Length of time in job

Jade6554

Hi, my occupation (that I’ve been in for five years with a short break in the middle) isn’t on the skills shortage list, however jobs that I could move into using my transferrable skills are on there. I’m about to go to Australia on the working holiday visa and I’m wondering if it’s worth attempting to move into one of these occupations while I’m there for the year or if that wouldn’t be long enough in that occupation to then seek sponsorship from an employer? 

Thanks for any help offered 

1 year won't be enough experience. As well as that most occupations require to be qualified in that field and have post qualification experience.

Are there other jobs on the list that are similar to yours? It doesn't have to be a 100% exact match. For example in my day job I am an IT Manager. However my visa was under Network Administrator as I have a networking qualification and do related actives at work.

Also have you checked the state sponsorship lists? For example my Network Administrator occupation was only on the list for South Australia. It wasn't on any other state list or the list for the 189 visa.

Thanks for your reply. I have looked but to put it into context I’m a probation officer, so I thought that the only other avenue would be covered by the job titled ‘Social professionals’  but upon looking into that it doesn’t appear to be covered by that title. Frustrating as it was a job listed on their previous skills shortage list! I hadn’t got as far as looking at areas that may/may not be covered by the state sponsorship list to be honest, just wanted to see if it was even worth beginning to research but if it’s not meant to be I can just enjoy my year there and end up somewhere else in the longer term.

1 hour ago, Jade6554 said:

Thanks for your reply. I have looked but to put it into context I’m a probation officer, so I thought that the only other avenue would be covered by the job titled ‘Social professionals’  but upon looking into that it doesn’t appear to be covered by that title. Frustrating as it was a job listed on their previous skills shortage list! I hadn’t got as far as looking at areas that may/may not be covered by the state sponsorship list to be honest, just wanted to see if it was even worth beginning to research but if it’s not meant to be I can just enjoy my year there and end up somewhere else in the longer term.

The WHV only allows you to work for the same employer for 6 months.

• Like 1