Phoenix16

What Book are you reading??

13 hours ago, Toots said:

I enjoyed watching Vera on TV too but the books are better.  Did you ever read John Rankin's Rebus series or watch it on TV?  Rebus is set in Edinburgh and Detective Inspector John Rebus is a scruffy, heavy smoker and heavy drinker.  He managed to reached a fairly high rank in the force so why not Vera. 

Because he's a man!    

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

31 minutes ago, Toots said:

Yes they have.  I enjoyed the ones I've seen but the books are better.

Will have look out for the books we also enjoyed the series we watched 

On 23/10/2020 at 08:47, Toots said:

I've just started reading Troubled Blood.  This is the 5th book in the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith aka J K Rowling.  It's 927 pages long so it''ll keep me out of mischief for a wee while.

Kept me guessing right to the end! It’s a very large tome but I just didn’t want it to end, 10/10 for me xx

• Like 2

I’ve just finished ‘The morning and the Evening’ Ken Follet, a prequel to Pillars of the Earth, another massive tome to read but loved it and highly recommend!

Another book comment! I’m currently besides myself awaiting the release of Troy by Stephen Fry, it’s 3rd November and just cannot wait... it’s the follow up to Mythos and Heroes, just love them, brings Greek mythology to the masses in the most entertaining way, both books 10/10 again!

• Like 1

On 23/10/2020 at 12:51, Quoll said:

I've started that one a few times, mainly because Thomas Cromwell is an ancestor uncle of my granddaughters but I really couldnt get into it at all and that's unusual for me especially with a central figure that I am interested in. Maybe time for another go huh?!

Try it again, I tried many times to start it and gave up, when the final installment came out I gave it another go and just fell right into it, Thomas Cromwell is utterly fascinating in the book, you really grow to admire him and his tenacity, how amazing  to have a family link, for that reason alone you have to give it another shot!! Xxx

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

The latest Jodi Picoult but can't get into it....

I’ve read two of hers, both rubbish 

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

3 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I’ve read two of hers, both rubbish 

I loved my sisters keeper 

Edited by HappyHeart

30 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

The two I read were Vanishing Acts and Keeping Faith.  Both started really well with a great idea, but for me, they just got worse and worse the further  I read.  I couldn't finish Keeping Faith!

51 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Was that the one where the mum had a girl to get her kidney or something like that for the other sister.

I took my daughter to see the movie years ago which was interesting as i recall.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

It sounds like you are all reading great books so my current one seems a bit lame in comparison, mainly because it’s actually a kids book I think albeit for older kids. It’s very good though, it’s called The Clan of The Cave Bear. 

8 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

It sounds like you are all reading great books so my current one seems a bit lame in comparison, mainly because it’s actually a kids book I think albeit for older kids. It’s very good though, it’s called The Clan of The Cave Bear. 

A lot of young adult fiction is great. I loved The Fault in our Stars by John Green. Also read a few of my son's Michael Morpurgo books 

1 minute ago, HappyHeart said:

A lot of young adult fiction is great. I loved The Fault in our Stars by John Green. Also read a few of my son's Michael Morpurgo books 

My youngest son loved the Michael Morpurgo books. I shall take a look at the John Green one you mention. 

10 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

My youngest son loved the Michael Morpurgo books. I shall take a look at the John Green one you mention. 

It was made into a film. Both made me bawl my eyes out. Get plenty of tissues ready. 

I read a real mix of books, some good, some bad, plenty of thrillers, I enjoy books by Peter James, I like Jo Nesbo, Dervla McTierman and Robert Galbraith, all so very  different in their styles. I like books set in Africa and TM Clark writes good ones, she lived in Zimbabwe so knows what she is writing about. I’ve read and enjoyed Harry Potter books. 

I go to an unusual book group, open to everyone, but organised, so no one talks too long!  there can be between 11/19 there. We read any book we want to and then give a short synopsis. There is such an interesting mix of books every month. We often lend each other a book that is then commented about at the next meeting. I’ve read books that I would never had read otherwise. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ramot said:

I read a real mix of books, some good, some bad, plenty of thrillers, I enjoy books by Peter James, I like Jo Nesbo, Dervla McTierman and Robert Galbraith, all so very  different in their styles. I like books set in Africa and TM Clark writes good ones, she lived in Zimbabwe so knows what she is writing about. I’ve read and enjoyed Harry Potter books. 

I go to an unusual book group, open to everyone, but organised, so no one talks too long!  there can be between 11/19 there. We read any book we want to and then give a short synopsis. There is such an interesting mix of books every month. We often lend each other a book that is then commented about at the next meeting. I’ve read books that I would never had read otherwise. 

I've never read any of the Harry Potter books   ..............  tried to but gave up in the end.  Anything to do with fantasy and sci-fi just can't get into at all.

A non-fiction book I have on loan from a friend is The Anarchy -  the relentless rise of the East India Company by William Dalrymple.  Looks very interesting but I'm still only half way through the latest Robert Galbraith book.

45 minutes ago, Toots said:

I've never read any of the Harry Potter books   ..............  tried to but gave up in the end.  Anything to do with fantasy and sci-fi just can't get into at all.

A non-fiction book I have on loan from a friend is The Anarchy -  the relentless rise of the East India Company by William Dalrymple.  Looks very interesting but I'm still only half way through the latest Robert Galbraith book.

Saving the latest Galbraith for a wet week.

I saw the reference there to George Orwell's Animal Farm . 

Who recalls their high school years and their book reviews for the (now Year 10 or similar) English exams, in last semester?  From memory, and I am talking about times during the early 70's,  we were given a cluster of novels and we had to choose four books. Again, a fuzzy memory but I recall a number of books out of the cluster, some of which I have re-visited over  the years,  These included: 

Animal Farm - George  Orwell

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

The Day of the Triffids - ?

The Red Badge of Courage = ?

The Foreigner - Leo Walmsley

The Merchant of Venice - W. Shakespeare

Lord of the Flies - ?

Fang - Jack London

Etc

Etc

How is your memory?  Probably better than mine.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

I saw the reference there to George Orwell's Animal Farm . 

Who recalls their high school years and their book reviews for the (now Year 10 or similar) English exams, in last semester?  From memory, and I am talking about times during the early 70's,  we were given a cluster of novels and we had to choose four books. Again, a fuzzy memory but I recall a number of books out of the cluster, some of which I have re-visited over  the years,  These included: 

Animal Farm - George  Orwell

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

The Day of the Triffids - ?

The Red Badge of Courage = ?

The Foreigner - Leo Walmsley

The Merchant of Venice - W. Shakespeare

Lord of the Flies - ?

Fang - Jack London

Etc

Etc

How is your memory?  Probably better than mine.

I remember reading My Brother Jack and Scott of The Antarctic.

My Brother Jack is a good Aussie story.

I have a confession to make. In VCE instead of actually reading Macbeth I just bought the study guide. I still wrote the requisite essay no problems.

• Like 2

I want it all, and I want it now.

13 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

In that case, my choice was a bit lame too.  Jodie Picoult's books are just chick lit, even though she usually picks a social issue to include.  They're all the same - a woman with a child, something happens which leads to a long court case - which the woman wins, of course - and she'll have a romance along the way.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Hi All, hope it’s ok to add my suggestions to this thread?  I sometimes contribute to parents visa comments but love to read and am a member of a book club.  Three books we have read as a club this year which have been thoroughly enjoyed are “Where the Crawdads Sing” by Delia Owens, “A Gentleman in Moscow” by Amor Towles and “I am Pilgrim” by Terry Hayes.  I will be looking out for several of the books I’ve seen mentioned here.  Thanks all!

• Like 3

CPV 143 lodgement date 15/11/17

acknowledged & 1st VAC receipt  20/11/17

Heading for Tassie hopefully!

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

In that case, my choice was a bit lame too.  Jodie Picoult's books are just chick lit, even though she usually picks a social issue to include.  They're all the same - a woman with a child, something happens which leads to a long court case - which the woman wins, of course - and she'll have a romance along the way.

Hey! Don't knock.chick lit! It's never 'Just' anything. It takes skill to write a good yarn and I'm not averse to a bit of Marian Keyes.

I hate the snobbery around literature. Chick lit is my favourite genre I have to say. Escapism. Some authors think the more wordy the prose the more profound it is. I don't subscribe to that view. 

• Like 1