Natasha 19

Morning,

I am currently an ODP in the forces but after 13 years its time to leave, so i have signed off and have the next year to prepare for transition.  From my research i can see that the equivalent is an anaesthetic technician. I am new to this whole process and really don't know where to start? My other half is a floor layer also looking for employment. Has anyone got advice on the routes we should go down? what are the must's? where best to look for employment? visa's ect .........All advice is greatly welcomed. 

thank you

Natasha 

You need to get your visa before you start worrying about employment.  These days, few employers are willing to hire you from overseas.  The great majority of migrants wait until they've arrived in Australia before they start looking for work.

It's a complicated process and it would be worth having a consultation with a migration agent to get your head around it.  Basically, one of you must have skills that are on the list of occupations, then you need to check whether you can get enough points to be eligible to apply.

It is possible to get an employer-sponsored visa, BUT it's just a temporary contract for 2 to 4 years, and then you go home at the end (for some professions, there is a chance that you can stay on and get a permanent visa at the end, but it's far from guaranteed).  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Thank you for your reply, all help is much appreciated. Both our jobs are on the skills list and i think i am eligible for a 190 independent visa or a sponsored visa. The new process does look a lot more challenging though, so any advice i can get it appreciated. I have bought tickets to attend a down under seminar in march, were there will be stands and speakers so im hoping to get more information then.

Are there any areas in particular you would recommend living with regards to cost of living versus quality of life?  My other half worked in Sydney for 9 months, which he really enjoyed but it was quite expensive?

Apart from visa's is there anything else, you recommend  we look into and were we should start looking?

Thanks again.

4 hours ago, Natasha 19 said:

Thank you for your reply, all help is much appreciated. Both our jobs are on the skills list and i think i am eligible for a 190 independent visa or a sponsored visa. 

Are there any areas in particular you would recommend living with regards to cost of living versus quality of life?  My other half worked in Sydney for 9 months, which he really enjoyed but it was quite expensive?

Yes, Sydney is horrendously expensive for housing.  If you're already living in London, you would probably find the prices acceptable - anyone else would struggle.  Melbourne is a close second.  Everywhere else in Australia is substantially cheaper.

It's very hard to recommend an area without knowing why you want to come to Australia.  What are you looking for?    You can't assume you'll like living in, say, Adelaide because you liked Sydney.   That's like someone saying they enjoyed living in London so they're bound to love Aberdeen.     

Edited by Marisawright

5 hours ago, Natasha 19 said:

Thank you for your reply, all help is much appreciated. Both our jobs are on the skills list and i think i am eligible for a 190 independent visa or a sponsored visa. The new process does look a lot more challenging though, so any advice i can get it appreciated. I have bought tickets to attend a down under seminar in march, were there will be stands and speakers so im hoping to get more information then.

Apart from visa's is there anything else, you recommend  we look into and were we should start looking?

Thanks again.

Not quite expensive - very expensive.  I wish those seminars would tell would be migrants just how expensive Sydney (and indeed other parts of Australia) is.  Of course they probably like to keep it secret.  If folk have a good job and a decent standard of living in the UK I would tell them to think VERY carefully before making the move to Australia.  I came well over 30 years ago when the living was very easy - jobs galore but it's not like that now.

I would recommend speaking to a good registered migration agent. That would be far better than the down under seminars which are basically just sales gimmicks to sell you a range of services. 

If your occupation is only eligible for a 190 visa, you need to look to see if any states are sponsoring it and what conditions they may impose. You also need to look at the skills assessment requirements as this can be an issue for people that have qualified in the military as often their qualifications do not meet the skills assessment requirements. 

• Like 1

Thank you for all your replies, really helps. We would both like to come to Australia in order to gain a better quality of life. We love being out doors, wether it be walking, biking, doing water sports, competing in crossfit events or just relaxing in the sun, this because very difficult in the UK with the awful weather. We have travelled many of countries with the forces and on holidays and Australia has always been our favourite. It is very much like the UK in some ways (apart from the weather obviously) which make for a smoother transition. the landscape is amazing and there is so much too see and do. Its very close to asia for future travel and new Zealand for winter sports. I like that it has strict rules and regulations on emigration that way it makes sure that we work hard to get there and appreciate what we have. As we get older this is definitely a place i would consider brining up a family. These are just some of the reasons we would like to come....... so as for location i think we are spoiled for choice, it all comes down to the cost of living versus quality of life and employment really. 

