UK GCSE to Australian Education and back again

JaneG

We may have the opportunity to take a 2-3 year secondment to Australia from the UK.

My son will have completed his GCSE's in the UK this coming summer and will hopefully obtained the English Baccalaureate. If we were to stay in the UK, he would plan to complete 2 years at college studying BTec advanced which would be his pathway into uni.

If we do go to west Australia with his GCSE qualifications and being 17 in Jan 2020, what education options would he have in Australia and how would these contribute towards his path into uni on our return? 

Thanks in advance, 

Jane

You could try and find  an IB course somewhere or he could do A levels through distance learning. He's older than his cohort starting year 11 and the Australian yr 12 results generally don't travel back to UK awfully well if he wanted something competitive.  Have you thought about leaving him in UK to follow the program he'd planned and he could visit you in the holidays. That way he would be sure not to get stung with international student fees for Uni when he gets there.

In terms of applying to not pay the international fees in the UK when he returns.

Current rules say you need to have been resident for 3 years prior to uni start for home fees and to get any student loans etc.

A friend of mine did get this waived for her daughter by showing that the move was temporary for work only, she kept her house in the UK, and all the bank accounts etc. Just in case this helps you plan..... 🙂 It was alot of aggro and paperwork for her though, just something to consider.

9 hours ago, JaneG said:

Thank you, yes this is really helpful. We were also wondering if the same rules apply for any further education on return to the UK for example BTec. Could you sign post me to where the rules and stipulations are please? 

Not sure on the BTEC. I looked directly at uni sites for their rules around fees so not sure on where the government rules are, presumably on their website somewhere. Maybe have a look at the website of the place where a course you want is and see what that says. They all have a potential student contact that you can speak to. You could call and pose the hypothetical question and see what they say. That’s what I did. 

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...