Schooling / education

Good afternoon, We are considering a temp resident visa from UK to Australia and wishing to understand the charges that would apply for secondary school education for our 2 daughters, (13/15 years) Does anyone have any info on what the current state school charging system is for WA / VIC ? I work in the health industry as a paramedic officer in UK but looking to explore work in Mines, GP surgeries, Ambo service, Hospitals, education to work as a practitioner etc and my wife has experience in both community support for stroke victims or the travel industry as a travel agent / FX. 

Any suggestions on the educational charges that would apply / or ideas on employers for the above roles please feel free to share?

Thank you 

Before you start asking questions about schooling, have you investigated whether you can even get a visa?    If you have investigated, you can safely ignore my reply.  If not, here's a short explanation of the current visa situation.

It used to be that you could find an employer to sponsor you for a temp visa, then after a few years you'd have a very good chance of getting a permanent visa.  That's not the case now - in fact, in some occupations you're blocked from even applying for a permanent visa.    Even if your occupation isn't blocked, there are so many risks and variables now, the chance of failure is high. So if you want to apply for a temp visa, you should view it as an adventure and assume you'll be going home at the end - so you have to consider how that would affect your children's education.

If you do want to go for the adventure, then be aware that employers can't sponsor an employee for just any job.  The occupation must be on an official list of occupations drawn up by the government. Then they're only allowed to hire people who have the qualifications and experience specified on that list - not someone who's never done the job before.  So your first step is to find out whether paramedic, or any of your alternative jobs, is on the lists - and then, whether you've got the required qualifications and experience.  

If you're looking at nurse practitioner jobs, then you need to be registered with the relevant authorities in Australia before you can be employed, and I believe that's quite a slow procedure which can take several months.

Let's assume you've jumped through all those hoops.  The next step will be finding an employer who's interested.   Australia isn't a developing country desperate for workers any more - the unemployment rate is about the same as the UK - so employers are rarely completely stuck for candidates, and they'll usually settle for a mediocre local candidate rather than go through the tedious and expensive process of sponsoring someone from overseas.  So you may find it takes months or years to secure an offer. 

In a nutshell, if you're considering emigrating to Australia, bite the bullet and apply for a permanent visa now (if you're eligible). A temporary visa isn't a sensible path to migration any more, especially with kids in tow.

• Like 2

I would add that your kids’ ages are against you too, they’re coming up to crucial education time and though the 13 year old might just squeak through and return without deficit, the 15 yr old would be up for international student fees if they decided to try for Uni at 18 after 3 yrs in Australia. In WA the school fees would be about $4k per family, in Vic temporary residents aren’t charged. If you left your eldest in U.K. to get through GCSE and A levels she’d probably be better off than trying to get into Uni with an Australian yr 12 cert then paying international fees.g 

As for employment - my paramedic niece has had to leave Victoria because jobs are hard to come by and she’s gone down to Tassie. I think there’s rather a glut of paramedics. 

Ditto what has already been said about visas and sponsorship.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the information and a balanced but realistic viewpoint, we are hoping we would be able to secure a PR Visa 186 as age is certainly against me but not my wife! Education is one of the topics we need to consider and appreciate the thoughts posted. Interesting that WA charge and yet VIC don't, is that the same for all other states? 

9 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Thank you all for the information and a balanced but realistic viewpoint, we are hoping we would be able to secure a PR Visa 186 as age is certainly against me but not my wife! Education is one of the topics we need to consider and appreciate the thoughts posted. Interesting that WA charge and yet VIC don't, is that the same for all other states? 

I wonder how the 186 will help if age is against you now?  The threshold for the 186 used to be 50, but it's now been lowered to 45, same as other permanent visas.  

Also make sure your skill is on the medium term list not the short term list - if it's on the short term list, then you are not allowed to apply for the 186.

Edited by Marisawright

NSW, SA and ACT charge, more than WA generally too.

It’s the cost you will incur after you return to U.K. that should give you pause. International Uni fees are eye watering and even if Aus yr 12 scores could get your daughter into a course she might have to do a Foundation year and pay international fees throughout.

Its a minefield I know but something we are keen to overcome!

Sorry not 186 but 190 PR is the only way we can see at the moment, however my wife doesn't get the required 65 points 😞 which  are required. The only other option we can see is start our adventure in NZ then move to Oz after the minimum period in NZ, perhaps that'll help us get to Perth as our No.1 choice after a visit a few years ago. Just a shame the Ambo service in WA wasn't employing any Overseas staff and hasn't since we returned in May 2016. The whole route to NZ seems to be a fairer option and one I think needs further exploring ! 

10 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Its a minefield I know but something we are keen to overcome!

Sorry not 186 but 190 PR is the only way we can see at the moment, however my wife doesn't get the required 65 points 😞 which  are required. The only other option we can see is start our adventure in NZ then move to Oz after the minimum period in NZ, perhaps that'll help us get to Perth as our No.1 choice after a visit a few years ago. Just a shame the Ambo service in WA wasn't employing any Overseas staff and hasn't since we returned in May 2016. The whole route to NZ seems to be a fairer option and one I think needs further exploring ! 

The 190 isn’t a temp visa it’s permanent, so why were you asking about temp visas?