register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Red Rose

Your favourite city in the world

17 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Here you go again ,talking more BS , the thread is asking what your fav city is so that means it can be any you like , have a day off mate  have you ever visited Chester ?

It’s one of the most  popular cities that Americans  visit  the history that is on display is amazing from Roman through medieval to present day , It was the main Roman city in the uk during their time there. 

just so you know about city status requirements

Does a town need a cathedral to become a city? ... All UK towns (through their local council) can apply to become a city, whether they have an Anglican cathedral or not. There are 18 cities without a cathedral and 13 towns which have an Anglican cathedral but do not have city status.

Yes, I have been there.  Nice place.

Have you been to St David’s?  That’s a pretty city.  😉

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

8 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Yes, I have been there.  Nice place.

Have you been to St David’s?  That’s a pretty city.  😉

No I haven’t but been to St Asaph many times 

Amsterdam,first big job in the  70,s,Chinatown was great and long gone.

Bangkok in the 70, s ,third world and made me realise how lucky I was to win the birth lottery.

Anywhere in Germany almost,but Berlin before the wall came down,birth lottery again. All those graves with

Unbekant  ( unknown)

Gestorben am  ( died on )

numbers for date of murder by the snipers in the pillboxes over the small wall and river.

Vancouver 

I, m a wherever I lay my hat that's my home type.

Never keen on the US

• Like 1

Either Edinburgh or York. Not sure I could choose between them. Both full of history, loads going on... I've spent more time in Edinburgh (being in Kinross it's only a stones throw really), but I have been to York a couple of times and spent loads of time just walking all over. I'd be happy to live in/near either.

A friend took me to Glasgow the other weekend, and I was surprised how much I liked that. He was telling me that Glasgow has more green space than almost anywhere in the UK (Birmingham has more, I think). We had a lovely day at the Kelvingrove Museum and walking round the university area, and I'd definitely like to go back for more of a look. I also like Birmingham, but then I was born/raised there, so I'm biased!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, LKC said:

Either Edinburgh or York. Not sure I could choose between them. Both full of history, loads going on... I've spent more time in Edinburgh (being in Kinross it's only a stones throw really), but I have been to York a couple of times and spent loads of time just walking all over. I'd be happy to live in/near either.

A friend took me to Glasgow the other weekend, and I was surprised how much I liked that. He was telling me that Glasgow has more green space than almost anywhere in the UK (Birmingham has more, I think). We had a lovely day at the Kelvingrove Museum and walking round the university area, and I'd definitely like to go back for more of a look. I also like Birmingham, but then I was born/raised there, so I'm biased!

Glasgow is a great place!  Glasgow is derived from the gaelic word 'Glaschu' meaning green hollow or green place.  The city has over 90 parks and formal gardens. 👍 

• Like 4

I recently visited Montevideo as Uruguay has been on my bucket list for a very long time, I love cities with a Spanish influence the architecture is usually amazing and Montevideo didn't let me down already planning a longer trip to explore more.

Have to agree with @LKC though both York and Edinburgh are amazing cities.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Toots said:

Glasgow is a great place!  Glasgow is derived from the gaelic word 'Glaschu' meaning green hollow or green place.  The city has over 90 parks and formal gardens. 👍 

Mmm not from Scotland but worked in Glasgow a lot when I worked for O2 back in the UK always found it a very poor neighbour to Edinburgh in most aspects.

20 hours ago, LKC said:

Lived in Edinburgh for a year and don’t remember a single solitary thing about it.  Not sure if that’s good or bad..

2 hours ago, Bulya said:

Lived in Edinburgh for a year and don’t remember a single solitary thing about it.  Not sure if that’s good or bad..

Had the good fortune to spend a long weekend there back in the early noughties. The beauty of the architecture, the history, and the friendliness of the people were striking and have lived long in the memory.

Obviously not as good as any Australian city though. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

Mmm not from Scotland but worked in Glasgow a lot when I worked for O2 back in the UK always found it a very poor neighbour to Edinburgh in most aspects.

I'd only been to Glasgow once before, to sit some exams at the uni, and wasn't impressed, mostly because my boss had booked me into the dodgiest hotel in the worst area, I think!  However, this was quite some time ago, and actually I really liked it this time.  I'd definitely like to go back for a look at more of it.  I don't think you could compare it to Edinburgh, but it seems like a nice place.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LKC said:

I'd only been to Glasgow once before, to sit some exams at the uni, and wasn't impressed, mostly because my boss had booked me into the dodgiest hotel in the worst area, I think!  However, this was quite some time ago, and actually I really liked it this time.  I'd definitely like to go back for a look at more of it.  I don't think you could compare it to Edinburgh, but it seems like a nice place.

