Long term outlook for kids

FirstWorldProblems

4 minutes ago, Skani said:

No....Sydney has been like that for as long as I can remember - and I worked there in the 1960s.   I always think of it as a brash, ostentatious woman - flaunting the gaudiest hats and throwing the most extravagant parties.  The Los Angeles of Australia.     Maybe it's never recovered from being overlooked as the capital of Australia -  its rightful position in its opinion - and has to overcompensate.  😏

There are also plenty of ordinary people in Sydney - you are talking about how the other half live.  😄  I never owned a so called designer suit to work  and have never paid more than 30 bucks at a hairdresser.  Those 'other half' even speak differently with a strange north shore type of accent.  Plenty of flash gits around though I do admit to that.  Never mixed with them though.

3 hours ago, Quoll said:

Property is still very expensive and, much as I am a Canberran and I defend it, my concern with Canberra would be employment. It's very much a PS town and the bulk of positions require citizenship and for someone in their mid 40s who isn't a citizen, there could be a challenge to get into the workforce if their background is public service IT.

Canberra also has a very high percentage of HS private school kids (the Ed Dept claims is because parents are wealthy and up themselves but it's probably more because they don't like the gov school options) so education could be a bit hmm. 

But if you have to live anywhere in Australia, it's not that bad a place to be.

It’s the best place, and I’ve lived all over.  It isn’t the ps city it was as the latest figures I heard on the radio approx two weeks ago had 66% in private industry and rising.  A significant proportion of the rest are military and students.  Renting now the most expensive having passed Sydney.  

32 minutes ago, Toots said:

There are also plenty of ordinary people in Sydney - you are talking about how the other half live.  😄  

Oh, I know that.  But if you had to characterise cities as a person, that's how I would picture Sydney.   Melbourne would also be a woman...but more elegant.  😀

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Skani said:

No....Sydney has been like that for as long as I can remember - and I worked there in the 1960s.   I always think of it as a brash, ostentatious woman - flaunting the gaudiest hats and throwing the most extravagant parties.  The Los Angeles of Australia.     Maybe it's never recovered from being overlooked as the capital of Australia -  its rightful position in its opinion - and has to overcompensate.  😏

I arrived in the 1980's and I agree, parts of Sydney society were like that even then.  But then it was confined to the very affluent North Shore and Eastern Suburbanites.  Now it seems to be widespread, to people who really can't (or shouldn't) afford to live that way.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Marisawright said:

When you say you could be located anywhere in Australia, is that because you think you could work from home?   

You are right. It’s not possible to predict. Certainly it would depend on the role and company culture, but I’d expect to be field based and travelling a lot. 

Edited by FirstWorldProblems

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I arrived in the 1980's and I agree, parts of Sydney society were like that even then.  But then it was confined to the very affluent North Shore and Eastern Suburbanites.  Now it seems to be widespread, to people who really can't (or shouldn't) afford to live that way.

It’s absolutely bonkers. If people genuinely think less of you because your 9 year olds birthday party didn’t have $500 of balloons and a $400 cake, those aren’t the people who’s opinions you should care about. 

I’ve tried that aregument countless times, but I guess some people feel the peer pressure much greater than others. 

Edited by FirstWorldProblems
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

. If people genuinely think less of you because your 9 year olds birthday party didn’t have $500 of balloons and a $400 cake, those aren’t the people who’s opinions you should care about. 

Known as "cashed up bogans" in my neck of the woods.  😀   Here the latest trend is....whose 9 year old can have the least wasteful, most plastic free party.  Balloons are verboten  (get into the oceans and kill marine life),  glitter also  (has micro particles of plastic)....and which is the most recycleable form of wrapping?  Very earnest discussions on social media here at the moment.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Skani said:

Known as "cashed up bogans" in my neck of the woods.  😀   Here the latest trend is....whose 9 year old can have the least wasteful, most plastic free party.  Balloons are verboten  (get into the oceans and kill marine life),  glitter also  (has micro particles of plastic)....and which is the most recycleable form of wrapping?  Very earnest discussions on social media here at the moment.  

Kind of like what used to be called nouveau riche - lots of money but no class.  Met a few in my time but have managed to avoid them in my old age.  Ghastly people.  😋

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Toots said:

Kind of like what used to be called nouveau riche - lots of money but no class.  Met a few in my time but have managed to avoid them in my old age.  Ghastly people.  😋

UK was like that pre GFC. Give it time...

6 hours ago, Skani said:

Well if they are going to have a “competition “ then who can be the most environmentally friendly is a great one! I’m impressed! 😀

• Like 2

Hi all, I have to be honest I’m moving from Greater London to Sydney area (Newcastle , central coast or Wollongong) and I have a 3 year old and a baby on the way and I have to be honest that all this stuff has really scared me in terms of the people we’ll be encountering. House prices where I am currently are insane and no one can do it without parental help

14 minutes ago, scubacam said:

Hi all, I have to be honest I’m moving from Greater London to Sydney area (Newcastle , central coast or Wollongong) and I have a 3 year old and a baby on the way and I have to be honest that all this stuff has really scared me in terms of the people we’ll be encountering. House prices where I am currently are insane and no one can do it without parental help

Newcastle and Wollongong are not "Sydney area".  They are completely separate cities with their own character, so don't let it worry you.

Also, neither Newcastle nor Wollongong are reasonable commuting distance to Sydney so they are not affected by Sydney house prices.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, scubacam said:

If you think Newcastle and Wollongong are ‘Sydney area’, you need to do a little more research.  And fwiw take Newcastle over Wollongong 

• Like 1

I'm not keen on Sydney either ( not many Melbournites are, traditionally!).  For a long weekend it is the best but that is enough.  Rather have Adelaide  though it is a bit small. Nup, you can't beat Melbourne.  I'm not that familiar with Canberra these days but I have heard it is ok now and quite a vibrant place to what it was last time I went there about 1990. House prices are dropping in certain parts of Melbourne, specially near the city and it is about time because they have been ridiculous. Keep an eye out on realestate.com.au.

I tend to agree that from what I have seen moving to a Kellyville or somewhere an hour from the CBD is not something that would be tempt me to move to Sydney.  Sydney for me is the Harbour or the beaches, and if I cannot see either then I would rather try Perth, which is what we are doing.  Even on what was likely to be a $200k salary.

• Like 2

My daughter and her boyfriend live in Sydney , which they have been there for just short of 2years . They are 23 years old and currently renting their property. They both have permanent jobs and both been promoted since starting there . They are really enjoying their life in Sydney and are managing the cost of living pretty well  to say neither of them had experience of running a household before . They have no family in Sydney as we are in Queensland and the rest back in the Uk . They went there with very little savings as was travelling Australia prior to settling there . They are even managing to save a little which they have used to buy household goods and return flights back to the Uk . They have made many friends , and seem to manage  their wages well to enable them to enjoy a very good social life too. They plan to stay in Sydney whilst my daughters boyfriend completes his 3 years training which he started last year , but they are not clear on their plans after this of whether to stay  in Sydney or come back to Queensland where they started. They both went back to the UK at Christmas and couldn’t wait to get back to Sydney, they were both shocked at how miserable and skint there friends were and how little they had moved on with their lives . They have embraced their life in Australia and this is where they see there future . 

We are in Sydney for a few days as our daughter had her citizenship ceremony. Quite a few there in their 30/40’s getting theirs as well. Spoke to the young man sitting next to me, been in Sydney several years, and doing well and loving it. Daughter and partner renting central Sydney, love living, close to work and close to restaurants and bars.  Not able to buy there but accept that it’s where they choose to live. I doubt they could afford to buy in central London either

We went to the British pub the Duke of Clarence for a drink and meal at lunchtime, it was full of people mostly in their 20’s plus, including a few oldies like us, enjoying life. It’s easy to paint a depressing picture of life in Sydney, but my daughter and partner have a great social life, and the pub was humming, as were all the cafes we passed.

2 hours ago, Jojoe said:

My daughter and her boyfriend live in Sydney , which they have been there for just short of 2years . They are 23 years old and currently renting their property. They both have permanent jobs and both been promoted since starting there . They are really enjoying their life in Sydney and are managing the cost of living pretty well  to say neither of them had experience of running a household before . They have no family in Sydney as we are in Queensland and the rest back in the Uk . They went there with very little savings as was travelling Australia prior to settling there . They are even managing to save a little which they have used to buy household goods and return flights back to the Uk . They have made many friends , and seem to manage  their wages well to enable them to enjoy a very good social life too. 

Sydney is a great place for young people with no kids, who can be comfortable in a small rented flat. It’s a fun city. The difficulty starts when you decide to start a family and need a bigger place, or want to buy. People say rents are high in Sydney but they haven’t kept up with house purchase prices 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parley said:

Sydney thouse prices have already fallen by over 11% since their peak and will drop a lot more.

Yes, but the median house price is still around $1 million which is out of reach for most income earners.

• Like 1