Jump to content
Phoenix16

What Book are you reading??

Recommended Posts

It is interesting that Lee Child is winding down / retiring and is handing over the Jack Reacher novels to his brother Andrew who is also a thriller writer.

They are going to write the next couple of books together and then Andrew takes over full time.

It has happened before successfully so we will see how it goes.

Edited by Parley
  • Thanks 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parley said:

It is interesting that Lee Child is winding down / retiring and is handing over the Jack Reacher novels to his brother Andrew who is also a thriller writer.

They are going to write the next couple of books together and then Andrew takes over full time.

It has happened before successfully so we will see how it goes.

trouble is, you read one, you've read them all. A computer could churn them out, they're incredible simplistic books with an identical formula.

  • Like 1

Matt Hancock on TV, crying like the stepfather appealing for the return of the daughter he knows is buried under the garage floor.

  •  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Three Body Problem - Cixin Liu.   First of a trilogy, well worth a read and a good slog.

 


Matt Hancock on TV, crying like the stepfather appealing for the return of the daughter he knows is buried under the garage floor.

  •  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I downloaded to my Kindle The Complete Short Stories by Ernest Hemingway after looking at a couple of  sites explaining how to "write like Hemingway" - short sentences, no adverbs. 

Good stories but the first two are not exactly PC - Big Game Hunting and Bullfighting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/11/2020 at 13:16, Parley said:

It is interesting that Lee Child is winding down / retiring and is handing over the Jack Reacher novels to his brother Andrew who is also a thriller writer.

They are going to write the next couple of books together and then Andrew takes over full time.

It has happened before successfully so we will see how it goes.

Just finished the latest, I thought it was a bit wordy compared to LC.  He also repeated himself a few times.

I noticed the word Feller and Geezer too. Don’t remember that sort of English slang before. Felt a bit gratuitous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, unzippy said:

Just finished the latest, I thought it was a bit wordy compared to LC.  He also repeated himself a few times.

I noticed the word Feller and Geezer too. Don’t remember that sort of English slang before. Felt a bit gratuitous.

I've got this one lined up to read but haven't started yet. Had a message from my Dad in the UK that it was 'mediocre'. But 25 (?) books of the same plot/theme/formula is going to wear thin eventually!  I enjoyed the earlier ones much more than the last few. 

  • Like 1

309/100 visa application lodged 28/08/13 | Visa sub-class 309 granted 09/05/14 | 100 (PR) visa application lodged 27/09/15 | PR granted 13/04/16 | Citizenship application lodged 18/06/19 | Citizenship interview invite 02/03/20  22/09/20 | Citizenship interview 27/04/20 11/11/20 | Ceremony invite 4/12/20 | Ceremony held 26/01/21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/12/2020 at 21:02, vickyplum said:

I've got this one lined up to read but haven't started yet. Had a message from my Dad in the UK that it was 'mediocre'. But 25 (?) books of the same plot/theme/formula is going to wear thin eventually!  I enjoyed the earlier ones much more than the last few. 

Oh yes, agree completely.  I think Killing Floor is outstanding😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, unzippy said:

Oh yes, agree completely.  I think Killing Floor is outstanding😎

I've got them all (?) on my Kindle so might start to re-read some of the better ones. I've forgotten the plots mostly, so it will be like reading them anew!


309/100 visa application lodged 28/08/13 | Visa sub-class 309 granted 09/05/14 | 100 (PR) visa application lodged 27/09/15 | PR granted 13/04/16 | Citizenship application lodged 18/06/19 | Citizenship interview invite 02/03/20  22/09/20 | Citizenship interview 27/04/20 11/11/20 | Ceremony invite 4/12/20 | Ceremony held 26/01/21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/12/2020 at 18:38, vickyplum said:

I've got them all (?) on my Kindle so might start to re-read some of the better ones. I've forgotten the plots mostly, so it will be like reading them anew!

My favourite character is Harry Bosch by Michael Connelly, and the Bosch TV series on Amazon Prime is excellent.

  • Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/12/2020 at 12:59, Parley said:

My favourite character is Harry Bosch by Michael Connelly, and the Bosch TV series on Amazon Prime is excellent.

If you like him, check out Robert Crais, similarly as good IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apollo 11 -  The Inside Story by David Whitehouse, ex astronomer at Jodrell Bank radio observatory and later BBC science correspondent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🙂

Some excellent suggestions here. Worthy of further investigation on my part.

I am really struggling with books lately. Started loads in the last year and have not finished any of them.

Use to devour them in long reading sessions, but now cannot seem to concentrate long enough to really enjoy them.

Best books I have read recently in full were:

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.

Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks (very apt given the circumstances).

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

I have been trying to read Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defore, but am finding it very hard going.