Glasgow has a totally different feel about it compared to Edinburgh.  When I was growing up it had a bad reputation for being very 'rough' but I got to know it fairly well later on when I worked in a pub next to Loch Lomond for 3 months over a summer way back when.  I used to go into Glasgow often then.  I would say the people in Glasgow are similar to the Liverpool people.  Friendly with a really good sense of humour.  Edinburgh folk are supposed to be a bit posher.  Don't know if that's a fact or not.  My sister loves living in Edinburgh.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bulya said:

How old were you then?  Understandable if you were a young child.  

I've seen many cities in my time and Edinburgh is still my favourite.  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toots said:

How old were you then?  Understandable if you were a young child.  

I've seen many cities in my time and Edinburgh is still my favourite.  🙂

You spotted it.  1955 until 1956, from what I can work out.

• Like 1

Perth
Manchester
San Francisco

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

On 01/03/2019 at 22:27, Parley said:

Melbourne.

I don't 'get' Melbourne. I liked st Kilda, but I was just a bit lost in the city centre. But then Perth city centre is like that. Maybe you have to live there to truly understand it. I was only there for a few days. Sydney I 'got', but then Sydney is obvious.

23 minutes ago, newjez said:

I don't 'get' Melbourne. I liked st Kilda, but I was just a bit lost in the city centre. But then Perth city centre is like that. Maybe you have to live there to truly understand it. I was only there for a few days. Sydney I 'got', but then Sydney is obvious.

I didn’t ‘get’ Melbourne after two years there.  Very strange place 

On 30/03/2019 at 10:09, Sandgroper said:

Got lucky in Glasgow, so I rate it pretty highly. Bunch of kids tried to mug me and my mates in Edinburgh, so I'm less fond of it, although it is the prettier of the two.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, newjez said:

Got lucky in Glasgow, so I rate it pretty highly. Bunch of kids tried to mug me and my mates in Edinburgh, so I'm less fond of it, although it is the prettier of the two.

I always think of Sydney and Edinburgh as stunning places to visit as a tourist, with immediately obvious beauty and a lot of surface level attraction but dig deeper and move away from the tourist spots and there isn't as much there.

Whereas Melbourne and Glasgow can be a bit ugly on the surface with rough edges, but dig deeper and there is real depth to their charms and both ooze life and energy and "culture".

I personally prefer the gritty appeal of Glasgow but Edinburgh is a beautiful city by any measure

• Thanks 1

:evilface_frowning_s

Slight deviation, but still about cities/countries … has anyone been to Japan, how easy is it to travel from Tokyo to other cities/sites like Mt. Fuji and Hiroshima?

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, ali said:

Slight deviation, but still about cities/countries … has anyone been to Japan, how easy is it to travel from Tokyo to other cities/sites like Mt. Fuji and Hiroshima?

We went last November. Used the bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto, no problem, bought a special ticket? I think ours was valid for a week? So impressed with the trains. We actually went on a day trip to Mt Fuji, luckily a really clear day, which included other places by bus, which was fine.

We weren’t there long so only went to Tokyo and Kyoto which we really enjoyed, and saw several Geisha and had a great tea ceremony there. We found it difficult to find interesting places to eat, and should have googled for suggestions. 

Survived the Shibuya crossing in Tokyo, go to the 1st floor of Starbucks for the best view.

Let me know if you want to know where we stayed in Tokyo, or anything else.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ramot said:

We went last November. Used the bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto, no problem, bought a special ticket? I think ours was valid for a week? So impressed with the trains. We actually went on a day trip to Mt Fuji, luckily a really clear day, which included other places by bus, which was fine.

We weren’t there long so only went to Tokyo and Kyoto which we really enjoyed, and saw several Geisha and had a great tea ceremony there. We found it difficult to find interesting places to eat, and should have googled for suggestions. 

Survived the Shibuya crossing in Tokyo, go to the 1st floor of Starbucks for the best view.

Let me know if you want to know where we stayed in Tokyo, or anything else.

Thanks Ramot - we're debating our next holiday and were talking about Japan and China.  Will definitely be in touch if we decide Japan

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

2 hours ago, ali said:

Thanks Ramot - we're debating our next holiday and were talking about Japan and China.  Will definitely be in touch if we decide Japan

Have been to China several times so might be able to help, when you decide.

Next year Tokyo is hosting the Olympics so could be very busy and expensive.

33 minutes ago, ramot said:

Have been to China several times so might be able to help, when you decide.

Next year Tokyo is hosting the Olympics so could be very busy and expensive.

Hadn't thought of the Olympics - will avoid July/Aug if we go

4 hours ago, ali said:

Have you been to India?  Don’t count it out, it’s beyond amazing 

• Like 1