register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

How is Megan doing so far?

12 hours ago, ali said:

But the press don't make everything up - they reported the move to Canada and the US long before H&M came out and said it - so sometimes there is an element/grain of truth.

My wife reported that when they 1st met 😀

And I reported it on here 

• Like 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

52 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Although, the older Chinese, some Russians and ( although not mentioned) the Thai people, can be quite the monarchy type,  wherever it exists.

Here's how the king of Thailand stays in power and keeps his corruption out of the papers

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/09/man-jailed-for-35-years-in-thailand-for-insulting-monarchy-on-facebook

2 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I don’t think that many here actually like or feel a great loyalty to the royals but there seems to be no decent alternative. Most of the prime ministers we have had over the past 20 years just wouldn’t cut it and that is why they voted to keep the monarchy - not because they love and respect them. 

But you don't have to have a head of state with the powers that the Americans gave their president, our monarchy actually has no powers in reality but we keep them there.

My objection to them is that they perpetuate a almost feudal class system in the UK with all these honours and Lords and Dukes and Prnces,  the country is like some giant out of date historical theme park, more interested in selling entrance tickets than getting on and producing a society fit for the 21st century that recognises the contribution of everyone.

Queenie, in her speech, didn't include the magic words, " I have instructed my Treasurer to grant all workers carrying out essential work to keep my citizens safe a tax free bonus of £2500" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dusty Plains said:

Although, the older Chinese, some Russians and ( although not mentioned) the Thai people, can be quite the monarchy type,  wherever it exists.

The current king of Thailand is rather a strange person.  The Thais revered the old king and certainly can't be upfront with their opinion of his son as anyone who "defames, insults or threatens the king, the queen, the heir-apparent or the regent" will be punished with a jail term between three and 15 years.  He's been married 4 times and disowned 4 of the children from his 2nd marriage.  He's renowned for gambling, womanising and associating with illegal businesses and he's worth $30 billion.  Amazing that most of the poor Thai population are expected to respect him above all others.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

But you don't have to have a head of state with the powers that the Americans gave their president, our monarchy actually has no powers in reality but we keep them there.

My objection to them is that they perpetuate a almost feudal class system in the UK with all these honours and Lords and Dukes and Prnces,  the country is like some giant out of date historical theme park, more interested in selling entrance tickets than getting on and producing a society fit for the 21st century that recognises the contribution of everyone.

Queenie, in her speech, didn't include the magic words, " I have instructed my Treasurer to grant all workers carrying out essential work to keep my citizens safe a tax free bonus of £2500" 

That may be the case however for me its the House of Lords, and its function as a house of review. As we know the members are not elected by the people. Instead there are Lords, peers, various seat warmers, wall flowers and feather dusters.  What is going on there?  

Paul Keating once stated that the members of the Australian Senate were basically "unrepresentative swill". 😆

At least they are elected by the people.

Posted (edited)

Wow I don’t have any time for Meghan, but didn’t realise how far reaching her influence was.or do the above posts actually have nothing to do with her?

Edited by ramot

I actually have no thoughts one way or the other about Megan.   She is an average actress at the best of times and she scored a prince for a husband.  End of story.    

• Haha 1

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

8 hours ago, ramot said:

Wow I don’t have any time for Meghan, but didn’t realise how far reaching her influence was.or do the above posts actually have nothing to do with her?

True, why dont people just leave her alone and get on with their own lives?

• Like 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Who'd want to name anything Archie? Ridiculous name.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Me. My youngest boy.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Could have been worse.  They could have given him the full version of the name   .....................  Archibald.

Funny but I quite like Archibald, more than Archie.Has a bit of a ring to it. Kind of sounds regal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Doh!

Boy the way Glen Miller played,
Songs that made the hit parade,
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days,
And you know where you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again,
Didn't need no welfare states
Everybody pulled his weight,
Gee our old Lasalle ran great,
Those were the days!

11 hours ago, simmo said:

Me. My youngest boy.

Awkward, that’s made me smile 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Funny but I quite like Archibald, more than Archie.Has a bit of a ring to it. Kind of sounds regal.

We had a psychopathic maths teacher in high school.  Terrible temper and was very handy with the leather strap.  His name was Archibald Somerville.  I've disliked the name ever since.

• Like 2

There are really mischievous 5 year old twin boys in our street.  Their names are Archie and Alfie.

Wish I could get the dummy from Educating Archie out of my head.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Toots said:

There are really mischievous 5 year old twin boys in our street.  Their names are Archie and Alfie.

What hope for them with those names! 😀

14 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

Boy the way Glen Miller played,
Songs that made the hit parade,
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days,
And you know where you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again,
Didn't need no welfare states
Everybody pulled his weight,
Gee our old Lasalle ran great,
Those were the days!

Hoover was not the man you imagine

Expert Answers info

LARRYGATES  | CERTIFIED EDUCATOR

In fact, Herbert Hoover did believe that the government should act to improve the economy. The old story of his belief in "rugged individualism" has been widely misinterpreted. Hoover was opposed to direct aid from government to individuals, but never took a hands off, laissez faire attitude. Among the efforts to solve the depression implemented by Hoover were:

The Reconstruction Finance Corporation which funded loans to banks, railroads and insurance companies to prevent these companies from going bankrupt, which would, in Hoover's view, deepen the depression.The Federal Home Loan Bank Act created Savings and Loan institutions to provide loans for home ownership.$750 million in gold was released from the treasury to put more money into circulation in an attempt to stimulate the economy.The Emergency Relief and Construction Act authorized over one billion dollars in public works projects.

So, Hoover's approach was anything but "hands off." He did believe that the American people needed to show some initiative to end the Depression, and not wait on the government to solve it for them; at the same time, he did not expect the government to sit back and let people solve it for themselves. The only government involvement he opposed was direct Federal government involvement with individuals. Rather he believed the proper way to stimulate the economy was to stimulate business and public works through the states.

https://www.enotes.com/homework-help/describe-herbert-hoover-bonus-army-during-316042

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Hoover was not the man you imagine

Expert Answers info

LARRYGATES  | CERTIFIED EDUCATOR

In fact, Herbert Hoover did believe that the government should act to improve the economy. The old story of his belief in "rugged individualism" has been widely misinterpreted. Hoover was opposed to direct aid from government to individuals, but never took a hands off, laissez faire attitude. Among the efforts to solve the depression implemented by Hoover were:

The Reconstruction Finance Corporation which funded loans to banks, railroads and insurance companies to prevent these companies from going bankrupt, which would, in Hoover's view, deepen the depression.The Federal Home Loan Bank Act created Savings and Loan institutions to provide loans for home ownership.$750 million in gold was released from the treasury to put more money into circulation in an attempt to stimulate the economy.The Emergency Relief and Construction Act authorized over one billion dollars in public works projects.

So, Hoover's approach was anything but "hands off." He did believe that the American people needed to show some initiative to end the Depression, and not wait on the government to solve it for them; at the same time, he did not expect the government to sit back and let people solve it for themselves. The only government involvement he opposed was direct Federal government involvement with individuals. Rather he believed the proper way to stimulate the economy was to stimulate business and public works through the states.

https://www.enotes.com/homework-help/describe-herbert-hoover-bonus-army-during-316042

Zoooooooomm, right overtop your head that joke went as it's the opening lyrics to a 70s sitcom.

Edited by Canada2Australia

Those were the days when men were men and the sheep were nervous?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They have purchased the house owned by Mel Gibson for $23m.  Nice little pad....