Radio stations in Sydney

mxh

I'm looking for suggestions for radio stations in Sydney that are worth listening to. This is for my commute to work and back in an old car that doesn't have a USB port, or any other connectivity. And also when I'm pottering in the garage - also on an old style, analog radio.

In the UK, I'd listen to either Absolute Radio, or BBC R2 - both of which had a good mix of music that I like / can tolerate (ie middle of the road to rock / Indie) and talk (generally not the inane banter that a lot of commercial radio stations seem to have - have you ever tried listening to Kyle Sandilands?)

For the last few years in Sydney I've been listening to the Triple M Grill Team in the morning, but have struggled with the afternoons since they started with (so called) comedians as DJs (Merrick Watts, and now Mick Molloy). But I've finally given up with Triple M now they have another 'comedian' (Laurence Mooney) in the morning. 

Strangely, as someone with advancing years (40+) I find that the 'kids' on Triple J seem to offer the most adult sounding discussions ('Hack' in particular is good) - but whilst I love some of the music they play, some of it is err, really not to my taste!

I've also tried the talkback radio stations on AM, but a) the reception in the car is terrible and b) there's only so much Alan Jones you can listen to,

So, any other suggestions for a Sydney radio station that might be worth a listen?

No idea but the answer is "probably not". I turned my radio off in Perth about 8 years ago as most stations only seem to have 10 records and the chat in between them is inane in the extreme. I stream R2 now, appreciate that's not an option for you though. You have my sympathy.

4 hours ago, mxh said:

I'm looking for suggestions for radio stations in Sydney that are worth listening to. This is for my commute to work and back in an old car that doesn't have a USB port, or any other connectivity. And also when I'm pottering in the garage - also on an old style, analog radio.

In the UK, I'd listen to either Absolute Radio, or BBC R2 - both of which had a good mix of music that I like / can tolerate (ie middle of the road to rock / Indie) and talk (generally not the inane banter that a lot of commercial radio stations seem to have - have you ever tried listening to Kyle Sandilands?)

For the last few years in Sydney I've been listening to the Triple M Grill Team in the morning, but have struggled with the afternoons since they started with (so called) comedians as DJs (Merrick Watts, and now Mick Molloy). But I've finally given up with Triple M now they have another 'comedian' (Laurence Mooney) in the morning. 

Strangely, as someone with advancing years (40+) I find that the 'kids' on Triple J seem to offer the most adult sounding discussions ('Hack' in particular is good) - but whilst I love some of the music they play, some of it is err, really not to my taste!

I've also tried the talkback radio stations on AM, but a) the reception in the car is terrible and b) there's only so much Alan Jones you can listen to,

So, any other suggestions for a Sydney radio station that might be worth a listen?

Sydney has a squillion radio stations.  Do an auto scan and see what pops up 

1 hour ago, Bulya said:

Sydney has a squillion radio stations.  Do an auto scan and see what pops up 

Without wishing to sound ungrateful for your input, that doesn't really help much. 

The problem with this is that you need a bit of time to get to know a program / presenter / station. So if you can narrow it down to just a few to try, it makes the process much easier.

Hence why I'm asking for other people's recommendations.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mxh said:

Without wishing to sound ungrateful for your input, that doesn't really help much. 

The problem with this is that you need a bit of time to get to know a program / presenter / station. So if you can narrow it down to just a few to try, it makes the process much easier.

Hence why I'm asking for other people's recommendations.

Apologies