ago. I've left since but my partner is still in Australia and will be returning after the summer. I want to visit him for his birthday in April for 2 weeks (on a tourist VISA) and then go back in July to join him for some travel in Australia & New Zealand after which we will both leave Australia together.

Are there any restrictions on how many times you can travel in and out of Australia on a tourist visa? Is it valid for 12 months providing I don't stay more than 3 months or do I need to apply for a tourist VISA on 2 separate occasions, i.e. 1 for April and 1 for July?

Am I likely to have any other problems?

Cheers!

You would be fine as tourist visa for Australia is granted for 3 months. 

If the visa says valid for ENTRY until a date/or 12months then that is what it means. You can enter Australia up until that date and stay no longer than 3 months. This actually means you can enter the day before it expires and still stay for 3 months. 

So yes it can be used for multiple visits.  You must however keep a check on the days so you are not at risk of overstaying. 

13 hours ago, rammygirl said:

If the visa says valid for ENTRY until a date/or 12months then that is what it means. You can enter Australia up until that date and stay no longer than 3 months. This actually means you can enter the day before it expires and still stay for 3 months. 

So yes it can be used for multiple visits.  You must however keep a check on the days so you are not at risk of overstaying. 

Visa is for 12 months but a person can't stay for more than 3 months at a go as per ETA. 

Just a few points which may help.

• There are multiple types of visitor (tourist) visas, each with different conditions;
  • The most common used by British Citizens has a 12 month, multiple entry validity and allows for up to 3 months stay on each visit;
  • Other visitor visas can be granted for single or multiple entry and can be valid for varying stay periods of up to 12 months, depending on circumstances;
  • Be careful if you have a multiple entry visitor visa and intend on doing multiple short trips out of Australia to renew the 3 moths stay validity. If you overuse this facility, you may be questioned at the border as to your intentions. If you are assessed as not being a genuine visitor, you could have your visa cancelled and receive an entry ban. 
  • Like 1