Coming home! any advice?

Jemvin

So we got approved which means we are coming home, me my Australia. Partner and our 3yr old son. We’ve got 3 months to sort everything out, we will be renting our house out here. First time I’ve ever moved properly let alone across the globe! I came to Aus with a backpack! Any advice would be greatly appreciated to those that have already done it!  

1 minute ago, Quoll said:

Good luck!  I've tended to move with backpack only.  Declutter and be ruthless.

Yes...be brutal.  We took personal stuff only.  A house load of ugly garish wooden furniture....we just held a garage sale...the whole blooming lot, sold in 2 days.  Just get rid.  Nobody wants that horrid heavy wooden stuff they all go crazy for out there.

I'd look on it the same as doing the move the other way - de clutter, but think about what you will need to buy to furnish a home - is it going to cost more than shipping those items you already have?  If it is, I'd consider taking it with me so that you have less to buy and don't have to be buying on impulse.

Good luck with the move.

I'd look on it the same as doing the move the other way - de clutter, but think about what you will need to buy to furnish a home - is it going to cost more than shipping those items you already have?  If it is, I'd consider taking it with me so that you have less to buy and don't have to be buying on impulse.

Good luck with the move.

Thanks everyone that’s what we were thinking! I think we are gonna go for a move cube and just buy new furniture as most of what we have here wouldn’t be suitable anyway. I just hope we manage to sell most of it 

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Sarahelle said:

It's depressing.  I just want to go home. 

One thing to check up on.   If you're applying on the basis of your income, then the rule is that your current job must meet or exceed the income threshold (even if it's in Australia), and you are returning to take a job in the UK within three months of arrival.   

What I'm not clear about is this:  does that mean there has to be a job waiting in the UK, or does it just mean you're intending to find a job within three months?  

It would be worth researching.

Remember also that it's not an either/or rule.  You can use a combination of income and savings.  I found a calculator, but i have no idea whether it's still current or not.

https://crossborderlegal.co.uk/spouse-visa-income-threshold-savings-calculator/

Here's some information about moving to Ireland.  As a UK citizen you've got no formalities to worry about and it's an English-speaking country, plus it's right next door!

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/rights_of_residence_in_ireland/residence_rules_UK_citizens.html

Annoyingly, it says nothing about a financial requirement and I can't find it anywhere else either. It's just possible there isn't one, fingers crossed.  Maybe you could try contacting the Citizens Information to see what they say.

In the case of Ireland, he would apply for a short stay visa (Visa C) then apply for a longer stay visa once he's in the country.  

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Family+Members+of+EU_EEA+_Swiss+citizens

I'd say Ireland would be a safer bet than other European countries, because even after Brexit, Ireland is likely to retain closer ties to the UK and therefore you'll have a better chance of eventually making the transition back to the UK.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Thanks so much for your help Marisawright - I'll definitely be looking into it.  We've played around with figures before but we're definitely set on trying to get back to UK.  Luckily my husband is homesick for the UK too (he lived there nearly ten years) so he's willing which is half the battle. 

Jemvin: Apologies for hijacking your thread :o.  No, no UK/European grandparents unfortunately - only great grandparents.  The annoying thing is my husband had ILR but didn't bother getting a passport as we assumed we could do defacto then all the rules changed.   I cannot tell you how much we regret that lol. 

On 16/05/2019 at 11:44, Sarahelle said:

Thanks so much for your help Marisawright - I'll definitely be looking into it.  We've played around with figures before but we're definitely set on trying to get back to UK.  Luckily my husband is homesick for the UK too (he lived there nearly ten years) so he's willing which is half the battle. 

Jemvin: Apologies for hijacking your thread :o.  No, no UK/European grandparents unfortunately - only great grandparents.  The annoying thing is my husband had ILR but didn't bother getting a passport as we assumed we could do defacto then all the rules changed.   I cannot tell you how much we regret that lol. 

No worries at all! I wish you the best of luck I know how you feel!