register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

How is Megan doing so far?

16 minutes ago, Quoll said:

I actually see him ending it all - or trying to. He's been utterly emasculated and she now has claws firmly affixed so will either suffocate him to death or set him free to a state of utter emotional bereftness (and minus half of what he now owns) as she moves on to someone with more clout and more money.

Yes I agree with that but I think Harry will put up with a lot in the years to come just to attempt to keep things on an even keel for his little son.

Makes my day to read the latest self centred post about or from?  the wannabe A list actress, and well known humanitarian. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramot said:

Makes my day to read the latest self centred post about or from?  the wannabe A list actress, and well known humanitarian. 

I'm starting to get bored with the whole Harry & Meghan saga.  It's up to him to deal with how his new life in LA pans out.  

I read somewhere that William and Kate's marriage went through a sticky patch when it was rumoured he was having an affair with Rose Hanbury, one of those aristocratic types married to a much older man.  Is it true or malicious gossip?  What next I wonder.  The tabloids must love it all  ............. the royal family soap opera.

1 minute ago, Toots said:

I'm starting to get bored with the whole Harry & Meghan saga.  It's up to him to deal with how his new life in LA pans out.  

I read somewhere that William and Kate's marriage went through a sticky patch when it was rumoured he was having an affair with Rose Hanbury, one of those aristocratic types married to a much older man.  Is it true or malicious gossip?  What next I wonder.  The tabloids must love it all  ............. the royal family soap opera.

I’m actually horrified at the amount of press these 2 get. Whoever instigates it please give them the privacy they apparently crave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramot said:

I’m actually horrified at the amount of press these 2 get. Whoever instigates it please give them the privacy they apparently crave.

If only.

What the media doesn't know it makes up or states that "someone close to the royal family" divulges all this so called information.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Toots said:

If only.

What the media doesn't know it makes up or states that "someone close to the royal family" divulges all this so called information.

It's quite laughable really isn't it? I am absolutely certain no one from that family tells them anything at all unless they need to .Most of them are actually quite boring so I guess that is why the press make so much stuff up.

I’ve been watching “ The Windsor’s” on Netflix. Good for a laugh, surprised it got through the censors in the uk. Love the depiction of Princess Anne as a German with buck teeth.

• Like 3

Why is the UK and Australia obsessed with the House of Saxe Coburg, yep, that is who they are, if they had stayed true to their heritage I'm sure there would be far less sympathy for them than there is.

This is a branch of European aristocracy which happens to be fabulously rich, owners of enormous estates across the country and is a gift for newspapers to boost their circulation with fabrications produced by people who never have to leave their kitchen table.  

Why is the UK and Australia obsessed with the House of Saxe Coburg, yep, that is who they are, if they had stayed true to their heritage I'm sure there would be far less sympathy for them than there is.
This is a branch of European aristocracy which happens to be fabulously rich, owners of enormous estates across the country and is a gift for newspapers to boost their circulation with fabrications produced by people who never have to leave their kitchen table.  

we just are, as Monarchists. Quite frankly prefer having a monarch as the Head of State (even if it is nominal), rather than the likes of Boris....(or the opposition). The day the UK and Aus turn into carbon copies of the USA as republics, will be a very sad day indeed.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ssiri said:

we just are, as Monarchists. Quite frankly prefer having a monarch as the Head of State (even if it is nominal), rather than the likes of Boris....(or the opposition). The day the UK and Aus turn into carbon copies of the USA as republics, will be a very sad day indeed.

We don't have to copy the US, altho lots prefer to, there are lots of other states which manage it and end up no worse than the UK, Israel for instance, and many don't have a whole tribe of hangers on. I mean, come on, who has a second house made up of a bunch who are so invested in maintaining the status quo, that is why they are there.

Cromwell's mistake was that he stopped at one head, he was too good a man.

11 hours ago, ssiri said:

Not for most intelligent people it won’t...

We don't have to copy the US, altho lots prefer to, there are lots of other states which manage it and end up no worse than the UK, Israel for instance, and many don't have a whole tribe of hangers on. I mean, come on, who has a second house made up of a bunch who are so invested in maintaining the status quo, that is why they are there.
Cromwell's mistake was that he stopped at one head, he was too good a man.

All in your opinion, which is your right to have and keep. As is mine.

