Hi All, I was unable to find any page dedicated for a discussion about what to do after we receive visa 489/190 for SA. This page will be dedicated to all the queries related to, "what next once visa is granted". I recently received my visa sponsored by South Australia post which, I am planning to move to Adelaide with my wife around June end.

As I am going to start my journey, I am really glad that I found this page which can help this transition be smooth.

As we all know, it's a big risk to leave a good existing job and move to a new country and start everything from scratch
which is why, I am a little worried/exited/anxious about how should I plan from here and all of you who are going to reply will
play a big role in my upcoming decisions.

Just a little bit about myself:
I am a Tech-Lead (AWS | Azure | Web (Apache|NGINX) | Python scripting | DevOps) with 7+ years of experience with an IT company.

For now, I would really appreciate if someone can guide me with below questions:

1. What is the ground reality of job situation in Adelaide for above skill set?

2. Some of you might know that CV/Resume in India and Australia are very different and I have heard that companies
in Australia will first filter the resume (ATS powered algorithms) based on the keyword and it's quite difficult even to get an interview by stuffing your resume with the keywords mentioned in the job description; so what is the best way to make my resume to at least secure an interview, in short, any assistance will be heartily appreciated.

3. I need to rent an apartment in Adelaide and I have heard that we need to have some points (100 points is I know by now) to rent an apartment, so how do I manage to get them?

4. What are the documents I need to get a rented apartment apart from points?

5. What are the best websites/options to search a rented apartment in South Australia(specifically Adelaide)?

6. I will consider my self lucky if an IT person is reading my post and can forward my resume to their HR as I have heard
contacts or reference are the best ways to secure an interview. In this case it would really be nice if you could drop me an email: prashu.swaroop@gmail.com

Thank you in advance for your time:)

Your cover letter is more important than your CV. When you apply a job write your cover letter specifically around the essential criteria of that particular job. You can steal passages from other cover letters if they fit. Many people just use a generic cover letter and this is not the way to go.

On 10/03/2019 at 13:28, Dadda said:
Hi All, I was unable to find any page dedicated for a discussion about what to do after we receive visa 489/190 for SA. This page will be dedicated to all the queries related to, "what next once visa is granted". I recently received my visa sponsored by South Australia post which, I am planning to move to Adelaide with my wife around June end.

As I am going to start my journey, I am really glad that I found this page which can help this transition be smooth.

As we all know, it's a big risk to leave a good existing job and move to a new country and start everything from scratch
which is why, I am a little worried/exited/anxious about how should I plan from here and all of you who are going to reply will
play a big role in my upcoming decisions.

Just a little bit about myself:
I am a Tech-Lead (AWS | Azure | Web (Apache|NGINX) | Python scripting | DevOps) with 7+ years of experience with an IT company.

For now, I would really appreciate if someone can guide me with below questions:

1. What is the ground reality of job situation in Adelaide for above skill set?

2. Some of you might know that CV/Resume in India and Australia are very different and I have heard that companies
in Australia will first filter the resume (ATS powered algorithms) based on the keyword and it's quite difficult even to get an interview by stuffing your resume with the keywords mentioned in the job description; so what is the best way to make my resume to at least secure an interview, in short, any assistance will be heartily appreciated.

3. I need to rent an apartment in Adelaide and I have heard that we need to have some points (100 points is I know by now) to rent an apartment, so how do I manage to get them?

4. What are the documents I need to get a rented apartment apart from points?

5. What are the best websites/options to search a rented apartment in South Australia(specifically Adelaide)?

6. I will consider my self lucky if an IT person is reading my post and can forward my resume to their HR as I have heard
contacts or reference are the best ways to secure an interview. In this case it would really be nice if you could drop me an email: prashu.swaroop@gmail.com

Thank you in advance for your time:)

Adelaide can be a tough job market, but it depends what you do and what you are willing to do.  A lot of IT roles at the moment are defence based which require Australian Citizenship which knocks out most new arrivals.  There is still work around, but there is also a lot of competition for the roles.

22 hours ago, JetBlast said:

Your cover letter is more important than your CV. When you apply a job write your cover letter specifically around the essential criteria of that particular job. You can steal passages from other cover letters if they fit. Many people just use a generic cover letter and this is not the way to go.

I wouldn't say your cover letter is more important than your CV!  Obviously if you are asked to address specific criteria for a role then it is important to do that.  Agree a generic cover letter is not the best way to proceed.

On 10/03/2019 at 08:28, Dadda said:

have heard that we need to have some points (100 points is I know by now) to rent an apartment, so how do I manage to get them?

What are these points now...?

Can you tell...?

I wouldn't say your cover letter is more important than your CV!  Obviously if you are asked to address specific criteria for a role then it is important to do that.  Agree a generic cover letter is not the best way to proceed.
I would disagree. A CV is more about yourself and your past experience. There isn't enough space on there to adequately evidence why you meet the essential criteria (usually). In the cover letter you can address this specifically.

2 hours ago, JetBlast said:
4 hours ago, Jessica Berry said:

I would disagree. A CV is more about yourself and your past experience. There isn't enough space on there to adequately evidence why you meet the essential criteria (usually). In the cover letter you can address this specifically.

Erm....that’s what I said!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jessica Berry said:

You seem to contradict yourself in that statement.

The point is, you can have an absolutely stellar CV - but if you have a poor cover letter, chances are the employer won't even bother looking at the CV.  That's why the cover letter is so vital.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gurpreet ghotra said:

What are these points now...?

Can you tell...?

100 points are for identification. So each type of id document like a passport, bank card or drivers licence has a number of points attached to them. Most people in Australia would have 100 points of ID in their wallet. 

If you google Australia 100 points for id you should be able to get an official list up. They will accept some overseas documents as well, but the sooner you can get a medicare card, bank card etc the better. Sorry I can’t post a link, my baby iPad doesn’t like it! 

5 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

100 points are for identification. So each type of id document like a passport, bank card or drivers licence has a number of points attached to them. Most people in Australia would have 100 points of ID in their wallet. 

If you google Australia 100 points for id you should be able to get an official list up. They will accept some overseas documents as well, but the sooner you can get a medicare card, bank card etc the better. Sorry I can’t post a link, my baby iPad doesn’t like it! 

Thanks for the reply...