Phoenix16

What Book are you reading??

1 minute ago, Parley said:

Me too. I'm just about to start my third.

The first one was really good in the Anna Travis series as is the one I'm about to start.

I must say though I just finished Twisted and thought it was too predictable and a weak effort for her.

i didn't enjoy that one at all.  Some of her books are a bit hit and miss.  Her older books are better  .................  in my humble opinion.

• Like 3

It is usually obvious to me whether a book is written by a man or a woman.
How would you go on if a shemale wrote a book?
  • Haha 1

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

I've just started "I know why the caged birds sing" by Maya Angeleu

No one can tell you exactly what you have gotta be

You've got to stand your ground and fight to save your life

It may be hard but ooh ooh it's the only way

Always remembering there ain't no second prize

There ain't no second prize

Alas Babylon, by pat Frank.

It's a book I started once, then put it down because I didn't like the style. But I've picked it up again, and I'll try and stick with it.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

On 17/04/2020 at 05:31, ramot said:

01A067E1-D980-4D11-845B-87FACDA1F847.thumb.jpeg.fcdf72a2a73163c3619b87f86b0f43c1.jpeg

Oh, that is such a good book. Stick with it, you will really enjoy it.

On 17/04/2020 at 04:40, Parley said:

It is usually obvious to me whether a book is written by a man or a woman.

I read a book by a black man based in Birmingham once. But I didn't realize he was black until I had finished the book.

Before my eyes my mind coloured in all the characters I had created in my head. Then I challenged that, because who am I to assume the skin colour of the authors characters.

It was most bizarre and told me a lot about the preconceptions that I make, and was completely unaware that I make.

As for male or female, I can't even tell if a lot of people on here are male or female.

• Like 2

On 09/06/2019 at 07:10, simmo said:

Image result for fluke thermography book

That is a hot book!

• Haha 1

I read a book by a black man based in Birmingham once. But I didn't realize he was black until I had finished the book.
Before my eyes my mind coloured in all the characters I had created in my head. Then I challenged that, because who am I to assume the skin colour of the authors characters.
It was most bizarre and told me a lot about the preconceptions that I make, and was completely unaware that I make.
As for male or female, I can't even tell if a lot of people on here are male or female.
Totally agree Ma'am or Sir.........
  • Haha 2

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

The Fourth Turning, by Neil Howe.

IELTS : 13/08/16: W8 S8 L9 R9. F2w ID Check/Rcvd: 15/08/16, 23/08/16 HCPC/SoR CoGS sent: 23/08/16. Skills Ax sent/Rcvd/granted: 30/08/16, 12/09/16, 10/10/16. AHPRA sent/AIP : 05/09/16, 28/12/16. EoI/invited: 20/1/17, 01/02/17. 189 submitted: 06/02/17, Caseworker: 23/02/17. Medicals: 31/03/17. Grant: 12/04/17. Child 101 submitted: 09/06/17. Granted: 06/07/17. Landed: 01/09/17.

I've just started reading Troubled Blood.  This is the 5th book in the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith aka J K Rowling.  It's 927 pages long so it''ll keep me out of mischief for a wee while.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toots said:

I've just started reading Troubled Blood.  This is the 5th book in the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith aka J K Rowling.  It's 927 pages long so it''ll keep me out of mischief for a wee while.

Just finished it.  My preference is for audio books because I walk a lot - I loved it, didnt want to stop walking so my figures were well up for the 36 hours the book took to "read".  Robert Glenister is one of the best narrators I've ever had the pleasure to listen to.  Currently on Ann Cleeves' The Crow Trap and that's making me want to walk too but only 12 hours worth.  No idea what happens in 4 hours time when I have finished it! 

• Like 4

On 17/04/2020 at 19:55, Phoenix16 said:

I’ve had Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel on my shelf for a good 9 years, I stated it a few days ago and have to say I can’t put it down, I’m really enjoying it.

I've started that one a few times, mainly because Thomas Cromwell is an ancestor uncle of my granddaughters but I really couldnt get into it at all and that's unusual for me especially with a central figure that I am interested in. Maybe time for another go huh?!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Just finished it.  My preference is for audio books because I walk a lot - I loved it, didnt want to stop walking so my figures were well up for the 36 hours the book took to "read".  Robert Glenister is one of the best narrators I've ever had the pleasure to listen to.  Currently on Ann Cleeves' The Crow Trap and that's making me want to walk too but only 12 hours worth.  No idea what happens in 4 hours time when I have finished it! 

I've just finished reading Ann Cleeves latest 'Vera' book, "The Darkest Evening".  All her Vera books are great and this latest one gives a bit more detail about the relationship between Vera and her father.  I'd use an audio book but I always take our dog with me when out walking and as he is a hunter (and a killer) with lots of rabbits about I have to have my wits about me and concentrate on what the wee bugger is up to.

30 minutes ago, Toots said:

I've just finished reading Ann Cleeves latest 'Vera' book, "The Darkest Evening".  All her Vera books are great and this latest one gives a bit more detail about the relationship between Vera and her father.  I'd use an audio book but I always take our dog with me when out walking and as he is a hunter (and a killer) with lots of rabbits about I have to have my wits about me and concentrate on what the wee bugger is up to.

Ah, recently finished that one too!  I’ve enjoyed all her books. I think if I were to take either one of my son’s dogs out I wouldn’t be able to concentrate on an audio book either! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

I've just finished reading The Crow Trap.  It's only the second Anne Cleaves book I've read but I think I'll check out more of her books.  I like a good (or even bad) crime drama although my normal reading preference is fantasy or science fiction.  I will read pretty much anything though.  I'm currently reading Astra by Naomi Foyle.

• Like 2

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

I have just read "The French Photographer" by Natasha Lester, who is a West Australian Author.   The book is set in New York, France and Australia, starts in 1942 and spans through to 2005, and is a story about people and connections they have to each other through love.   It was a well written book with a brilliant storyline that kept me turning the pages.   I enjoyed it so much I have today purchased "The Paris Secret" by the same author.   The story is set in England, Paris, and Australia and tells a story of a female pilot during the war, who work for the Special Operations Group as a spy in France during the war.   Lots of secrets and family issues, and the connection between an Australian fashion conservator and The House of Christian Dior.   Looking forward to starting it tonight.

• Like 2

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

Just read ‘The Beautiful Mother’ by Katherine Scholes. Set in a remote part of Tanzania in 1970, Essie Lawrence lives With her husband and mother in law in an archaeologists camp. The Lawrence family have run the camp for many years. Essie is handed an orphaned baby from the nomadic  Hadza tribe to care for until the rains come.

i really enjoyed the book and it poses many questions,, not least, will Essie be able to give the baby back, where is home if you move around all the time, what is your tribe if your family is scattered,, family dynamics.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Toots said:

Is Vera the same in the book as she is in the TV series?   

I've seen bits of the Vera series on TV and don't like it, because I find the character of Vera totally unbelievable.    I simply can't believe the Vera in the TV series would ever have reached that rank - because there are politics in the police just like anywhere else.  She'd need to have played the game of dressing smartly, doing her hair etc, at least in her early days - and it would have become a habit by the time she gets to the top.  

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Today I just finished a Johnathan Kellerman novel featuring Alez Delaware the psychologist.

My mum was an avid reader of crime novels and I'm slowly working through books of hers since she passed away.

Reading is good when you have the time. 

• Like 4

I want it all, and I want it now.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Is Vera the same in the book as she is in the TV series?   

I've seen bits of the Vera series on TV and don't like it, because I find the character of Vera totally unbelievable.    I simply can't believe the Vera in the TV series would ever have reached that rank - because there are politics in the police just like anywhere else.  She'd need to have played the game of dressing smartly, doing her hair etc, at least in her early days - and it would have become a habit by the time she gets to the top.  

I enjoyed watching Vera on TV too but the books are better.  Did you ever read John Rankin's Rebus series or watch it on TV?  Rebus is set in Edinburgh and Detective Inspector John Rebus is a scruffy, heavy smoker and heavy drinker.  He managed to reached a fairly high rank in the force so why not Vera.  😉  It's just good entertainment   ............  so much better than most of the American rubbish.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Parley said:

Today I just finished a Johnathan Kellerman novel featuring Alez Delaware the psychologist.

My mum was an avid reader of crime novels and I'm slowly working through books of hers since she passed away.

Reading is good when you have the time. 

I have read most of Jonathan Kellerman's books and also his wife Faye Kellerman's too.  Their son is also a writer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toots said:

I enjoyed watching Vera on TV too but the books are better.  Did you ever read John Rankin's Rebus series or watch it on TV?  Rebus is set in Edinburgh and Detective Inspector John Rebus is a scruffy, heavy smoker and heavy drinker.  He managed to reached a fairly high rank in the force so why not Vera.  😉  It's just good entertainment   ............  so much better than most of the American rubbish.

Being a Geordie I love Vera 😀 (although some of the fake accents make me cringe),  I haven't read the books yet but planning too (as well as Shetland)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Toots said:

Have they done a couple of tv series based on this book “strike “ ? 

9 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

Being a Geordie I love Vera 😀 (although some of the fake accents make me cringe),  I haven't read the books yet but planning too (as well as Shetland)

Years ago there was a good series on TV "Our Friends In The North" about four friends in Newcastle and all their trials and tribulations over a period of about 30 years.  One of the friends was a young Daniel Craig (James Bond).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Have they done a couple of tv series based on this book “strike “ ? 

Yes they have.  I enjoyed the ones I've seen but the books are better.

• Like 2