The pommie winter

bunbury61

2 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Got to say , we havent had one again .

The weather is becoming a plus in the u.k not a minus 

The change for anyone who hasnt been back for years, is remarkable .

15c today - at the end of winter .

This winter has reminded me a lot of the s.w wa winters in the early 90s.

It has been absolutely beautiful today, even right up here on the bottom edge of the Scottish Highlands.  I sat out in my friends garden having a coffee this morning with no coat on! The sunshine was absolutely blissful.  My mum reckons we're going to get some snow next week, but even if we do we've not had a bad winter by any stretch of the imagination!  Even last winter, when we were hit by 'the Beast from the East' wasn't that bad.

Been wearing my shorts for the last 12 months except for a few days when it was quite cold, amazing summer that lasted from about mid April and was still mild mid November, Nice winter with mostly blue skies and some crisp frosty mornings, its the perfect climate for a saffa like me.

• Haha 1

When we told people we were moving to Scotland, the overwhelming opinion was that it'd be grey and drizzly the whole time, but I can honestly say that we have plenty of beautiful bright blue skies with sunshine days. Sure, we have rain and wind and snow and everything else in between, but on the whole it is fine. We've got the kit for whatever the weather throws at us anyway, so even the odd days of bad weather don't stop us going out.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

First ever winter day of 20c , since records began 

1 hour ago, LKC said:

When we told people we were moving to Scotland, the overwhelming opinion was that it'd be grey and drizzly the whole time, but I can honestly say that we have plenty of beautiful bright blue skies with sunshine days. Sure, we have rain and wind and snow and everything else in between, but on the whole it is fine. We've got the kit for whatever the weather throws at us anyway, so even the odd days of bad weather don't stop us going out.

The jet stream is certainly blessing you up there - some of the warmest days this winter have been in scotland 

17c in the highlands the othe day 

7 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

It was zero degrees this morning. There was a frost. It did get warmer, but it started cold.

5 hours ago, LKC said:

This is great to hear!! I have heard nothing much positive regarding the weather and why we would be mad to leave Australian sun to go back to dreary wet Scotland.  I'd rather being cooler and walking in the drizzle any day over 40 degree heat!

• Like 1

It is the seeming endless days of grey grey skies that kills you.  Loving a bit of sunshine in Sydney this week.  

I think the climate change models expect the UK to get much colder in Winter not warmer as the Gulf stream will probably fade away and the climate will be more like Canada at the same latitude.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TazG said:

This is great to hear!! I have heard nothing much positive regarding the weather and why we would be mad to leave Australian sun to go back to dreary wet Scotland.  I'd rather being cooler and walking in the drizzle any day over 40 degree heat!

So true.  You can always add an extra layer if you're cold - but when it's hot, there's only so much clothing you can decently remove (and the older you get, the less you can take off without frightening the horses...)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

So true.  You can always add an extra layer if you're cold - but when it's hot, there's only so much clothing you can decently remove (and the older you get, the less you can take off without frightening the horses...)

When you live near the beach you just go for a dip. Loved the weather in Perth since we've been here.

I see everyone in the UK  conveniently forgot the beast from the east last winter and it's climate change because of one decent summer and winter. There's a good couple of months to get over yet.

19 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I don't think any of us here or in the UK have too much to grumble about weather wise.  I have a good friend (Scottish) who has lived in Minnesota, USA for decades.  She has had minus 30C this winter and I've just had an email from her to say today is -21 maximum.  During the summer it can get over 40C.  Such extremes.  I think our hottest day this summer in Devonport was 32C for one day in January.  The average has been 24C.  

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

When you live near the beach you just go for a dip. Loved the weather in Perth since we've been here.

I see everyone in the UK  conveniently forgot the beast from the east last winter and it's climate change because of one decent summer and winter. There's a good couple of months to get over yet.

