You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Hi all,

very interesting reading all the problems and I hope everyone gets to their intended resolutions.

I applied for a partner visa 309 in August 2018, in December 2018 more information was required, then in February 2019 we received the approval - by surprise!!

On the visa grant it states

for first entry, arrive by: 20/09/19

length of stay: Until notified that subclass 100 has been decided or the application is withdrawn

Does anyone know how long this could be for that I am unable to return to the UK? Or anywhere!

thanks

matt

Length of stay is how long you can legally remain in Australia. So it's not like you can't leave for holidays etc.

Is that what you mean? 

• Thanks 1

309/100 visa application lodged 28/08/13 | Visa sub-class 309 granted 09/05/14 | Arrived NSW 27/05/15 | 100 (PR) visa application lodged 27/09/15 | PR granted 13/04/16 | Citizenship application lodged 18/06/19

47 minutes ago, vickyplum said:

Length of stay is how long you can legally remain in Australia. So it's not like you can't leave for holidays etc.

Is that what you mean? 

I run a business in the UK and it’s not ready for me to run off yet, therefore, ideally I need more time in the UK after September. 

So I can enter AUS before September, but then return to the UK. The subclass 100 application and approval. I do not need to be in AUS for, but I do not want to push any boundaries!

I see what you mean. Yes you need to enter Australia by the 'enter by' date, to validate your visa, but you don't have to make the full move at that time.  I validated my visa by visiting for a holiday in August 2014,  but didn't move until May 2015. 

The subclass 100 visa is similar to applying for the 309 (but slightly less rigmarole if I remember correctly!), so until you start that process, you'll remain on the 309. 

• Thanks 1

309/100 visa application lodged 28/08/13 | Visa sub-class 309 granted 09/05/14 | Arrived NSW 27/05/15 | 100 (PR) visa application lodged 27/09/15 | PR granted 13/04/16 | Citizenship application lodged 18/06/19

4 hours ago, vickyplum said:

I see what you mean. Yes you need to enter Australia by the 'enter by' date, to validate your visa, but you don't have to make the full move at that time.  I validated my visa by visiting for a holiday in August 2014,  but didn't move until May 2015. 

The subclass 100 visa is similar to applying for the 309 (but slightly less rigmarole if I remember correctly!), so until you start that process, you'll remain on the 309. 

Thank you, that’s interesting to know.

How long did you go there on holiday and did you need to do anything whilst you were there?

🙂

thanks!

I was on holiday for three weeks. Didn't do anything special, but did look around a few suburbs that I thought we may be interested in.

Everything else (TFN, getting driver's licence, medicare etc) I did in the first few days of moving here to live. I did open a bank account from the UK before.

I was expecting a big fanfare when I arrived with my shiny new visa, but no 🤣

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vickyplum said:

I was on holiday for three weeks. Didn't do anything special, but did look around a few suburbs that I thought we may be interested in.

Everything else (TFN, getting driver's licence, medicare etc) I did in the first few days of moving here to live. I did open a bank account from the UK before.

I was expecting a big fanfare when I arrived with my shiny new visa, but no 🤣

Thanks Vicky! 

Do you happen to know if my fiancé and I have to be married within a certain time frame to obtain the subclass 100? 

Do we need to be living in Australian in order to obtain the subclass 100? 

We’re thinking of visiting Aus for a holiday to activate the subclass 309 visa in the next couple of months but then come back to the UK for 2 years, before moving to Aus. 

Do you think this is achievable? 

Many thanks! 😁

1 minute ago, Matt JH said:

Thanks Vicky! 

Do you happen to know if my fiancé and I have to be married within a certain time frame to obtain the subclass 100? 

Do we need to be living in Australian in order to obtain the subclass 100? 

We’re thinking of visiting Aus for a holiday to activate the subclass 309 visa in the next couple of months but then come back to the UK for 2 years, before moving to Aus. 

Do you think this is achievable? 

Many thanks! 😁

- you don’t need to be married 

- the 100 can be granted if you are offshore, you do need to demonstrate that you “intend to live permanently in Australia “

• Thanks 1

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation.