Electrician 489 Visa

Phil McKibben

Hi all,

I am an Electrician looking to make the move to QLD on 489 visa around June 2019.  Just waiting on visa to come through now, was sent off mid Dec 2018.  I have been looking at settling as close to Brisbane as possible really for work, obviously I am limited being on the 489 visa.  Looking at the sunshine and regional gold coast area, does anyone have a simliar experience?

I realise I will have to take a step back and do the log book etc and work as a trade assistant, that doesn't bother me, main concern being is it easy enough for electricians to find work with a company in these areas?

Thanks.

Office workers need to be close to Brisbane to find work, but as an electrician, you're lucky - there are lots of reasonably-sized towns in Queensland where you'd find work.  That way you could get the classic Aussie lifestyle without the big commute, and cheaper housing.  Are there other reasons you want to be close to Brisbane, like family?

Edited by Marisawright

Thanks for that. Preferably I'd rather live out of the city. The only reason I was thinking about living near it was security of having work but if I can find it locally where I've been looking for example in Caloundra, Sunshine coast then that would be great. I was basing my thinking on the job search results of indeed which obviously has much more results for the city as with any city.