I literally mentioned the Beast from the East in my first post! I haven't forgotten about it, and neither have other people I know. We just treat it for what it is - an unusual, once every eight years or so occurrence. I also mentioned that it could still snow, which it might. It's my birthday on Wednesday, and I can think back to quite a number of birthdays in my 44 years where we have had bad weather. But spring is coming, then summer, then autumn, and then winter again, and with those seasons comes all sorts of weather, good and bad. THAT is what I like about the weather here! The good days are SO much better because they are contrasted with the bad.

4 minutes ago, LKC said:

I literally mentioned the Beast from the East in my first post! I haven't forgotten about it, and neither have other people I know. We just treat it for what it is - an unusual, once every eight years or so occurrence. I also mentioned that it could still snow, which it might. It's my birthday on Wednesday, and I can think back to quite a number of birthdays in my 44 years where we have had bad weather. But spring is coming, then summer, then autumn, and then winter again, and with those seasons comes all sorts of weather, good and bad. THAT is what I like about the weather here! The good days are SO much better because they are contrasted with the bad.

Round about Easter time in the UK has always been very changable weather wise.  I think I've said on this forum I have photos my friends and I sunbathing on Good Friday and by Easter Monday it was snowing.

Happy birthday to you (on Wednesday) LKC.  😀

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Toots said:

Round about Easter time in the UK has always been very changable weather wise.  I think I've said on this forum I have photos my friends and I sunbathing on Good Friday and by Easter Monday it was snowing.

Thank you 😁

12 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Been wearing my shorts for the last 12 months except for a few days when it was quite cold, amazing summer that lasted from about mid April and was still mild mid November, Nice winter with mostly blue skies and some crisp frosty mornings, its the perfect climate for a saffa like me.

It's funny I was with a client yesterday - and perfect climate over the last 12-months, was mentioned

3 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

It's funny I was with a client yesterday - and perfect climate over the last 12-months, was mentioned

What is pefect?  Rellies in Scotland said it was bloody cold and wet.  Guess it depends where you live.  Same as here.  One of my friends even whinged about the heat you had last summer.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Toots said:

Toots , this is a different ball game , honestly.

On the whole , very little wind , blue skies .and worryingly, very little rain .

This isnt changeable ....It's a change .

I think they said the temps have been 6-7c above average .

And the first ever recorded winters day of 20c.

Iam sure we will get hit with something,probably flooding , but on the whole ,its changing .

Thats 7 winters in the w.mids now , without the weather being below zero duribg the day .

It got close last winter during the day , down to 1c a few times , 

1 minute ago, Toots said:

What is pefect?  Rellies in Scotland said it was bloody cold and wet.  Guess it depends where you live.  Same as here.  One of my friends even whinged about the heat you had last summer.  

Well perfect for me , is not too hot , and no freezing your balls off , between november and april ,and that is whats happening .

We had about half hour of a few snow flakes , and tbats been it 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Toots , this is a different ball game , honestly.

On the whole , very little wind , blue skies .and worryingly, very little rain .

This isnt changeable ....It's a change .

I think they said the temps have been 6-7c above average .

And the first ever recorded winters day of 20c.

Iam sure we will get hit with something,probably flooding , but on the whole ,its changing .

Thats 7 winters in the w.mids now , without the weather being below zero duribg the day .

It got close last winter during the day , down to 1c a few times , 

I agree and it is quite scary especially the droughts here.  Can't do much without water.  Here in Tassie we don't get much rain in the summer but it certainly makes up for it during the winter.  Most of the energy here is hydro so we rely a lot on the rain.  Some energy also supplied by wind farms.  

3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

The beast from the east , which probably lasted a fortnight at most , used to be the norm from november to april .

The change is very noticeable here .

We are starting to get the upside of the curve , as the jet stream slows down 

The weather is becoming a definite plus ,on the whole 

3 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Well perfect for me , is not too hot , and no freezing your balls off , between november and april ,and that is whats happening .

We had about half hour of a few snow flakes , and tbats been it 

Sounds pretty near perfect for me too.  🙂