Prospecting for gold around Kalgoorlie

Pit

I’m novice in prospecting for gold and I’m 50 yo man living in Gold Coast. I’m thinking to buy a gold detector and fly out to Kalgoorlie get my permits and prospect, if I get lucky as the guys in “Aussie Gold Hunters” I’ll be 😆

I only want to prospect crown land so I don’t get in trouble, I don’t have the experience to find which land is which and who do I need to contact for further approvals. I’ll rent a smal simple vN with a bed in it and sleep on the site. 

Please guys if any of you out there have done what I’m about to start doing teach me what to do, I’m a good student and listener, also I’m open for partnership with someone who wants to share my dream.

i need help with buying or renting the gold detector, I think even if I put it on my credit card would be better then to rent for $300 daily, so my friends I’m thinking of doing this sometime in early April as now I head there is still plenty water around from recent floods, once more thing addressing the experts out there, am I dreaming or it is actually duable what I want to do? Is the show Aussie gold hunters pretty honest with the nugget size they find? Or is it more on the edited side? 

Mill take in any feedback, I thank you all in advance and hoping for the best

kind regards

Stefan 

Hi and welcome to the forum

I am a professional exploration geologist who finds mineral deposits, particularly gold on behalf of mining companies.

I have a fair bit of experience around Kal and know a lot of guys that prospect. The reality is, you are unlikely to find your fortune. In fact, based on your current strategy unlikely to cover much of your costs. The best prospectors I know, make a fairly small amount of cash per year. But most work in mining and do it in spare time so, they are already being paid to be in the area, so if they make $10k in a year, it is pure profit. Given you will be spending, you will probably be looking at a loss. Though, you never know, but don't get your hopes up. Kal has been well explored both by pro explorers looking for the next mine and thousands of people like yourself. But it can be good fun. 

You will need to check with dept of minerals for WA for your areas. Though there can be a bit of an oddity with this as most large mines have not got an issue with prospectors on their leases and the exploration guys from them will happily share a beer with you, even though you might not technically have right to be there. But, do be aware, if you encroach too much, you will be asked to leave. Particularly if you interfere with drilling in any way. 

The one tip I would give, is have a go around Sunrise Dam mine, salt lake, particularly around old tree roots. Technically illegal, but if the same guys are managing as a couple of years ago, they are pretty ok about it.