Medical Records

My partner and I are preparing to move to OZ later this year. Some emigration checklists mention getting transfer files from your doctor, dentist, etc. I just wanted to know if this is actually necessary, or if it is your personal choice. Neither of us have complicated medical histories. Thanks for any advice.

When I moved 13 years ago they weren’t interested even though I had them. Both doctors and dentist were happy to run their own assessments and start records from scratch. If you don’t have anything exciting in your history I wouldn’t worry. 

If your job is one that requires certain immunisations then bring proof of those as it might help and save blood tests etc.

I have found the same moving back to the UK last year. I have a very “vanilla “ health record!

Good luck!

Just to reconfirm this - we are currently doing the same (actually moving in a few weeks) and read about the transfer of medical notes etc and started to ask the questions.  The optitians looked at me a bit odd, grabbed out my hand written notes over 20+ years that were the size of a brick and said that they could give me a copy of my prescription (which I already have), the receptionist in the dentist had clearly never been asked such a question (!) but then after conferring said that if there are any issues get the practice in Australia to email and I'm fairly sure that the Doctors will say the same.  

As Amber says, they will do their own assessments if and when necessary.