register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

How is Megan doing so far?

48 minutes ago, ssiri said:

Undoubtedly, with ‘Whats in it for me, Markke at the helm of the good ship Harry.

He is going to change from the second most popular Royal to someone like the former King Edward, in terms of his rapport with the people he (supposedly), serves . If its what he stands for and wants, thats fine. On his merry way.

I don’t think he will somehow, and when he gets cast aside by ‘Whats in it for me, Markle’ it will end in tears.

Sadly I think you might be right, will be interesting to see if they both turn up for the Commonwealth Day, or excuses made by one or both. Also will be interesting to see public reaction to them if they are there.

I have to admit I was one of the concerned about the relationship. was she really In love with  Harry or the illusion of what life with Harry would be? The excitement of being whisked away to exotic secret locations, the excitement of being with a Royal, and being treated like royalty.

Then the reality of life in the Royal family, shaking so many people’s hands on a cold wet and windy day in some place she had never heard of. Must have been tough, balanced against a privileged life, including  coping with having to wear all those designer clothes she has been given.

If you can believe anything written in the press, then if the reports of how early the planning started to to capitalise on their status started, that is  very concerning, and calculated.

I do think they have been very disrespectful to the Queen, they might have wanted to break away and live ‘private’  lives, have to laugh at that one, but they don’t appear to have cared how they went about it.

Who knows how it will all end,

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ramot said:

Sadly I think you might be right, will be interesting to see if they both turn up for the Commonwealth Day, or excuses made by one or both. Also will be interesting to see public reaction to them if they are there.

I have to admit I was one of the concerned about the relationship. was she really In love with  Harry or the illusion of what life with Harry would be? The excitement of being whisked away to exotic secret locations, the excitement of being with a Royal, and being treated like royalty.

Then the reality of life in the Royal family, shaking so many people’s hands on a cold wet and windy day in some place she had never heard of. Must have been tough, balanced against a privileged life, including  coping with having to wear all those designer clothes she has been given.

If you can believe anything written in the press, then if the reports of how early the planning started to to capitalise on their status started, that is  very concerning, and calculated.

I do think they have been very disrespectful to the Queen, they might have wanted to break away and live ‘private’  lives, have to laugh at that one, but they don’t appear to have cared how they went about it.

Who knows how it will all end,

I seem to recall (but equally could have dreamt it lol), that Harry had said he wanted someone who would be used to the limelight/attention as that's why his previous relationship had broken down.  

I do think the whole thing has been handled poorly and can't believe that someone would have advised them to do it this way and alienate themselves

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Canada has announced it will not pay for  Harry and Meghan's Vancouver security once they step back from their roles as full time royals at the end of March  .................  so who's going to foot the security bill

54 minutes ago, Toots said:

Canada has announced it will not pay for  Harry and Meghan's Vancouver security once they step back from their roles as full time royals at the end of March  .................  so who's going to foot the security bill

It will be the UK. Nothing we can do about it because he is entitled to 24 hour protection. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

It will be the UK. Nothing we can do about it because he is entitled to 24 hour protection. 

Why cant they pay it out of their own Milllions? They dont want to be Royal so their entitlement should stop.  Imagine the cost if they decide to start flying here there and everywhere,!  Doubt anyone would want to kidnap her - would probably give her back after listening to her whinging for a few hours!

Edited by AJ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AJ said:

Why cant they pay it out of their own Milllions?  Imagine the cost if they decide to start flying here there and everywhere,!

I’m sure they could pay it but unlikely they will. It’s something that as sixth in line to the throne Harry has a right to. It costs millions every year but it’s just the way it is. I’m not a royal lover but accept it has to be that way. His grandmother is the queen and his dad will be king. He’s high profile and has to be protected regardless to where he chooses to live. 

• Like 1

He should protect himself and not rely on taxpayer's money. If people are willing to pay though- well more fool them.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

He should protect himself and not rely on taxpayer's money. If people are willing to pay though- well more fool them.

Well not really, people aren’t fools, they don’t have the choice.  I’d imagine most people would say they can pay for it themselves but it is in the constitution so we have no choice. He is entitled to it and little anyone can do about it. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Those protection officers must earn a massive wage if the yearly bill for H&M's security costs all those millions.

Just now, Toots said:

Those protection officers must earn a massive wage if the yearly bill for H&M's security costs all those millions.

Just think Of the travel cost though. Ginger and Whinger will be flying first class everywhere so there will be another 6 first class flights for security to be paid for as well! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Just think Of the travel cost though. Ginger and Whinger will be flying first class everywhere so there will be another 6 first class flights for security to be paid for as well! 

Ginger and Whinger.  😂  I can't get that description out of my head now.

