Travelling outside Australia after submitting Citizenship Application

LouDYorkie

When you fill out your citizenship application it asks for any known upcoming travel plans. I thought I’d also read somewhere that even after submitting, you need to let them know if you will be out of the country. 1. Is this right or am I dreaming it? 2. Is there a form or something to complete?

(I’m not asking in relation to visa expiry or RRV)

It depends how long you intend to be away. Currently processing is so slow it is unlikely you will be contacted for around a year after applying. Although that may change following a scathing review!

If you are going away for a few weeks I wouldn’t bother, they will know you are out of Australia if they check anyway. It might just mean they put your application into the black hole of ‘pending’.

It is important to note that you should be here to be invited for the test and in Australia for approval.  Now this used to be 2-3 weeks max from test to approval so you were advised to remain in Australia, now it has been many months for some,even years!

You should get an e mail about the test but it may not be sent if they detect you are out of the country. 

We didn’t inform them of our holidays whilst waiting for the test and our approval was instant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It depends how long you intend to be away. Currently processing is so slow it is unlikely you will be contacted for around a year after applying. Although that may change following a scathing review!
If you are going away for a few weeks I wouldn’t bother, they will know you are out of Australia if they check anyway. It might just mean they put your application into the black hole of ‘pending’.
It is important to note that you should be here to be invited for the test and in Australia for approval.  Now this used to be 2-3 weeks max from test to approval so you were advised to remain in Australia, now it has been many months for some,even years!
You should get an e mail about the test but it may not be sent if they detect you are out of the country. 
We didn’t inform them of our holidays whilst waiting for the test and our approval was instant.

Thanks Rammygirl, that makes sense. Do you know if there is a form to send or another way of advising them if it will be longer?

• 1 month later...

I have applied for my citizenship application, I have my engineering consultancy in Perth, and I have just finalizing a project in Gulf, but that means I need to travel frequently. How will that affect my application, as I have business, home, family and kids who are Australian Citizens. Can anyone help on this matter?