You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Phoenix16

What Book are you reading??

Ok I know there is a similar thread but just can’t find it... happy for an expert to link it up!!

anyway, just finished a few;  Minette Walters ‘the last hours’ and sequel; just amazing, fantastic story but learned so much about the pestilence, how the church ruled, lords, serfs and desmesnes, a history lesson wrapped up in an amazing story, loved both books!!

Peter Fitzsimmons ‘Mutiny on the Bounty’; could not put it down, read it in 2 days and loved every page.  Then felt compelled to watch the movie (Mel Gibson version!!) so disappointing after such a great read, the movie ends where the book just gets started!!

• Like 1

I am currently reading The Yorkshire Shepherdess after throughly enjoying the TV programme Our Yorkshire Farm, following the life of a shepherdess and her children on their farm in the dales.

I've just finished reading Lethal White by Robert Galbraith, part of a series of Detective novels called Strike. 

I'm also reading Human Universe by Prof. Brian Cox whose books I love! 

• Like 2

She slept with wolves without fear, for the wolves knew a lion was among them...

The Fatal Shore - Robert Hughes.

A fascinating and very thorough examination of the foundation of modern Australia from colonisation onwards, the political reasoning and the horrors of British social life that made transportation a desire for the rulers, the successes, and the individual narratives of a country being founded with little oversight and no supervision. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Phoenix16 said:

Ok I know there is a similar thread but just can’t find it... happy for an expert to link it up!!

anyway, just finished a few;  Minette Walters ‘the last hours’ and sequel; just amazing, fantastic story but learned so much about the pestilence, how the church ruled, lords, serfs and desmesnes, a history lesson wrapped up in an amazing story, loved both books!!

Peter Fitzsimmons ‘Mutiny on the Bounty’; could not put it down, read it in 2 days and loved every page.  Then felt compelled to watch the movie (Mel Gibson version!!) so disappointing after such a great read, the movie ends where the book just gets started!!

I find that the movies of books are always disappointing.

Also enjoyed those Minette Walters books.  👍 I think I've read all her books now.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

I am half way through Val McDermid's 'Broken Ground' and recently finished reading The Maid's Room by Fiona Mitchell.

• Like 1

I'm reading Michelle Obama's book

• Like 2

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Just read The Elephant Whisperer by Lawrence Anthony. True story of a South African conservationist, who in 1999 took a rogue herd of wild elephants on to his game reserve in Zululand, to save them. He risked his life to create a special bond with them.

Loved the book.

It was quite widely reported in the press when he died in 2012 that the 2 herds of rescued elephants travelled through miles of Zululand bush arriving a day apart to mourn his death. They had not visited the house for the previous year and a half.

• Like 2

Old Toodyay and Newcastle ... very interesting to read the history of the area I live in ...

• Like 1

How to win friends and influence people.

PerthBum lent it to me, it's immaculate!

• Haha 4

I have just read "The Light Between Oceans" by M. L. Stedman.    Interesting story about right and wrong and set in West Australia on the south west coast.   Very powerful and moving story of a Lighthouse Keeper and his wife.   I believe there is a film of the book, but I haven't seen it, always preferring not to sully a good book by watching a hatchet job on the big screen.

• Like 2

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

5 hours ago, Rossmoyne said:

I have just read "The Light Between Oceans" by M. L. Stedman.    Interesting story about right and wrong and set in West Australia on the south west coast.   Very powerful and moving story of a Lighthouse Keeper and his wife.   I believe there is a film of the book, but I haven't seen it, always preferring not to sully a good book by watching a hatchet job on the big screen.

I loved this book.  I like to read the book then watch the film, the film never lives up to the book and in this case it didn’t either😪!! 

17 hours ago, Captain_Tor said:

I am currently reading The Yorkshire Shepherdess after throughly enjoying the TV programme Our Yorkshire Farm, following the life of a shepherdess and her children on their farm in the dales.

I've just finished reading Lethal White by Robert Galbraith, part of a series of Detective novels called Strike. 

I'm also reading Human Universe by Prof. Brian Cox whose books I love! 

I’ve also read Lethal White, loved it, read all the Galbraith books and they get better and better, was a long wait for Lethal White to finally be released though😬!!!

Quite a few replies have mentioned how the film never lives up to the book and I tend to agree.. so I will pose the question has anyone ever found the film to be better than the book?  Someone once commented to me that The Godfather is the only film that is better than the book, I’ve read it and watched it but so so long ago now I wouldn’t like to give an opinion!!

Edited by Phoenix16
Typos

59 minutes ago, Phoenix16 said:

I’ve also read Lethal White, loved it, read all the Galbraith books and they get better and better, was a long wait for Lethal White to finally be released though😬!!!

Really enjoyed all 3, hope he/she writes more in the series as I have an awful feeling that I read somewhere it was going to be a trilogy?

8 hours ago, Phoenix16 said:

Quite a few replies have mentioned how the film never lives up to the book and I tend to agree.. so I will pose the question has anyone ever found the film to be better than the book?  Someone once commented to me that The Godfather is the only film that is better than the book, I’ve read it and watched it but so so long ago now I wouldn’t like to give an opinion!!

I don't know how any film can every be better than a book, especially if you have read the book before seeing the film.

No director, producer or special effects budget will ever be better than your imagination!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, unzippy said:

I don't know how any film can every be better than a book, especially if you have read the book before seeing the film.

No director, producer or special effects budget will ever be better than your imagination!

That's just it.  You have imagined what the characters look like and all the other details and the movie never seems to live up to that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Phoenix16 said:

Quite a few replies have mentioned how the film never lives up to the book and I tend to agree.. so I will pose the question has anyone ever found the film to be better than the book?

I’ve seen one or two where the film was better. Sometimes you get a novel which has a good story but the writer gets bogged down in internal monologues or flowery language, and the film can cut through all that. I think the Tom Clancy books are better as films because he spends pages sharing all his research. I’m likely to abandon those kinds of books but then enjoy the film.

I agree though, that if you’ve liked a book enough to finish it, then you’ve probably got the characters too fixed in your mind.

Then there are the films which take the germ of a book and use it to create something different. The Marigold Hotel springs to mind - ordinary book, fun film with a very different story

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Actually I do agree with you here Marisa with regard to Tom Clancy anyway.  I haven't read the book The Marigold Hotel but did enjoy the movie.  😀

• Like 1

Totally agree about Marigold Hotel Marisa.   Just started reading "The Woman Next Door" by Liz Byrski.  Liz Byrski is a West Australian author in her 50/60's and she writes stories based on women and their lives and how they all intertwine with each other.   I have read a few of her books recently, so hoping this one lives up to the greatness of the others I have read.

• Like 1

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog: