register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

How is Megan doing so far?

21 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

no, just wondered what oz has to offer that canada has not, been to both and i would choice canada in a heart beat, just wondered why you prefer oz

Oz doesn't necessarily have anything 'better' to offer, perhaps apart from a more continual warmer climate year-round, but yet I still miss cold winters and all the fun outdoor activities and festivals that are held in wintertime. 

For me, I had an opportunity through work to experience life in another country (here) and since I didn't have anything tying me down, I decided to give it a whirl. I'm in my fourth year here and will hopefully be getting my citizenship before the end of this year. Once I get that, I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do. I've come to love both countries as they are so similar in so many ways, culturally and politically speaking (NZ I assume would also seem this way to me), which is why I feel very much at home here, more than I ever could in a place like the US.

It would be no surprise to many to hear me say that I think Australia and Canada are the two best countries in the world, warts and all 🙂

Edited by Canada2Australia
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

no, just wondered what oz has to offer that canada has not, been to both and i would choice canada in a heart beat, just wondered why you prefer oz

Just an idea PB but as you have such a downer on Australia, why don't you join a Poms in Canada forum.  I'm sure it would be much more your cup of tea and you would be able to let all the forum members know how much you enjoyed your Canadian holiday rather than forever criticising everything about Australia all the time.  😄

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Toots said:

Just an idea PB but as you have such a downer on Australia, why don't you join a Poms in Canada forum.  I'm sure it would be much more your cup of tea and you would be able to let all the forum members know how much you enjoyed your Canadian holiday rather than forever criticising everything about Australia all the time.  😄

just being 100% honest, i dont have a downer on oz and how have I criticized it by saying i was surprised someone left canada for oz,  just saying that canada IMO is a better place to live.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Well I guess something Oz does have that is 'better' is a lack of sharing a border with the US, which is also appealing to me haha

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

just being 100% honest, i dont have a downer on oz and how have I criticized it by saying i was surprised someone left canada for oz,  just saying that canada IMO is a better place to live.

Oh rightio ...............  so all your many (probably 1,000's) of totally negative posts about Australia are all in my mind.   

Hmmm.gif

• Like 3

Better get back to how Meghan is doing.  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Oh rightio ...............  so all your many (probably 1,000's) of totally negative posts about Australia are all in my mind.   

Hmmm.gif

“Cruel but fair”

Yes I was so relieved for them to hear they are taking it quietly enjoying yoga and country walks, after their traumatic time in UK, while staying for free? In their however many million $ House. Must be tough.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

Oz doesn't necessarily have anything 'better' to offer, perhaps apart from a more continual warmer climate year-round, but yet I still miss cold winters and all the fun outdoor activities and festivals that are held in wintertime. 

For me, I had an opportunity through work to experience life in another country (here) and since I didn't have anything tying me down, I decided to give it a whirl. I'm in my fourth year here and will hopefully be getting my citizenship before the end of this year. Once I get that, I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do. I've come to love both countries as they are so similar in so many ways, culturally and politically speaking (NZ I assume would also seem this way to me), which is why I feel very much at home here, more than I ever could in a place like the US.

It would be no surprise to many to hear me say that I think Australia and Canada are the two best countries in the world, warts and all 🙂

Have you ever considered the UK just out of interest, I lived in Cape Town which in my opinion is the most stunning and beautiful place in the world but circumstances took me away. I agree Canada and oz are great places to live as I have been in both,  but for me the UK cannot be beaten in so so many ways, out of the 3 in would be UK, Canada and then Oz, dont get me wrong Oz would be in my top 10 countries to live in the whole world.

8 hours ago, Toots said:

Hmmm.gif

You dont see many posts knocking Oz, just knocking the infrastructure and policies, I dont knock oz as a country.

Yes- we are definitely very slow on the uptake re infrastructure here. Public transport not too good ( where are the fast trains between capitals?), inability to shift water from even one town to another drier one despite having talked about it since Federation, politicians constantly changing and spending all their time running the opposition down instead of actually doing something useful. Personally I still prefer it here though because the people are great, friendly, good humour and supportive of each other in times of crisis ( of which we have many)

Just now, starlight7 said:

Yes- we are definitely very slow on the uptake re infrastructure here. Public transport not too good ( where are the fast trains between capitals?), inability to shift water from even one town to another drier one despite having talked about it since Federation, politicians constantly changing and spending all their time running the opposition down instead of actually doing something useful. Personally I still prefer it here though because the people are great, friendly, good humour and supportive of each other in times of crisis ( of which we have many)

Mundaring Weir pipeline to Kalgoorlie?

9 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

You dont see many posts knocking Oz, just knocking the infrastructure and policies, I dont knock oz as a country.

True. You mainly concentrate on Perth as a city.

What about the Steve Bracks one from North Victoria to South- never used but cost heaps? What they didn't 'get' is that it is drier in the north- everyone told them but,no, wouldn't listen

9 hours ago, Toots said:

No.

That would be like getting rid of my daily mail reading auntie. 

You would miss the entertainment value.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

What about the Steve Bracks one from North Victoria to South- never used but cost heaps? What they didn't 'get' is that it is drier in the north- everyone told them but,no, wouldn't listen

Never heard of it before. 

Piping water over the great dividing range? Sounds hair brained. 

Why not just build desalination plants?

1 hour ago, Perthbum said:

Have you ever considered the UK just out of interest, I lived in Cape Town which in my opinion is the most stunning and beautiful place in the world but circumstances took me away. I agree Canada and oz are great places to live as I have been in both,  but for me the UK cannot be beaten in so so many ways, out of the 3 in would be UK, Canada and then Oz, dont get me wrong Oz would be in my top 10 countries to live in the whole world.

Well, now that I've been through the highs and lows of an immigration process, I don't think I would care to go through it again. Once is enough for me.

I do qualify for a Commonwealth ancestry visa for the UK as my grandmother was born in England. Had I known that in my younger days, I would have gone for it and perhaps that is where I would have ended up. 

• Like 1

Funny, life.  My Dad had a Canadian passport from his war years training there. We found it after he died. We thought hard about emigrating to Canada when we were young but financially Australia was better and we could get a house straight away here.

• Like 1

I’m not surprised people in Aus are the way they are (community spirit, coming together etc.). With the short-termism and lack of vision or leadership of all the politicians (no one group), they have to take matters into their own hand and be that way.

Canberra is like Hogwarts, out of a Harry Potter novel!
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Perthbum said:

just being 100% honest, i dont have a downer on oz and how have I criticized it by saying i was surprised someone left canada for oz,  just saying that canada IMO is a better place to 

22 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Honestly, PB, your continually critical posts of Aus would suggest the opposite.  

• Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

1 hour ago, ali said:

Honestly, PB, your continually critical posts of Aus would suggest the opposite.  

1 hour ago, ali said:

Ali, Australia as a country is stunning, its the people who live on the island who are ******ing it up big time. 

4 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

Ali, Australia as a country is stunning, its the people who live on the island who are ******ing it up big time. 

I would say the governments both labour and liberal over the past decades have not done very much for the country.  The man in the street is pretty OK.

• Like 2

Just now, Toots said:

I would say the governments both labour and liberal over the past decades have not done very much for the country.  The man in the street is pretty OK.

thats the people vote to run the county toots

4 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

thats the people vote to run the county toots

Yes but what a choice we have to make.  😬