I know at these seminars try to sell you everything (I work in medicine, medical reps are the worst 🤣) i have learnt to see through it. but i wont to gather as much information as possible and there will be healthcare representatives there. Could you recommend how i could go about seeing a registered migrant agent or point me in the right direction please? My occupation is eligible for a 190 and a sponsored visa. For the 190 it says i have to express my interest and they will look over my credentials and see whether or not im a suitable candidate. My qualification meet the assessment criteria as they are from Birmingham university, its a highly recognised qualification in Australia, Canada and new Zealand. i Checked with the governing bodies. 

I think no matter where you live there will always be expensive areas to live, its whether the wages match the cost of living. I have my own house in the UK which i will rent out whilst we are away. If it all works out ill sell it if not we always have a place to come back too, so i think we have nothing to lose by trying. Can i ask where do you all live and what do you like or dislike about the areas in which you live in? so i can compare the positives with the negatives. 

Really for visa application i can see an agent is best so ill speak to them in due course. But as for life in Australia, i want to try and get local knowledge.............. What do you like about the country and where you live, what are the advantages and disadvantages............ cost of living ect?

All your comments are helpful. thank you again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Natasha 19 said:

Thank you for all your replies, really helps. We would both like to come to Australia in order to gain a better quality of life. We love being out doors, wether it be walking, biking, doing water sports, competing in crossfit events or just relaxing in the sun, this because very difficult in the UK with the awful weather. We have travelled many of countries with the forces and on holidays and Australia has always been our favourite. It is very much like the UK in some ways (apart from the weather obviously) which make for a smoother transition. the landscape is amazing and there is so much too see and do. Its very close to asia for future travel and new Zealand for winter sports. I like that it has strict rules and regulations on emigration that way it makes sure that we work hard to get there and appreciate what we have. As we get older this is definitely a place i would consider brining up a family. These are just some of the reasons we would like to come....... so as for location i think we are spoiled for choice, it all comes down to the cost of living versus quality of life and employment really. 

I know at these seminars try to sell you everything (I work in medicine, medical reps are the worst 🤣) i have learnt to see through it. but i wont to gather as much information as possible and there will be healthcare representatives there. Could you recommend how i could go about seeing a registered migrant agent or point me in the right direction please? My occupation is eligible for a 190 and a sponsored visa. For the 190 it says i have to express my interest and they will look over my credentials and see whether or not im a suitable candidate. My qualification meet the assessment criteria as they are from Birmingham university, its a highly recognised qualification in Australia, Canada and new Zealand. i Checked with the governing bodies. 

I think no matter where you live there will always be expensive areas to live, its whether the wages match the cost of living. I have my own house in the UK which i will rent out whilst we are away. If it all works out ill sell it if not we always have a place to come back too, so i think we have nothing to lose by trying. Can i ask where do you all live and what do you like or dislike about the areas in which you live in? so i can compare the positives with the negatives. 

Really for visa application i can see an agent is best so ill speak to them in due course. But as for life in Australia, i want to try and get local knowledge.............. What do you like about the country and where you live, what are the advantages and disadvantages............ cost of living ect?

All your comments are helpful. thank you again.

We lived in Perth then Sydney for 30 years and have now retired to Tasmania.  Australia is my home and I love living here.  Being Scottish I don't like being ripped off 😉 and detest the duopoly of the Coles/Woolworths supermarkets.  There is very little competition so in my opinion their prices are too high.  I much prefer the weather in Tasmania as the part where I live the weather doesn't get too hot in summer and not too cold in winter.  I was finding the heat and humidity in Sydney summers hard to put up with - the winters are very nice though.  I can't really compare Australia with the UK now as I have lived here so long.  The thing most people miss are their family and friends.  Many people miss the British countryside and the history of the place but that doesn't bother me that much.  Also lots of people feel isolated in Australia - they miss the proximity to Europe.  Some people find it difficult to make friends.  Have to say I have never had that problem.  I think you are wise to keep your house in the UK    ........................  just in case.  

All the best 😃

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Natasha 19 said:

Could you recommend how i could go about seeing a registered migrant agent 

I think no matter where you live there will always be expensive areas to live, its whether the wages match the cost of living.

I would use one of the agents who post on these forums, e.g. Westly Russell at Pinoyau.com or Raul Senise at Ozmigration.com   To me, the fact that they're so generous with free advice is a good sign!  The whole process can be done online so it doesn't matter if they're not near you. 

