Adelaide Job Hunting Tips

JetBlast

Hello,

I know about seek.com.au but I am looking for other options as well.

Does anyone know of any other websites I could use please?

Does anyone know of any large employers that don't use Seek please?

Also does anyone know of any or could recommend any recruitment agencies?

I work in IT if that makes any difference.

Thanks very much.

Edited by JetBlast
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

If it ain’t on Seek it’s probably not being advertised at all.

Not entirely true, at least not in Adelaide.  The state government has it's own job vacancy site and not all the jobs on there make it to seek.  Same with all three Universities.  Although I will say if it's not on Seek it may be they are expecting to fill the job vacancy with an internal candidate.  Often there will be someone doing the job already on a casual or fixed term basis but they can't give them a continuing position unless they have been merit selected.  In these instances they have to advertise the job and go through the process of recruiting even though they know exactly who they want to give the job to.  It's all a bit of a farce if you ask me and completely unfair on the people who apply for the job.

@JetBlast what area of IT do you work in?  It's worth checking out the University website's for jobs (unisa.edu.au, adelaide.edu.au and flinders.edu.au).  Also see if you can find the state government job website, although I don't particularly recommend working for the state government.  If you say what kind of IT jobs you are looking for I might be able to point you in the direction of a few other places to try (or not depending on the skills).

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NicF said:

Not entirely true, at least not in Adelaide.  The state government has it's own job vacancy site and not all the jobs on there make it to seek.  Same with all three Universities.  Although I will say if it's not on Seek it may be they are expecting to fill the job vacancy with an internal candidate.  Often there will be someone doing the job already on a casual or fixed term basis but they can't give them a continuing position unless they have been merit selected.  In these instances they have to advertise the job and go through the process of recruiting even though they know exactly who they want to give the job to.  It's all a bit of a farce if you ask me and completely unfair on the people who apply for the job.

@JetBlast what area of IT do you work in?  It's worth checking out the University website's for jobs (unisa.edu.au, adelaide.edu.au and flinders.edu.au).  Also see if you can find the state government job website, although I don't particularly recommend working for the state government.  If you say what kind of IT jobs you are looking for I might be able to point you in the direction of a few other places to try (or not depending on the skills).

Hello - Thanks for the reply.

I am looking for IT Management jobs really. I am currently an IT Manager that involves some technical work. Although I am moving myself away from that.
But If I do get stuck maybe something in the technical area. I am Cisco certified and have plenty of experience with Microsoft products and Google cloud services.

Why wouldn't you recommend working for the state government please?

Thanks

Edited by JetBlast

4 hours ago, JetBlast said:

Hello - Thanks for the reply.

I am looking for IT Management jobs really. I am currently an IT Manager that involves some technical work. Although I am moving myself away from that.
But If I do get stuck maybe something in the technical area. I am Cisco certified and have plenty of experience with Microsoft products and Google cloud services.

Why wouldn't you recommend working for the state government please?

Thanks

I think the best way to describe state government IT departments is incompetent.  It isn't so much that individuals are incompetent but rather the organisation and procedures and there is no real drive to change and improve.  People tend to be settled in for life, don't get exposure to best practice elsewhere and are reluctant to change so nothing really changes.  Even if you seem to be in a position to change things there are always obstacles in the way.  If you are happy to just fit in and do whatever you are asked it probably doesn't matter too much but if you want to improve things or do things better it can be a demoralising experience.  Ask @deryans.

IT management of what?  Networks, systems, development?  Organisations will expect you to have experience of managing what they are actually looking for.  Unisa currenlty have a vacancy for a manager in there IT department, see here => https://workingatunisa.nga.net.au/cp/index.cfm?event=jobs.checkJobDetailsNewApplication&returnToEvent=jobs.listJobs&jobid=A2413B14-7F5D-C31A-FA8E-ACE7004F4720&CurATC=External&CurBID=62AFB35D-9273-4A11-8DCC-9DB401354197&JobListID=6197ee04-5be0-8ea1-d1b8-88a13d6e592b&jobsListKey=26ddba18-69ca-4a2e-9184-8240c71ad921&persistVariables=CurATC,CurBID,JobListID,jobsListKey,JobID&lid=27860120078  I happen to know there is someone in the position at the moment but IT have form for appointing an external candidate over the internal person doing the job.  Other places that come to mind that you could look at for work are places such as NCVER, Technology One, RAA, SA Water.  I suspect most of these would advertise positions on Seek but it never hurts to research the organisations and make a direct approach if you think you have skills they can use.  Be prepared to start out as casual or on a short term contract.  These can often lead to permanent work or more contacts for future postions.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

I am currently leading a whole IT Department. We have around 5,000 users. Most of the time is involved with IT Strategy driving things forward and making improvements, testing and selecting new products, managing all the projects. I am also ultimately responsible for the on going support of it.

