House Hold Expenses

JetBlast

Hello,

I am starting to build a budget for living in Australia. Please can someone help with expenses in running a rented house in SA please? 

So far I have

• Rent
  • If a flat communal expenses such as garden maintenance.
  • Council Tax
  • Water
  • Electricity

Is there anything I might have missed please?

Thanks

Edited by JetBlast

You might be in luck. Certainly in Victoria the tenant doesn’t pay council tax the landlord does and the renter only pays water usage not the waste services charges. Sometimes usage is included in the rent as well!

You’ll need contents insurance, internet/phone andallow for the bond which is usually a months rent plus however many months of rent you might have to pay up front to get them to let you have the place! Just up fromt costs rather than ongoing though!

As it’s just you there probably isn’t much else beyond your food and commuting costs ongoing.

If I think of anything else I’ll pop back on! 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

Thank you so much for the reply. I will do some research into the bits about council tax etc. I have never had my own place in the UK either so its a double jump into the unknown!

This budgeting spreadsheet is great for anyone in a similar position: https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/media/559465/budget-planner.xls

I’m pretty sure all states are the same and the tenant doesn’t pay the council rates, so that is always good news!

Bring some references from your renting in the UK if you can, they can only help. Not sure how competitive the market in SA is for rentals but could assist you landing something nicer. 😊

Good luck. It must be getting real for you now.

12 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

I haven't rented before. I am still at home in the UK. Might be a problem!

Yes, sorry I misunderstood! D’OH!

Not necessarily a problem. Money talks! The more you can offer up front the better! If you have a job to go to that will help, having a proof of employment. You’ll work it out. You’ve got this far! 😎

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

Yes, sorry I misunderstood! D’OH!

Not necessarily a problem. Money talks! The more you can offer up front the better! If you have a job to go to that will help, having a proof of employment. You’ll work it out. You’ve got this far! 😎

Cheers. I have savings in an Australian account already. Showing them a statement should put some confidence in them. (hopefully)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JetBlast said:

Hello,

I am starting to build a budget for living in Australia. Please can someone help with expenses in running a rented house in SA please? 

So far I have

• Rent
  • If a flat communal expenses such as garden maintenance.
  • Council Tax
  • Water
  • Electricity

Is there anything I might have missed please?

Thanks

Internet? Not a necessity but if you want it budget between $50-$80 per month depending on location. The more you pay the faster the speeds you get, that was our experience in WA anyway. We lived off Netflix and downloads as TV wasn't great

Mobile phone costs? Look at Optus and Telstra online for a rough idea of monthly costs depending on your needs. If your current handset is in good condition get it unlocked and get a SIM only deal or prepay (pay as you go) deal in Australia for  big savings

For rentals I wrote a covering letter explaining I'd just arrived, was employed and provided a bank statement showing I had the funds to cover 6 month's rent even without employment. On arrival I stayed in temporary accommodation for 1 month and used the owner of the temporary accommodation as a local rental reference saying I paid, place was left clean etc. Along with the covering letter, evidence of employment and bank statement with funds it was enough to secure a long term rental property

Edited by MacGyver
  • Like 3

Thanks for the reply. I had thought of phone and internet but for some reason I didn't list them. I have been looking at Optus and they seem good value. I will be doing SIM only and using my own mobile, I do this in the UK anyway and save a packet. 

Thanks for the reply. much appreciated.

19 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

Thanks for the reply. I had thought of phone and internet but for some reason I didn't list them. I have been looking at Optus and they seem good value. I will be doing SIM only and using my own mobile, I do this in the UK anyway and save a packet. 

Thanks for the reply. much appreciated.

We have our internet and tv package with Optus and the prices are reasonable. As long as everything is going well they’re fine but when there was  a problem (we moved house) we weren’t happy at all.  Impossible to get through on the phone when the service wasn’t reinstated as promised, promised technicians didn’t turn up at the house on the morning arranged and we found they had cancelled them without telling us ... I sat in a phone queue for forty minutes one morning listening to all the usual “your call is important to us” messages, then someone just hung up on me.  If you go on Facebook there’s a page called something like “Optus exposed”.   I’d shop around a bit if I were you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JetBlast said:

Just had a look. They all seem to be pay as you go plans though.

We have Lebara at the moment and it's pretty good.

If you're renting a place, it may not be worth it to get internet installed, because there's usually a high upfront connection fee . We just use our mobile phone plans and connect our laptop and TV to them.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

If you're renting a place, it may not be worth it to get internet installed, because there's usually a high upfront connection fee . We just use our mobile phone plans and connect our laptop and TV to them.

I won't be able to do that as I use a lot of bandwidth. It will use all the mobile usage in a day 🙂

I have Aldi mobile and live in Adelaide Hills, no issue with coverage and loads of Data. They use Optus network. Hubble has Telstra and doesn’t seem any better wherever we are. 

Have you looked at sharing a house, makes the bills a lot cheaper. Look at www.flatmates.com.au. 

Both my sons used it and are sharing nice places with like minded people. 

Edited by rammygirl

3 hours ago, rammygirl said:

I have Aldi mobile and live in Adelaide Hills, no issue with coverage and loads of Data. They use Optus network. Hubble has Telstra and doesn’t seem any better wherever we are. 

Have you looked at sharing a house, makes the bills a lot cheaper. Look at www.flatmates.com.au. 

Both my sons used it and are sharing nice places with like minded people. 

Actually Aldi use the Telstra network. 

Could explain why it's no different to your husband's 😉

Agree about sharing a house on first arrival. It's a great way to meet people and keep the costs down.

Edited by NickyNook

30 minutes ago, NickyNook said:

Actually Aldi use the Telstra network. 

Could explain why it's no different to your husband's 😉

Agree about sharing a house on first arrival. It's a great way to meet people and keep the costs down.

Oops yes. So they do. I think it was my Virgin one that used Optus. My bad. 

• 1 month later...
On 04/03/2019 at 18:21, leighmarsh151084 said:

Check Aldi mobile jet. I've seen some good deals with them and think you can do a coverage locator.

Just looking at this and Aldi looked like a good option. But they need an Australian number to order a SIM 😫

You just go into an ALDI store when you get here and buy a sim, you will need internet to set it up so a cafe would do. Set up auto recharge for the pack you want and you will be up and running in less than 24 hours. It is really simple. If you find something better later you are not tied to a contract. 

• 3 weeks later...