I agree that the cost of housing doesn't matter if your wages keep up, but that's the huge problem in Sydney and Melbourne right now - they haven't!    There has been a lot of media coverage about it recently.   Like I said, it's like London:  a nurse in London gets paid the same as she would in Exeter, but her rent is double.  As the house prices rise, people are being forced to move further and further west - many Sydneysiders now live two hours from the city centre and just as far to the nearest beach!

As a health professional and a tradie, you are lucky.  Most office workers have no choice but to aim for the  capital cities because there's not enough work elsewhere.  Whereas you could go to any town where there's a hospital.   That opens up your search.  In your shoes, I'd be looking at:

1.  The Sunshine Coast in Queensland.  Most of Queensland is far too hot for me, but the Sunshine Coast seems to have some kind of microclimate, with more sea breezes, so it's more comfortable.   Less than two hours drive to Brisbane for when you want to fly somewhere international. 

2.  If you want the amenities of a big city,  Newcastle in NSW.    It's a large city in its own right, with a fabulous beach right on the city centre, and it's only two hours' drive (or train) from Sydney.  It's also less than an hour to the Hunter Valley wineries and the dolphin watching/oyster farms of Port Stephens. 

3.  If you've been in the forces, you may find it easier to make friends in a town where there's a concentration of defence force personnel.  Jervis Bay has a naval base.  The main town is Nowra, (do your research as it has some rough areas), but the whole Jervis Bay area is absolutely gorgeous, with pure white sands and some good hiking trails.   

4.  A left field idea, because it's not most migrants' idea of Australia, but Canberra might suit you.  As the nation's capital, its population is dominated by civil servants and defence personnel, so you'd be amongst like-minded people.  Many Canberrans spend their weekends at Bateman's Bay (a lovely area of unspoilt coastline) or in the Snowy Mountains (great hiking), both of which are about two hours' drive.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Natasha 19 said:

. We love being out doors, wether it be walking, biking, doing water sports, competing in crossfit events or just relaxing in the sun, this because very difficult in the UK with the awful weather. .

But there are  posters on this forum who  say they do less outdoors in Australia than the UK because the heat - and in some parts the humidity -  makes it too uncomfortable.  Climate varies considerably throughout the country so you need to research to assess what you are prepared to live with.

What do you like about the country and where you live, what are the advantages and disadvantages.

As mentioned, the most common reason for returning to the UK is missing family and friends - particularly those who have young families and miss family connections and support for their young children.   That's an important consideration if you are thinking of starting a family.   Missing the English pub and the changing seasons are also often quoted.

As said it is a vast continent with very different climates and systems in Each state/territory. 

We live in the Adelaide Hills and have 4 definite seasons, a very hot dry summer at the moment (although nights are cooler and often chilly in the countrysidej, usually followed by a cooler Autumn with lovely Autumn foliage (this is the case in the area we live anyway) windy and wetter, winter can be cold with the occasional frost.  Spring is lovely but can still be wet and cool, with spring blossom and flowers everywhere.

We have lovely walks although with no right to roam you have to stick to lanes and roads and great cycling. Half an hour to the city and 40 mins to the beach. 

Having said that we tend to travel north in the winter to follow the warmth!  Seriously considering retiring to the Brissie area!

hard to imaging now as it is pushing 40 outside, don’t have the aircon on yet but not really venturing outside much either.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

I would say, as someone that lived in Australia for 8 years and has lived in a number of other countries, it doesn't give a better quality of life or even a more outdoor life. We are now back in the UK in central Scotland and spend far more time outdoors than we ever did in Oz. 

Ditto. Much more time spent outside here in UK than I ever did in Australia. Not just the heat, although that's significant in summer, it's the bitey things for me as well. Last year when I went back - less than an hour after landing in Canberra I got 4 mozzie bites on my legs and I was just doing what I would have been doing here - sitting in the garden enjoying the mid morning sunshine (while waiting for the baggage man to deliver a delayed in transit bag).  I can walk any time of day in UK but even in April in Canberra I needed to have left the house by about 7 or it got too hot. I really don't get the better /outdoor lifestyle I'm afraid.

20 hours ago, Toots said:

We lived in Perth then Sydney for 30 years and have now retired to Tasmania.  Australia is my home and I love living here.  Being Scottish I don't like being ripped off 😉 and detest the duopoly of the Coles/Woolworths supermarkets.  There is very little competition so in my opinion their prices are too high.  I much prefer the weather in Tasmania as the part where I live the weather doesn't get too hot in summer and not too cold in winter.  I was finding the heat and humidity in Sydney summers hard to put up with - the winters are very nice though.  I can't really compare Australia with the UK now as I have lived here so long.  The thing most people miss are their family and friends.  Many people miss the British countryside and the history of the place but that doesn't bother me that much.  Also lots of people feel isolated in Australia - they miss the proximity to Europe.  Some people find it difficult to make friends.  Have to say I have never had that problem.  I think you are wise to keep your house in the UK    ........................  just in case.  

All the best 😃

Thank you very much for your reply, this is is exactly the type of information im after 🙂 Alot of people have said the heat can be too hot in certain places and at certain points of the year so will definitely bear this in mind. I did travel Brisbane and gold coast around December and January time , i did find it hot but not unbearable, i seem to acclimatise well. I can see why alot of people miss the UK, however i have spent almost 14 years in the army, majority away from my family and my sister lives in new Zealand now. When we travel it tends to be Asia, America  and Australia ect countries further afield. Europe has always been our door steps so i have seen what i wanted to, wouldn't really  miss it. Your message is very positive and it made me happy to read, you obviously love living in Australia to have stayed so long. I really feel we like we have nothing to loose and should try, like i said with the house in the UK we always have a back up plan. Really thank you for this message, ill show my other half when he finishes work. 🙂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I would use one of the agents who post on these forums, e.g. Westly Russell at Pinoyau.com or Raul Senise at Ozmigration.com   To me, the fact that they're so generous with free advice is a good sign!  The whole process can be done online so it doesn't matter if they're not near you. - Thank you, i will look out for them and see if i can rattle their brain for answers. 

I agree that the cost of housing doesn't matter if your wages keep up, but that's the huge problem in Sydney and Melbourne right now - they haven't!    There has been a lot of media coverage about it recently.   Like I said, it's like London:  a nurse in London gets paid the same as she would in Exeter, but her rent is double.  As the house prices rise, people are being forced to move further and further west - many Sydneysiders now live two hours from the city centre and just as far to the nearest beach! - I have heard alot of people say this and i think its definitely something to bare in mind. My other half did work and live on the outskirts of Sydney for 9 months and even though it  was expensive he found it okay, im hoping with 2 wages it might be better. But yes we will definitely have to think carefully on this and way up the pros and cons. 

As a health professional and a tradie, you are lucky.  Most office workers have no choice but to aim for the  capital cities because there's not enough work elsewhere.  Whereas you could go to any town where there's a hospital.   That opens up your search.  In your shoes, I'd be looking at:

1.  The Sunshine Coast in Queensland.  Most of Queensland is far too hot for me, but the Sunshine Coast seems to have some kind of microclimate, with more sea breezes, so it's more comfortable.   Less than two hours drive to Brisbane for when you want to fly somewhere international. I travelled the sunshine coast and it was absolutely beautiful 🙂 This is one area we are considering, as medical jobs are highly sought after in this catchment area. 

2.  If you want the amenities of a big city,  Newcastle in NSW.    It's a large city in its own right, with a fabulous beach right on the city centre, and it's only two hours' drive (or train) from Sydney.  It's also less than an hour to the Hunter Valley wineries and the dolphin watching/oyster farms of Port Stephens. This is definitely worth a look then,  havent visited NSW, so any info is massively appreciated thank you

3.  If you've been in the forces, you may find it easier to make friends in a town where there's a concentration of defence force personnel.  Jervis Bay has a naval base.  The main town is Nowra, (do your research as it has some rough areas), but the whole Jervis Bay area is absolutely gorgeous, with pure white sands and some good hiking trails. -   Again never heard of this place, but we might find it easier to integrate in a forces community.

4.  A left field idea, because it's not most migrants' idea of Australia, but Canberra might suit you.  As the nation's capital, its population is dominated by civil servants and defence personnel, so you'd be amongst like-minded people.  Many Canberrans spend their weekends at Bateman's Bay (a lovely area of unspoilt coastline) or in the Snowy Mountains (great hiking), both of which are about two hours' drive.  - I have actually seen ODP jobs advertised here. Not heard much about the place, but from what youve said this could also be a good place to relocate. 

