Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Recommended Posts


Im just wanting a little bit of advice. Im a British citizen still living in Britain. I currently run my own Plumbing & Gas Heating business and have done for the past 10 years. I have all relevant qualifications to work on natural gas, LPG, plumbing and unvented hot water systems. 

Im just wanting too know what else I would need (apart from apply for a visa) for me to work in Australia. Also, if anyone has any contact or let me know the best place jobs get advertised would be a great help. 

Regards, Lee.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Lee

 First job would be to make sure your occupation is on the list and you can (preferably) qualify for a Skilled visa.

 The rules can vary State to State in relation to your uk certs, but you pretty much have to convert your licences once you are here to Aussie spec, this may mean doing a tafe type course and being restricted in your work duties until this is completed. I believe it does cost a few $$$ so definately look into the costs so you can budget for this. This is on top any skilled recognition you would have to do during the visa application.

 This link should help you understand abit about what required, it s for QLD though - http://www.qbcc.qld.gov.au/contractors/apply-licence/moving-overseas


 Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Before applying for a visa, you need to have a positive skills assessment. 

You then need to calculate your points. The minimum requirement is 65. Many people find they need to claim points for English language. If this is the case, then you need to sit one of the English tests such as ilets. 

Once you have both of these, you can lodge an expression of interest (eoi). The department then send out invites to apply for a visa based on the eoi and how many points people have.mso, having the most points is a good thing. For example, at the moment, nobody with only 65 points is being invited for 189 visas. 

Once you have a visa and make the move, you need to obtain a license for the state you are living in. This varies a bit by state, but, it generally means working as a trade assistant for about a year. A bit like an apprentice and at the same time doing some college courses. (Note, these can be expensive).

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now