On 03/04/2020 at 23:29, Quoll said:

I actually see him ending it all - or trying to. He's been utterly emasculated and she now has claws firmly affixed so will either suffocate him to death or set him free to a state of utter emotional bereftness (and minus half of what he now owns) as she moves on to someone with more clout and more 

Agreed quoll 

• Like 2

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

On 04/04/2020 at 11:10, Toots said:

If only.

But the press don't make everything up - they reported the move to Canada and the US long before H&M came out and said it - so sometimes there is an element/grain of truth.

• Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

On 05/04/2020 at 18:17, ssiri said:

From memory, it was that particular model that was being posed during the Australian Republic Referendum in 1999. It was very much based upon the US system and was summarily rejected by the electorate..  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

From memory, it was that particular model that was being posed during the Australian Republic Referendum in 1999. It was very much based upon the US system and was summarily rejected by the electorate..  

Having seen what Trump is doing in the US, I'm very glad that didn't happen.  I find it frightening how much power the US President has.  The system seems to rely on the President feeling a moral obligation to consult Congress before he makes any big decisions, but he has the power to ignore them and  make Executive Orders for almost anything he wants to do.

• Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

1 hour ago, ali said:

But the press don't make everything up - they reported the move to Canada and the US long before H&M came out and said it - so sometimes there is an element/grain of truth.

Not everything of course but the front cover headlines of those rags New Idea and Woman's Day are usually total fairytales.  I don't know how they get away with it.

• Like 4

Not for most intelligent people it won’t...

That’s funny. I wouldn’t call goings on across the pond in the US where any fool can become president ‘intelligent’. Similarly in other republic states, where nepotism and corruption/kick backs remain the order of the day.

Thanks, but i’ll keep our ‘stupid’ system.
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, ssiri said:

That’s funny. I wouldn’t call goings on across the pond in the US where any fool can become president ‘intelligent’. Similarly in other republic states, where nepotism and corruption/kick backs remain the order of the day.

Thanks, but i’ll keep our ‘stupid’ system.

It certainly is stupid 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Toots said:

Not everything of course but the front cover headlines of those rags New Idea and Woman's Day are usually total fairytales.  I don't know how they get away with it.

I recall some time ago there was this particular talking head on Aust. TV who was referred to as the resident Royal watcher on the news. I cannot think of his name but he was always introduced as being well connected with the Palace or often described as a friend of the Royal Family. He would report on all the Royal "scoops".

This particular person was a constant contributor to TV news for years, that is until someone in Kerry Packers Office at Channel 9 called up the media people at Buckingham Palace, only to be told that they did not know any such person. Oops!

This guy was a complete fake and a conman and carried on the masquerade for years. It just goes to show that when it comes to the media they will believe anyone who has a "scoop"

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Thankfully

• Like 1

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

I don’t think that many here actually like or feel a great loyalty to the royals but there seems to be no decent alternative. Most of the prime ministers we have had over the past 20 years just wouldn’t cut it and that is why they voted to keep the monarchy - not because they love and respect them. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

I don’t think that many here actually like or feel a great loyalty to the royals but there seems to be no decent alternative. Most of the prime ministers we have had over the past 20 years just wouldn’t cut it and that is why they voted to keep the monarchy - not because they love and respect them. 

Perhaps migrants here with a British background would feel some loyalty but why on earth would migrants from China, Italy, Greece, Russia, Germany and so on feel any loyalty whatsoever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

I saw the Queen's message to all of us in relation the current COVID disaster ( yes it is a disaster) . Now here is a woman in her 90's who has just been through a signficant family upheaval, but at the same time she is bound to duty, and she has no escape plan offered to her at all. She cannot just take off to the nearest palm tree on an island that serves chilled Gin and Tonic and to get away from the daily hum drum of being a Monarch..

Well I was impressed. I am not a royalist, or for that matter, any other matter or thing that has the nominal suffix "--IST" attached to it. Her sure and steadfast monologue and the optimism that it carried, was very well received.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Perhaps migrants here with a British background would feel some loyalty but why on earth would migrants from China, Italy, Greece, Russia, Germany and so on feel any loyalty whatsoever.

Although, the older Chinese, some Russians and ( although not mentioned) the Thai people, can be quite the monarchy type,  wherever it exists.