I really like Agatha Christie books and have read and reread almost all of them, but I suppose she is classed as terribly old fashioned these days.

It is funny how the film and book versions are so different. I absolutely love the television series "His Dark Materials", but simply cannot get into the book series. And absolutely adored the book The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller - but detested the film.

 

 

 

   

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/10/2020 at 16:43, HappyHeart said:

Reading is becoming a lost art. One of my favourite places is the library. I rarely buy new books.

Agreed.

I love the library.

But one of my favourite places is a second hand book shop.

I love the "history" and treasure trove you can find in them, if you care to take the time to look.

Last week I found an old depreciated childrens book with a very faded inscription inside the front cover from the 1920s. A loving handwritten Christmas gift message from a parent to a child. Written 60 years before I was even born.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished 1000 years of annoying the French by Stephen Clark. Quite like history and it was very entertaining. As an Australian, I hadn't appreciated the extent of the animosity. Explains a lot.

Now reading the Odin mission. It's a WW2 BOOK based in Norway. Not sure what I think of it yet.


Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just read Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart.  I reserved it at the local library to find I was number 92 in the queue for the book  😲 so I bought it.  Who would have thought that anybody in Tasmania would be interested in a semi-autobiographical story about a wee boy and his relationship with his alcoholic mother  - growing up in poverty in Glasgow in the 1980s.  It is in many ways a harsh, bleak novel, because that decade was a harsh and bleak time in Glasgow, when the shipyards, engineering works and the coalfields on the city’s fringe were closing, and so many of the working-class were no longer working but living on benefits.

I don't usually bother much with Booker Prize winners but made an exception for this one.  👍

 

sbain.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read a wide genre of books and seem to go through phases.   My current phase is Biographies.   I have recently read Olivia Newton-John's, Jennifer Saunders', Elton John's, and this morning I started Maggie Smith's.   I find it fascinating to find out what other people's lives have been like and what made them what they are.   Dame Judi Dench is the next in line!

  • Like 1

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rossmoyne said:

I read a wide genre of books and seem to go through phases.   My current phase is Biographies.   I have recently read Olivia Newton-John's, Jennifer Saunders', Elton John's, and this morning I started Maggie Smith's.   I find it fascinating to find out what other people's lives have been like and what made them what they are.   Dame Judi Dench is the next in line!

Helen Mirren would be a good one too.

  • Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Parley said:

Helen Mirren would be a good one too.

Agree Parley.... I will add her to my list!

  • Like 1

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Parley said:

Helen Mirren would be a good one too.

I've read her autobiography.   Her father was Russian so her real name is very Russian sounding.  The book has lots of photographs throughout.  A good read too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Toots said:

I've read her autobiography.   Her father was Russian so her real name is very Russian sounding.  The book has lots of photographs throughout.  A good read too.

She has a tattoo on her hand which is a bit out there too.


I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm reading sandy toksviks Between the Stops. It is very funny in parts. For those who don't know her, she host's QI.

She talks about the 90s alot. I often think of the nineties as being the same as today. But we have obviously progressed.

Not for discussion on here as too political, but a very good read.


Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/12/2020 at 15:38, unzippy said:

Steve Smith's Men by Geoff Lemon.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41566650-steve-smith-s-men

Blimey😳!

What a steaming pile Cricket Australia is, if they're was ever a need to drain the swamp, they're ripe for it!

Thanks for the recommendation, that's an interesting book.  I like the player profiles, especially Warner, and agree with the book's two central theses, which are:

1. Everybody has been ball-tampering for decades, and there was a hysterical over-reaction to the sandpaper incident.

2. Sledging - or 'pre-planned bullying' as Pat Cummins is quoted as calling it - is a much more serious problem in Australian cricket, but is actively encouraged.

Have you read Gideon Haigh's Crossing the Line?  That's all about how Australian cricket has turned to **** as the ACB, run by cricket enthusiasts, has morphed into 'Cricket Australia', run by MBAs, bankers and mining executives.  Puts the sandpaper thing into a longer historical context.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42286350-crossing-the-line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, GrandpaGrumble said:

Thanks for the recommendation, that's an interesting book.  I like the player profiles, especially Warner, and agree with the book's two central theses, which are:

1. Everybody has been ball-tampering for decades, and there was a hysterical over-reaction to the sandpaper incident.

2. Sledging - or 'pre-planned bullying' as Pat Cummins is quoted as calling it - is a much more serious problem in Australian cricket, but is actively encouraged.

Have you read Gideon Haigh's Crossing the Line?  That's all about how Australian cricket has turned to **** as the ACB, run by cricket enthusiasts, has morphed into 'Cricket Australia', run by MBAs, bankers and mining executives.  Puts the sandpaper thing into a longer historical context.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42286350-crossing-the-line

Not yet, will do.  Ta.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×