register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

JetBlast

Adelaide Job Hunting Tips

Hello,

I know about seek.com.au but I am looking for other options as well.

Does anyone know of any other websites I could use please?

Does anyone know of any large employers that don't use Seek please?

Also does anyone know of any or could recommend any recruitment agencies?

I work in IT if that makes any difference.

Thanks very much.

Edited by JetBlast

If it ain’t on Seek it’s probably not being advertised at all.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

If it ain’t on Seek it’s probably not being advertised at all.

Not entirely true, at least not in Adelaide.  The state government has it's own job vacancy site and not all the jobs on there make it to seek.  Same with all three Universities.  Although I will say if it's not on Seek it may be they are expecting to fill the job vacancy with an internal candidate.  Often there will be someone doing the job already on a casual or fixed term basis but they can't give them a continuing position unless they have been merit selected.  In these instances they have to advertise the job and go through the process of recruiting even though they know exactly who they want to give the job to.  It's all a bit of a farce if you ask me and completely unfair on the people who apply for the job.

@JetBlast what area of IT do you work in?  It's worth checking out the University website's for jobs (unisa.edu.au, adelaide.edu.au and flinders.edu.au).  Also see if you can find the state government job website, although I don't particularly recommend working for the state government.  If you say what kind of IT jobs you are looking for I might be able to point you in the direction of a few other places to try (or not depending on the skills).

• Like 3

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

14 minutes ago, NicF said:

Not entirely true, at least not in Adelaide.  The state government has it's own job vacancy site and not all the jobs on there make it to seek.  Same with all three Universities.  Although I will say if it's not on Seek it may be they are expecting to fill the job vacancy with an internal candidate.  Often there will be someone doing the job already on a casual or fixed term basis but they can't give them a continuing position unless they have been merit selected.  In these instances they have to advertise the job and go through the process of recruiting even though they know exactly who they want to give the job to.  It's all a bit of a farce if you ask me and completely unfair on the people who apply for the job.

@JetBlast what area of IT do you work in?  It's worth checking out the University website's for jobs (unisa.edu.au, adelaide.edu.au and flinders.edu.au).  Also see if you can find the state government job website, although I don't particularly recommend working for the state government.  If you say what kind of IT jobs you are looking for I might be able to point you in the direction of a few other places to try (or not depending on the skills).

Hello - Thanks for the reply.

I am looking for IT Management jobs really. I am currently an IT Manager that involves some technical work. Although I am moving myself away from that.
But If I do get stuck maybe something in the technical area. I am Cisco certified and have plenty of experience with Microsoft products and Google cloud services.

Why wouldn't you recommend working for the state government please?

Thanks

Edited by JetBlast

4 hours ago, JetBlast said:

Hello - Thanks for the reply.

I am looking for IT Management jobs really. I am currently an IT Manager that involves some technical work. Although I am moving myself away from that.
But If I do get stuck maybe something in the technical area. I am Cisco certified and have plenty of experience with Microsoft products and Google cloud services.

Why wouldn't you recommend working for the state government please?

Thanks

I think the best way to describe state government IT departments is incompetent.  It isn't so much that individuals are incompetent but rather the organisation and procedures and there is no real drive to change and improve.  People tend to be settled in for life, don't get exposure to best practice elsewhere and are reluctant to change so nothing really changes.  Even if you seem to be in a position to change things there are always obstacles in the way.  If you are happy to just fit in and do whatever you are asked it probably doesn't matter too much but if you want to improve things or do things better it can be a demoralising experience.  Ask @deryans.

IT management of what?  Networks, systems, development?  Organisations will expect you to have experience of managing what they are actually looking for.  Unisa currenlty have a vacancy for a manager in there IT department, see here => https://workingatunisa.nga.net.au/cp/index.cfm?event=jobs.checkJobDetailsNewApplication&returnToEvent=jobs.listJobs&jobid=A2413B14-7F5D-C31A-FA8E-ACE7004F4720&CurATC=External&CurBID=62AFB35D-9273-4A11-8DCC-9DB401354197&JobListID=6197ee04-5be0-8ea1-d1b8-88a13d6e592b&jobsListKey=26ddba18-69ca-4a2e-9184-8240c71ad921&persistVariables=CurATC,CurBID,JobListID,jobsListKey,JobID&lid=27860120078  I happen to know there is someone in the position at the moment but IT have form for appointing an external candidate over the internal person doing the job.  Other places that come to mind that you could look at for work are places such as NCVER, Technology One, RAA, SA Water.  I suspect most of these would advertise positions on Seek but it never hurts to research the organisations and make a direct approach if you think you have skills they can use.  Be prepared to start out as casual or on a short term contract.  These can often lead to permanent work or more contacts for future postions.

• Like 1

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

Thanks for the reply.

I am currently leading a whole IT Department. We have around 5,000 users. Most of the time is involved with IT Strategy driving things forward and making improvements, testing and selecting new products, managing all the projects. I am also ultimately responsible for the on going support of it.

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

6 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

I am currently leading a while IT Department. We have around 5,000 users. Most of the time is involved with IT Strategy driving things forward and making improvements, testing and selecting new products, managing all the projects. I am also ultimately responsible for the on going support of it.

I think your problem might be that you're over-qualified.  Most of the large companies in Australia have their head offices in Sydney.  A handful are in Melbourne or Brisbane.  Mining companies might have a major office in Perth.  So trying to find a senior IT job in Adelaide would be very difficult, I would think.  

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I did think that myself. It's a similar problem where I live now in the UK. My type of job is few and far between.

I don't plan on randomly firing our my CV and hoping one sticks but taking care to taylor my cover letter, CV etc.

28 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

I did think that myself. It's a similar problem where I live now in the UK. My type of job is few and far between.

I don't plan on randomly firing our my CV and hoping one sticks but taking care to taylor my cover letter, CV etc.

Jobs aren't always advertised and it's who you know. I'd expect that to be particularly true in Adelaide which is a fairly clique-y place.  

I've seen suggestions that networking on LinkedIn is a good way to go.   Also research what companies exist in Adelaide and maybe do some spec applications?

Linked in definitely.  For a start you might find you have contacts. 

PR (100) granted 12 Nov 2018, validation Trip Feb 2019, planning to move to Perth Sep-Oct 2019!