Query on 489 visa.

natea21

Hi there. Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I'm just looking for a little advice.

My aim is to emigrate to Australia as I have three brothers and a sister living in Brisbane, all settled and Australian citizens. I visited them in October and came away thinking 'yes this is for me'. Before that I hadn't really thought about it. Unfortunately timing wasn't great as I was struggling to make the points due to experience in my job being only two years. I've just hit three years this month, but now (even more unfortunately) I lose points due to turning 40 years old today.

My initial plan was to wait two years until I have five years work experience and then go for the 189/489 visa options but I have checked the 489 again today and realised that, even with the drop in points from my age, I still have 65 points total.

I am single and a registered nurse. I don't care where in Australia I go as I am looking at the long game of getting to Brisbane at some point. Being in Australia alone will bring me a lot closer to my family than I am at the moment.

My query is, should I attempt to apply for the 489 now with 65 points, or wait two more years and apply with 70? I know they say 65 and above but it seems like those with 65 wait a very long time, if not even time out of the application process.

Any advice anyone can give me would be welcome. Thank you

Claire x

In July all the quotas reset. Some states (South Australia) reduce the points on occupations. It may be that you could get in like that. It's how it happened for me. But you need to be prepared with a skills assessment ready to apply to the state as they can quickly fill up.

11 hours ago, natea21 said:

Thanks Iamngoc!! Am I reading that right? They're not currently taking anyone for the 489 with under 80 points?

Hi natea21, you are referring to 489 Family sponsored pathway, handled directly by DHA, and with very few invitation.

The other 489 is the State sponsored pathway which provides much more invitations. You can check for detais in State sponsor summary below that 189/489 FS point table in the link, and then go directly to the potential States' immigration website to understand more about the chance. That's what I did n got sponsored by a State. In some cases 65 pointers (incl 10 SS points) got sponsored.

On 04/03/2019 at 17:16, natea21 said:

Hi there. Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I'm just looking for a little advice.

My aim is to emigrate to Australia as I have three brothers and a sister living in Brisbane, all settled and Australian citizens. I visited them in October and came away thinking 'yes this is for me'. Before that I hadn't really thought about it. Unfortunately timing wasn't great as I was struggling to make the points due to experience in my job being only two years. I've just hit three years this month, but now (even more unfortunately) I lose points due to turning 40 years old today.

My initial plan was to wait two years until I have five years work experience and then go for the 189/489 visa options but I have checked the 489 again today and realised that, even with the drop in points from my age, I still have 65 points total.

I am single and a registered nurse. I don't care where in Australia I go as I am looking at the long game of getting to Brisbane at some point. Being in Australia alone will bring me a lot closer to my family than I am at the moment.

My query is, should I attempt to apply for the 489 now with 65 points, or wait two more years and apply with 70? I know they say 65 and above but it seems like those with 65 wait a very long time, if not even time out of the application process.

Any advice anyone can give me would be welcome. Thank you

Claire x

Hi Claire,

I did get invited from Southern Inland at 65 points for 489 in 2 weeks.

Hi, Im a nurse with only 2 years experience, I have just been invited to Southern Inaland NSW with 70 points on the 489. I really didnt think it would happen, im 38 this year and was starting to lose hope. Look at the different regional areas (some are still closed but look to open again in the next few months). I would get your skills assesment done and then apply.