AUS health insurance - UK medical history?

mrwhatshisface

hi folks

me, my wife and kids are emigrating later this year to melbourne 👍

can anyone offer some advice re health care? I assume Aus health insurers will want our medical histories from the UK. Should i bring those as a print out from our GP?

Also, my medical history has a few ‘issues’ Nothing too serious but nevertheless I assume anything that looks like it presents a risk to the Aus insurer will be flagged up and excluded on their policy?

Does anyone have experience of this situation?

very much appreciate any advice

❤️

If you are referring to normal Australian domestic private health insurance policies - and you're on a PR visa -  then there is no need to bring any history from the UK.

Private health Insurance here is based on community risk and everyone is automatically covered for any previous conditions. You only need to pass the relevant waiting periods before making any claim (usually a year but can be less for some items) and you're good to go. You won't be charged any more for your policy than anyone else and you don't even need to declare any previous health problems. No questions, no medicals, just pay your premium. 

Same with Medicare (public health care) - you're covered immediately for everything regardless of previous health issues.

Note that I'm only referring to Health Insurance here. Life Insurance and Travel insurance is different - you do have to declare previous health issues for those.

Edited by NickyNook

thanks for the quick reply and advice Nicky

yes, i am on a PR visa, my wife is Australian and the kids have dual citizenship

this ‘anything goes’ idea seems too good to be true! what if, hyperthetically, someone had a major condition existing - surely the insurer wouldnt just take that on?

appreciate your advice

Doesn't matter what your existing conditions are. Insurers HAVE to take them on. You can be at death's door from heart disease or cancer but the health funds must insure you.

You won't be able to claim anything for the first year but after that all your pre-existing conditions are covered.

See here: https://www.privatehealth.gov.au/healthinsurance/howitworks/waitingperiods.htm

Where it states:

'Even if you have a pre-existing condition, health funds must allow you to purchase any type of cover, at the same price as every other person. Once you have served any waiting periods, you will be entitled to claim.'