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

6 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

I am currently leading a while IT Department. We have around 5,000 users. Most of the time is involved with IT Strategy driving things forward and making improvements, testing and selecting new products, managing all the projects. I am also ultimately responsible for the on going support of it.

I think your problem might be that you're over-qualified.  Most of the large companies in Australia have their head offices in Sydney.  A handful are in Melbourne or Brisbane.  Mining companies might have a major office in Perth.  So trying to find a senior IT job in Adelaide would be very difficult, I would think.  

28 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

I did think that myself. It's a similar problem where I live now in the UK. My type of job is few and far between.

I don't plan on randomly firing our my CV and hoping one sticks but taking care to taylor my cover letter, CV etc.

Jobs aren't always advertised and it's who you know. I'd expect that to be particularly true in Adelaide which is a fairly clique-y place.  

I've seen suggestions that networking on LinkedIn is a good way to go.   Also research what companies exist in Adelaide and maybe do some spec applications?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Skhush said:

Hi All,

I am waiting for grant on 489 SA.... I wanted to know if its difficult to get job in Adelaide specially in IT? I have experience of 12+ years in Project Management Office. 

If you read the other posts in this thread, you’ll see your question is already answered. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Can anyone help to share the typical salaries offered to ICT project managers and coordinators freshly arriving in Adelaide? I understand it will be different from case to case but a realistic ballpark figure or range would help. 

Ive got over 11 years exp myself but I’m prepared to start at a lower position if that increases the probability of landing a job. 

@JetBlast thanks for starting this thread!

Cheers!

On 16/03/2019 at 21:28, Skhush said:

Hi All,

I am waiting for grant on 489 SA.... I wanted to know if its difficult to get job in Adelaide specially in IT? I have experience of 12+ years in Project Management Office. 

Adelaide can be a tough job market, but it depends what you do and what you are willing to do.  A lot of IT roles at the moment are defence based which require Australian Citizenship which knocks out most new arrivals.  There is still work around, but there is also a lot of competition for the roles.

4 hours ago, Bazooka Boy said:

Hi guys,

Can anyone help to share the typical salaries offered to ICT project managers and coordinators freshly arriving in Adelaide? I understand it will be different from case to case but a realistic ballpark figure or range would help. 

Ive got over 11 years exp myself but I’m prepared to start at a lower position if that increases the probability of landing a job. 

@JetBlast thanks for starting this thread!

Cheers!

Compared to the UK a lot of jobs in Adelaide don't quote the salary in their adverts.  Phone screening is very popular, often aimed at reducing the potential interview pool for the next stage.  One of the questions you will often get asked is "what is your salary expectation?", how you answer this question can make the difference between moving to the next stage or not.  When I work with my clients, I look at their skill set, potential employers in Adelaide that will suit their personality (cultural fit is a big deal here), how to market their resume/CV and also discuss their salary expectations and whether they are realistic for the roles they are applying for. 

Edited by Jessica Berry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jessica Berry said:

Compared to the UK a lot of jobs in Adelaide don't quote the salary in their adverts.  Phone screening is very popular, often aimed at reducing the potential interview pool for the next stage.  One of the questions you will often get asked is "what is your salary expectation?", how you answer this question can make the difference between moving to the next stage or not.  When I work with my clients, I look at their skill set, potential employers in Adelaide that will suit their personality (cultural fit is a big deal here), how to market their resume/CV and also discuss their salary expectations and whether they are realistic for the roles they are applying for. 

Thanks @Jessica Berry that was insightful!

Are you a recruitment consultant in Adelaide? 

Also can you elaborate more on the “cultural fit” part? What is seen as the ideal qualities? 

• 3 weeks later...