I cant thank you enough for taking the time to write this. It has been a great help. I shall show my partner when he finishes work. Some of the areas i wouldn't of even though about but now when can widen our search and chose a place suited to both our needs. Thank you 

You’re probably already aware of this, but bear in mind that you won’t be able to work in scrub or recovery as an anaesthetic tech. Of course that may not be a great loss depending on your preferences at the moment. There are anaesthetic tech associations for each state as well. May be worth you looking them up if you haven’t already.

8 hours ago, Natasha 19 said:

I have heard alot of people say this and i think its definitely something to bare in mind. My other half did work and live on the outskirts of Sydney for 9 months and even though it  was expensive he found it okay, im hoping with 2 wages it might be better. But yes we will definitely have to think carefully on this and way up the pros and cons. 

Reading between the lines, does this mean your other half is intent on moving to Sydney, because that's what he knows and likes? 

I do hope you can prevail upon him to change his mind. I'm sure you would enjoy yourselves on two wages in Sydney, but that's not the point, is it?  If you're thinking of starting a family, at some point you're going to have to do without one wage (at least for a while).   And you're going to need an extra bedroom, and you're going to have to start thinking about school catchment areas (and suburbs with good schools are always more expensive).   

So when you're pricing the Sydney lifestyle, don't just think about what you could manage now - think about your future needs too.    Most Sydney mothers can't afford to be a stay-at-home mum, even for a few years - whereas in a smaller city, you could.

I've mentioned this a few times on the forums:  I used to work with two men who'd been transferred to Sydney when our Newcastle office closed down.   They refused to move their families to Sydney because they felt Newcastle was a much better place to bring up a young family.   It meant they faced a two-hour commute, each way, but they still wouldn't relocate.  That has always stuck with me. 

Edited by Marisawright

18 hours ago, gaia said:

You’re probably already aware of this, but bear in mind that you won’t be able to work in scrub or recovery as an anaesthetic tech. Of course that may not be a great loss depending on your preferences at the moment. There are anaesthetic tech associations for each state as well. May be worth you looking them up if you haven’t already.

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of this, my preference is scrub and anaesthetics. But if i can only do anaesthetics it isn't a massive loss. I didn't realise each state had their own association though. thank you for pointing this out, i will take a look into that. 

14 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Reading between the lines, does this mean your other half is intent on moving to Sydney, because that's what he knows and likes? 

I do hope you can prevail upon him to change his mind. I'm sure you would enjoy yourselves on two wages in Sydney, but that's not the point, is it?  If you're thinking of starting a family, at some point you're going to have to do without one wage (at least for a while).   And you're going to need an extra bedroom, and you're going to have to start thinking about school catchment areas (and suburbs with good schools are always more expensive).   

So when you're pricing the Sydney lifestyle, don't just think about what you could manage now - think about your future needs too.    Most Sydney mothers can't afford to be a stay-at-home mum, even for a few years - whereas in a smaller city, you could.

I've mentioned this a few times on the forums:  I used to work with two men who'd been transferred to Sydney when our Newcastle office closed down.   They refused to move their families to Sydney because they felt Newcastle was a much better place to bring up a young family.   It meant they faced a two-hour commute, each way, but they still wouldn't relocate.  That has always stuck with me. 

Thank you for your reply. No he isn't set on Sydney, we are open to options depending on job availability versus the pros and cons. My other half worked in Syndey has a little understanding of how it works. To be honest we are drawn more towards Queensland. The are a wider range of jobs available there for both me and him, i have friends that live there, the cost of living seems to be lower(I may be wrong), I have travelled there before and found there is so much to do and see, the weather was just right and i like to dive so cairns is close. However, if better opportunities arise or we like somewhere else we are willing to scope out our options. Because you are right, if this is going to be a permeant move, we need to have to the future in mind. we want to get it right first time to prevent multiple moves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Natasha 19 said:

Thank you for your reply. No he isn't set on Sydney, we are open to options depending on job availability versus the pros and cons. My other half worked in Syndey has a little understanding of how it works. To be honest we are drawn more towards Queensland. The are a wider range of jobs available there for both me and him, i have friends that live there, the cost of living seems to be lower(I may be wrong),

I wouldn't worry about cost of living.  Based on my experience when I was living in the UK two years ago, the cost of living is much the same in both countries, with only one exception - housing (either renting or buying).  So when comparing costs, focus on the cost of housing compared to what you're used to, and that will give you a good idea of affordability.  Domain.com.au and realestate.com.au are the best sources.

