Phoenix16

What Book are you reading??

9 hours ago, Toots said:

m j arlidge.jpg

I've read all the M.J. Arlidge books about DI Helen Grace, a cop in Southampton UK  I think this one is the 10th in the series.  All good reads, if a bit on the gory side.

Thought I might give her a try and was going to start with the first one but the sample is written in the present tense. Are they present tense throughout because I just can't read them (listen!) if they are, it irritates me too much!!!  

Currently on the Tarnished Chalice by  Susannah Gregory, set in my home town! 

• Like 2

On 13/09/2022 at 01:50, Ruth1 said:

I am a book lover and usually buy 2-3 new books per month in the UK. I was really shocked however to see the prices of books in Aus when I was doing a bit of research and it made me think I either need to stock up before I come, or cut down. Am I missing any hidden secret cheap places to buy books in Aus (new not used)

Books are expensive if purchased through book sellers. Often $16 is the cost of a second hand book here in Perth. I tend to get mine through free 'little libraries'  in my area, where people put in many 'new' books on a regular basis or indeed library books being taken off shelfs and sold for a dollar or even free. I've acquired some great stuff through both means. I speak about WA though. No idea if other states do the same, but expect they would. 

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

Books are expensive if purchased through book sellers. Often $16 is the cost of a second hand book here in Perth. I tend to get mine through free 'little libraries'  in my area, where people put in many 'new' books on a regular basis or indeed library books being taken off shelfs and sold for a dollar or even free. I've acquired some great stuff through both means. I speak about WA though. No idea if other states do the same, but expect they would. 

Those little libraries are here too.  Aren't they a great idea?  There is one in the street next to us which is very handy and yes, I've taken and given back to it regularly.

Here is the one in the nearby small town of Penguin.

little library.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Quoll said:

Thought I might give her a try and was going to start with the first one but the sample is written in the present tense. Are they present tense throughout because I just can't read them (listen!) if they are, it irritates me too much!!!  

Currently on the Tarnished Chalice by  Susannah Gregory, set in my home town! 

I can't say I really notice if a book is written in the present sense or not.  I do remember you said previously that it annoys you.  Shame because the Helen Grace books are a good read.

Have you read any of Ellis Peter's Cadfael Chronicles set in the 12th century about a monk who investigates and solves murders?

2 hours ago, Toots said:

I can't say I really notice if a book is written in the present sense or not.  I do remember you said previously that it annoys you.  Shame because the Helen Grace books are a good read.

Have you read any of Ellis Peter's Cadfael Chronicles set in the 12th century about a monk who investigates and solves murders?

Oh yes, read all the Cadfael novels and just finished the latest Reacher novel - it was OK but not up to the original Lee Child standards.

8 hours ago, Quoll said:

Oh yes, read all the Cadfael novels and just finished the latest Reacher novel - it was OK but not up to the original Lee Child standards.

Agreed on Reacher. I enjoyed it but it’s not like the earlier ones. I note his brother is a co author on this one.  Perhaps that is why???

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

37 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Agreed on Reacher. I enjoyed it but it’s not like the earlier ones. I note his brother is a co author on this one.  Perhaps that is why???

Lee Child retired and his brother has taken over writing the Reacher books

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

4 hours ago, Parley said:

Lee Child retired and his brother has taken over writing the Reacher books

they are so easy, a computer could write..machine learninging.  Same story, different t shirt....26 times now like roundbout !  Even he is so bored to write another.

Just finished reading this one.  She comes from a family of strong and interesting women.  Good read.

grace tame.jpg

• Like 1