Your average Hollywood celebrity would pay for their own security I expect.

Tax Deductible. I think Harry and Meghan can afford it.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

9 minutes ago, Parley said:

Your average Hollywood celebrity would pay for their own security I expect.

Tax Deductible. I think Harry and Meghan can afford it.

They can Parley but they can get it for free, that’s the point. I think it would be a nice gesture of theirs to offer to pay for it but they don’t have to. Celebrities have to pay so that’s different. It’s like suggesting Trump can afford to pay for his security, he can afford it but it comes with the title.

2 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

They can Parley but they can get it for free, that’s the point. I think it would be a nice gesture of theirs to offer to pay for it but they don’t have to. Celebrities have to pay so that’s different. It’s like suggesting Trump can afford to pay for his security, he can afford it but it comes with the title.

Not really because Trump is still doing his job as President, whereas Harry has resigned from his job as a Royal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Not really because Trump is still doing his job as President, whereas Harry has resigned from his job as a Royal.

Yes but Harry is still a royal. Don’t get me wrong, as a tax payer I’m not best pleased he’s costing millions in protection but he is still entitled to it. Whilst Trump is still doing his job, he’ll get it when he’s not. People such as Tony Blair, Gordon Brown etc still get paid protection as ex prime ministers. I’d be surprised if yours didn’t over there.  So in the job or not, they’re high risk and as such are entitled. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Yes but Harry is still a royal. Don’t get me wrong, as a tax payer I’m not best pleased he’s costing millions in protection but he is still entitled to it. Whilst Trump is still doing his job, he’ll get it when he’s not. People such as Tony Blair, Gordon Brown etc still get paid protection as ex prime ministers. I’d be surprised if yours didn’t over there.  So in the job or not, they’re high risk and as such are entitled. 

They pay for their own security outside of the UK.

2 hours ago, simmo said:

I don’t think they do simmo. They get international round the clock protection. I recently saw that the bill was even more than usual as the armed officers from the met were having to fly out there for two weeks then swop over and come back as their families live here of course. So the usual big cost was even more as there was flights to pay for as well as expenses like accommodation when not on their shift and 2 days wasted every fortnight on flights. It’s frustrating, I’m up there with everyone else but people tend to take what they can, human nature regardless of wealth.  If they’ve chosen to now pay for it then good for them, it’s probably the right thing to do but it will be choice not forced. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simmo said:

I doubt that is true.  Where did you get that info from.  If it is true why all the fuss from the Canadian citizens who were a tad peeved that they may have had to foot the bill.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I don’t think they do simmo. They get international round the clock protection. I recently saw that the bill was even more than usual as the armed officers from the met were having to fly out there for two weeks then swop over and come back as their families live here of course. So the usual big cost was even more as there was flights to pay for as well as expenses like accommodation when not on their shift and 2 days wasted every fortnight on flights. It’s frustrating, I’m up there with everyone else but people tend to take what they can, human nature regardless of wealth.  If they’ve chosen to now pay for it then good for them, it’s probably the right thing to do but it will be choice not forced. 

https://www.tatler.com/article/how-tony-blair-could-provide-the-blueprint-for-harry-and-meghans-security-issue

2 hours ago, simmo said:

The article says Tony Blair chooses to pay some of his security which is good. It could be 5% for all we know but still better than nothing. Hopefully Harry will do the same, it would be the descent thing to do. I was just saying they are under no obligation to pay a penny towards it as it’s something they’re entitled to.  Protection costs in this country must be a crazy amount. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

The article says Tony Blair chooses to pay some of his security which is good. It could be 5% for all we know but still better than nothing. Hopefully Harry will do the same, it would be the descent thing to do. I was just saying they are under no obligation to pay a penny towards it as it’s something they’re entitled to.  Protection costs in this country must be a crazy amount. 

Even Nick Clegg gets a hefty allowance.  😕  Talk about a gravy train.

As well as all living ex-prime ministers, the former deputy prime minister Sir Nick Clegg – who has recently taken a new job working for Facebook in California – has also been allowed to claim the allowance. 

The then-head of the Cabinet Office’s propriety and ethics team recommended that Sir Nick be given a lower allowance than the former premiers because he only served as deputy prime minister, but this was ignored and he has been allowed to claim the full £115,000 a year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Harry & Meghan together in London.  They look very happy and relaxed.

h&m.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Toots said:

Harry & Meghan together in London.  They look very happy and relaxed.

h&m.jpg

Nice photo. She must be cold, it’s been freezing here today. 

15 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Nice photo. She must be cold, it’s been freezing here today. 

its been very mild to be fair, thats why she aint wearing a coat

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..