Currently in Brisbane looking for a day out

Leighbee98

Hello folks

we have been in Oz now visiting for a week we are currently in Brisbane cbd and wondered what you suggested for a day out?

we have been to Bribie Island today and Australia zoo yesterday (loved both days) any suggestions? 

(We have a Car and a two year old (eeeek))

thanks folks

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary is a nice day out.  Buy tickets in advance online if you can as it’s cheaper that way.

Or a day on Stradbroke Island, with or without the car as the buses are good.  The north gorge walk is special.  Only issue is that it is quite windy at the moment so the ferry may be a bit uncomfortable.

A day at Brisbane Southbank.  So much to do there and the ‘beach’ and play area is great for small children.

• Thanks 1

Have you been to Mt coota ? https://brisbanelookout.com/

or caught a city cat to New Farm Park ? - https://newfarmpark.com.au/

A bit further afield you can visit Queens Park  at Ipswich or Robelle Domain at Springfield (dont forget to pack swimmers ) - https://www.ipswich.qld.gov.au/about_ipswich/parks_reserves_precincts/parks_search/robelle-domain

You can also Google things to do if you need more ideas and see what takes your fancy - https://www.visitbrisbane.com.au/information/articles/destinations/30-things-to-do-brisbane-region?sc_lang=en-au

Cal x

• Thanks 1

Sirromet winery in mount cotton nice for a cold glass of something, nice views and a small playground for the kids. Lots of wallabies to see hopping around. Nice drive too, 30-40mins south of CBD.

2nd Southbank - loads to do and see. Plus Mount Cootha if you’ve not yet been, great views of the city. 

Straddle is awesome but you would need to plan ahead for that one as a foot passenger. The gorge walk is magnificent, we went earlier this month and saw turtles and Manta Rays. If you have a stroller for the little one there’s a good few steps to be aware of, that said we managed it with a 4 month old. 

Oh theres a nice cafe called the cliffs cafe with a great view of the city in kangaroo point, from eagle st pier CBD you can get the free ferry across to kangaroo point and walk up. Might be a bit far with a little one in this heat actually, but there’s plenty of free parking at the top and free BBQs to use with the great view. If you don’t want to walk up you can still get the free ferry across and there’s a nice spot for a picnic under storey bridge or they have free BBQs you can use and a kids park. 

Walking across storey bridge is an option too followed by a cold beer somewhere along eagle st pier. 

Have fun xxx

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks folks

its our last full day in Oz tomorrow (we’re back in Brisbane and ticking of the ideas above so thank you)

we are so sad to leave Oz we have loved it more than we ever imagined.

funny things we noticed

1. No one beeps their horn

2. I couldn’t by beers in a supermarket (the assistant looked at me funny when I asked where’s the beer)

3. People let me walk first (pushing a push chair with my 2 year old)

4. Business folks have a chat with us in the hotel lifts

5. Oz steak is so cheap

6. Oz beer is so expensive 

7. Oz petrol is so cheap

8. Oz haircuts are exactly the same

9. Days out are bigger better and cheaper ( you don’t feel ripped off)

10. You seem to get so much more for your council tax in Oz than you do in the Uk (street beach, city hopper river boat, parks, bbqs and tables, police presence)

what and excellent time we have had over the last five weeks

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Leighbee98 said:

2. I couldn’t by beers in a supermarket (the assistant looked at me funny when I asked where’s the beer)

Many aspects of life in Oz are governed by state regulations so they differ from one state to another.  I believe NSW and Victoria permit alcohol sales in supermarkets.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip.  😀

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Leighbee98 said:

Thanks folks

its our last full day in Oz tomorrow (we’re back in Brisbane and ticking of the ideas above so thank you)

we are so sad to leave Oz we have loved it more than we ever imagined.

funny things we noticed

1. No one beeps their horn

3. People let me walk first (pushing a push chair with my 2 year old)

4. Business folks have a chat with us in the hotel lifts

5. Oz steak is so cheap

6. Oz beer is so expensive 

7. Oz petrol is so cheap

8. Oz haircuts are exactly the same

9. Days out are bigger better and cheaper ( you don’t feel ripped off)

10. You seem to get so much more for your council tax in Oz than you do in the Uk (street beach, city hopper river boat, parks, bbqs and tables, police presence)

what and excellent time we have had over the last five weeks

Queensland supermarkets are not allowed to sell alcohol.

Queensland Police are funded from the State budget, not local council taxes, and to use the City Cat you need to pay a fare, either per trip or on a Go Card (travelcard).

As for the parks, I guess that depends on your UK home, everywhere I lived in the UK had great parks and open spaces