Like I said, I find all of  Queensland too hot for me in the summer, but everyone has a different reaction to the heat.  If you're a diver then Queensland makes a lot of sense.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I wouldn't worry about cost of living.  Based on my experience when I was living in the UK two years ago, the cost of living is much the same in both countries, with only one exception - housing (either renting or buying).  So when comparing costs, focus on the cost of housing compared to what you're used to, and that will give you a good idea of affordability.  Domain.com.au and realestate.com.au are the best sources.

Like I said, I find all of  Queensland too hot for me in the summer, but everyone has a different reaction to the heat.  If you're a diver then Queensland makes a lot of sense.

Can i ask did you find housing more expensive in Australia or the UK? Thanks ill Take a look at these, the plan initially is to rent and ill rent my house out in the UK. if all goes to plan and we stay then ill sell my house on the UK and buy in Oz. Honestly i cant thank you enough, you comments have been so helpful. We are going to sit down this weekend and make a list (i love a good list 😁) of things we need to research. Your comments have helped spark ideas of things we need to look into 👍

28 minutes ago, Natasha 19 said:

Can i ask did you find housing more expensive in Australia or the UK? 

It depends where you're planning to settle.  For instance, housing in Melbourne is about one-third cheaper than Sydney.    Houses in Hobart are half the price of Sydney;. And so on.  So it really comes down to checking out the websites for the area you're interested in.  Queensland, on the whole, is on the lower side.  Just bear in mind, when looking at real estate websites, that real estate agents use professional photographers with fish eye lenses, then they photoshop the images - so they can make old scruffy houses look immaculate!   

If you have friends in Queensland then think seriously about moving to be close to them.   

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

It depends where you're planning to settle.  For instance, housing in Melbourne is about one-third cheaper than Sydney.    Houses in Hobart are half the price of Sydney;. And so on.  So it really comes down to checking out the websites for the area you're interested in.  Queensland, on the whole, is on the lower side.  Just bear in mind, when looking at real estate websites, that real estate agents use professional photographers with fish eye lenses, then they photoshop the images - so they can make old scruffy houses look immaculate!   

If you have friends in Queensland then think seriously about moving to be close to them.   

Just been looking at the housing sources you recommended, they look really good. And on comparison of Sydney and Queensland there was a huge difference. 😲 Can i just ask what are the extra bills you pay on top of rent in Australia? For example, my extra bills include: Gas, Electric, Council Tax, Water, House Insurance, Boiler insurance, Phone and Internet. These prob add up to about £500 Per month and top of my mortgage.  For what i can see everything is paid weekly/fortnight in Oz, im just trying to figure out what the cost of housing and bill may be in different areas. 

6 hours ago, Natasha 19 said:

Just been looking at the housing sources you recommended, they look really good. And on comparison of Sydney and Queensland there was a huge difference. 😲 Can i just ask what are the extra bills you pay on top of rent in Australia? 

Yes, there is a huge difference but it's not really anything you should be surprised about.  You don't think twice about the fact that London or New York housing is far more expensive than the rest of the country, for instance - it's just what happens when a city is the major business centre for a country. 

Someone has done a spreadsheet of expenses, I believe, but to be honest, I wouldn't stress about it.   You can tie yourself in knots trying to budget for every last cost, but there are so many variables, you're unlikely to get it right anyway. When we went to England, I noticed that some things were more expensive and some things were cheaper - but when I looked at what I'd spent over the year, it was about the same as my annual budget in Australia.  It's swings and roundabouts.  You'll still have to pay for gas, electric, council tax (called rates here), insurance, phone and internet etc.    The huge variable is the cost of renting or buying a house.

7 hours ago, Natasha 19 said:

Can i just ask what are the extra bills you pay on top of rent in Australia? For example, my extra bills include: Gas, Electric, Council Tax, Water, House Insurance, Boiler insurance, Phone and Internet. 

If you are renting you won't pay council tax (rates) here:  they are paid by the landlord.  Water varies:  you may pay usage but not fixed charges.... but in some places both are paid by the landlord.   House insurance:  you can take out  contents insurance for your own belongings but the landlord pays for building insurance.  Boiler insurance: I  don't think that exists anywhere in Australia.  Boilers are rare and would be covered by general house insurance.