Phoenix16

What Book are you reading??

Reading is becoming a lost art. Give me an old fashioned book any day. One of my favourite places is the library. I rarely buy new books. 

I like to buy and receive books at Christmas though. Even if some perceive them to be a 'boring' present. Better than endless plastic crap,  useless gadgets, designer label clothing and 'stuff' 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Reading is becoming a lost art. Give me an old fashioned book any day. One of my favourite places is the library. I rarely buy new books. 

I like to buy and receive books at Christmas though. Even if some perceive them to be a 'boring' present. Better than endless plastic crap,  useless gadgets, designer label clothing and 'stuff' 

Mine too.  I order any book I fancy in and if the local library doesn't have it, it's sent to our library from any of the libraries in Tassie.   Other than that there is a group of us who swop books around amongst us. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Hey! Don't knock.chick lit! It's never 'Just' anything. It takes skill to write a good yarn and I'm not averse to a bit of Marian Keyes.

I hate the snobbery around literature. Chick lit is my favourite genre I have to say. Escapism. Some authors think the more wordy the prose the more profound it is. I don't subscribe to that view. 

Of all the chic lit authors my favourites are Patricia Scanlan, Cathy Kelly, Sinead Moriarty and Emma Hannigan.  They all happen to be Irish and they write some very good stories. 😀

• Like 1

Just now, Toots said:

Of all the chic lit authors my favourites are Patricia Scanlan, Cathy Kelly, Sinead Moriarty and Emma Hannigan.  They all happen to be Irish and they write some very good stories. 😀

They often are Irish! I've read a lot of Cathy Kelly. Love her work. This is my latest library book, haven't started it yet but this thread has prompted me!

20201025_140515.jpg

If you want a really gripping, frothy Aussie chick lit book read Tess Woods Love at First flight. She's a Perth girl and a friend of a friend. I loved it so much. Her second novel wasn't as good but still passed a weekend!  

• Like 2

I also like, Sophie Kinsella, Helen Fielding
and probably my very favourite Cecelia Ahern
Cant forget good old Maeve Binchy...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

If you want a really gripping, frothy Aussie chick lit book read Tess Woods Love at First flight. She's a Perth girl and a friend of a friend. I loved it so much. Her second novel wasn't as good but still passed a weekend!  

An author from Perth I like is Liz Byrski.

• Like 2

Just now, HappyHeart said:

I also like, Sophie Kinsella, Helen Fielding
and probably my very favourite Cecelia Ahern
Cant forget good old Maeve Binchy...

Yes all those!  

• Like 1

Seems like women only read women authors.

It is very rare i read a book by a female author.

I want it all, and I want it now.

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Yes all those!  

@Toots have you read any Michael Rowbotham.

I read one and thought it excellent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parley said:

Yes, I’ve read two, both excellent. If you like him you might like Garry Disher, thrillers set in Melbourne mostly. 

Have you read Val McDermid?

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

3 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

I saw the reference there to George Orwell's Animal Farm . 

Who recalls their high school years and their book reviews for the (now Year 10 or similar) English exams, in last semester?  From memory, and I am talking about times during the early 70's,  we were given a cluster of novels and we had to choose four books. Again, a fuzzy memory but I recall a number of books out of the cluster, some of which I have re-visited over  the years,  These included: 

Animal Farm - George  Orwell

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

The Day of the Triffids - ?

The Red Badge of Courage = ?

The Foreigner - Leo Walmsley

The Merchant of Venice - W. Shakespeare

Lord of the Flies - ?

Fang - Jack London

Etc

Etc

How is your memory?  Probably better than mine.

I actually don’t remember which ones I did at school. Lord of the flies is a great book and still doing the rounds today. My kids did that one as well as Of Mice and Men and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Great books that must have been read by millions of kids. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Parley said:

I haven't yet Parley.  He sounds right up my street.  I'll put him on my list of must reads.  

I also like Val McDermid @Marisawright and Stuart McBride too.  Like his sense of humour mixed in with all the gory murders etc.

17 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I actually don’t remember which ones I did at school. Lord of the flies is a great book and still doing the rounds today. My kids did that one as well as Of Mice and Men and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Great books that must have been read by millions of kids. 

Just remembered another book from the school syllabus way back then.  It was not like the other books at all.  It was called The Hobbit . Looking back, what a wonderful variety to study for 15/16 year olds. 

Also Moby Dick - Herman Melville ?

Edited by Dusty Plains

32 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, I’ve read two, both excellent. If you like him you might like Garry Disher, thrillers set in Melbourne mostly. 

Have you read Val McDermid?

No I haven't read his/hers ? But coincidentally I am currently rewatching Wire in the Blood which is on Amazon Prime. It is based on Val's characters.

20 minutes ago, Parley said:

No I haven't read his/hers ? But coincidentally I am currently rewatching Wire in the Blood which is on Amazon Prime. It is based on Val's characters.

I avoided the books for ages because I saw a bit of Wire in the Blood and it seemed too gory. Then a friend gave me one and it was excellent. Gruesome murders but also good characterisation and plot

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

6 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I avoided the books for ages because I saw a bit of Wire in the Blood and it seemed too gory. Then a friend gave me one and it was excellent. Gruesome murders but also good characterisation and plot

Some of them are a bit gross. They aren't as good as I remembered them to be actually.

1 hour ago, Dusty Plains said:

Just remembered another book from the school syllabus way back then.  It was not like the other books at all.  It was called The Hobbit . Looking back, what a wonderful variety to study for 15/16 year olds. 

Also Moby Dick - Herman Melville ?

Oranges are not the only fruit, Jeanette Winterson and 1984,  Orwell

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toots said:

An author from Perth I like is Liz Byrski.

Yes, me too. No-one has mentioned Marion Keyes yet, I'm a big fan of her writing

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

Yes, me too. No-one has mentioned Marion Keyes yet, I'm a big fan of her writing

I did! Just read one of hers (Grown Ups) and read most of her older stuff. 

Edited by HappyHeart
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Parley said:

So am I, i have recorded them

• Like 1

Reading Richard Holmes at the moment, his War Walks and Tommy are amongst some of the best war history books, good on detail, excellent on explanations of the experience of the ordinary soldier and also how decisions got made and the cost for senior officers. He was a great historian in terms of his breadth of knowledge and using only information which has good provenance.

A great misfortune that he died from  complications of long term Diabetes

11 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

Read all her books.  How dId I manage to miss her from my list of Irish writers?  😐

• Like 1

On 23/10/2020 at 17:12, Parley said:

Today I just finished a Johnathan Kellerman novel featuring Alez Delaware the psychologist.

My mum was an avid reader of crime novels and I'm slowly working through books of hers since she passed away.

Reading is good when you have the time. 

Love Jonathon Kellerman novels and his hero of Alex Delaware are brilliant.

• Like 1

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

I also read local WA authors.   Check out Liz Byrski... Claire Boston... Fleur McDonald... all briliant.

• Like 1

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog: