You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Natgoesrunning

Autistic child moving to Australia will they accept British diagnosis for NDIS support

Hi all, we are planning to move to Melbourne January 2020. My son is on the autistic spectrum and we have full diagnostic report from the UK. Will we need to get another one in Australia to apply for NDIS support? Thanks!!!

1 hour ago, Natgoesrunning said:

Hi all, we are planning to move to Melbourne January 2020. My son is on the autistic spectrum and we have full diagnostic report from the UK. Will we need to get another one in Australia to apply for NDIS support? Thanks!!!

First of all you need to make sure you can get a visa. Your sons condition may mean you can’t. You need to establish that before anything else 

1 hour ago, Natgoesrunning said:

I would say take all your reports with you, they will help but NDIS will do it’s own assessment. It is still relatively new and not sure the process is very good. Known a few go through it and they have struggled to get the amount of funding needed. It may have improved......

He has his Australian Citizenship by descent, lucky we don't need to get a visa! Just waiting for my husband's Spouse visa.

• Like 1

https://www.ndis.gov.au/about-us/operational-guidelines/access-ndis-table-contents/access-ndis-determining-whether

Get all assessments updated - cognitive functioning, adaptive behaviour, skill levels, language assessments, physical functionality and ieps. That's going to be a reasonable starting point - be sure that assessments are objective and assessors qualifications are clearly listed. Coming from UK you should be OK but if they need more they will ask you for more or want to make their own assessments.

Its not the smoothest of processes and everyone I know complains about the lack of funding and resources to access. 

Edited by Quoll