You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

ali

Need ideas for a starter for dinner

Daughters birthday coming up and we do a family meal.  She want's fish for the main course and that's been easy.

For the starter, my fall back if I can't think of anything else will be to make a soup - but because I make them all the time I was trying to think of something else and got a bit stuck.

Looking for ideas that don't contain cheese (daughter), Mushrooms (son) 

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

For 4 people

4 tomatoes

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teasp chilli sauce

pinch celery salt

2 ripe avocados - halved and stoned 

8 stuffed green olives

Blitz tomatoes, W sauce, salt, chilli sauce.  Spoon into avocado halves.  Top with olives.  Eat with a spoon

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Toots said:

For 4 people

4 tomatoes

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teasp chilli sauce

pinch celery salt

2 ripe avocados - halved and stoned 

8 stuffed green olives

Blitz tomatoes, W sauce, salt, chilli sauce.  Spoon into avocado halves.  Top with olives.  Eat with a spoon

I'm doing a cherry tomato sauce with the fish - but will save this one for another time.

• Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

58 minutes ago, simmo said:

Prawn cocktail

I thought of that - but having a fish main.

6 minutes ago, ali said:

I thought of that - but having a fish main.

spring rolls 

I had tempura prawns for my starter yesterday 4x big prawns for a starter!!  Good job I only  had Thai beef salad for main.  Very nice though.

satay ?   Are you having a "theme" or a mish mash?

• Like 1

Pumpkin and Chorizo Soup with Cilantro 

Cooking and preparation time: 1 hour

Ingredients
½ a pumpkin – approx 1kg 
1 white onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1.2 litres (2 pints) vegetable stock
150ml (¼ pint) double cream
salt and black pepper
100g (3½oz) good-quality chorizo
1 tbsp sherry vinegar

• Like 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

57 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

Ingredients
½ a pumpkin – approx 1kg 
1 white onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
4 garlic cloves, crushed
salt and black pepper
1 tbsp sherry vinegar

I find soups like that too filling for a starter.  That on its own with some rustic bread would be a full meal for me.

Being from Yorkshire, I would suggest a big fat Yorkie pud with the richest yummy gravy.... it was designed to make you so full you didn’t want a main and I have to say when we do it here we’re so stuffed we do tend to abandon the rest of the dinner😂😂

• Like 2

Sorry I can’t help I’m useless at starters, would probably buy a good pate with thin toast. However I love making puddings so happy to help if ever needed!! 

Have a great birthday get together.

• Like 2

I have done this started many times over many years, so easy and lovely. You do shave a little Parmesan over it but just don’t on your daughters plate. 

Bag of salad leaves with rocket in, bottle of drizzling balsamic vinegar,  block of Parmesan cheese, a small gala melon or honey dew ok, pack of Parma ham, loaf of ciabatta bread.

cut and lightly toast the bread (1 slice per person), lightly butter and put on individual side plates. Scatter the salad leaves over the top then arrange ham in the middle and shave a bit of Parmesan over.  If you have a melon baller then scoop out the melon or little slices will be fine and arrange on the plate around the toast. To finish, drizzle over some balsamic vinegar, not enough to drown it, just to taste.  It takes just a few minutes, it’s not heavy and it’s lovely 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I have done this started many times over many years, so easy and lovely. You do shave a little Parmesan over it but just don’t on your daughters plate. 

Bag of salad leaves with rocket in, bottle of drizzling balsamic vinegar,  block of Parmesan cheese, a small gala melon or honey dew ok, pack of Parma ham, loaf of ciabatta bread.

cut and lightly toast the bread (1 slice per person), lightly butter and put on individual side plates. Scatter the salad leaves over the top then arrange ham in the middle and shave a bit of Parmesan over.  If you have a melon baller then scoop out the melon or little slices will be fine and arrange on the plate around the toast. To finish, drizzle over some balsamic vinegar, not enough to drown it, just to taste.  It takes just a few minutes, it’s not heavy and it’s lovely 

I would pick that off the menu

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Ingredients
½ a pumpkin – approx 1kg 
1 white onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
4 garlic cloves, crushed
salt and black pepper
1 tbsp sherry vinegar

daughters boyfriend doesn't like pumpkin .. but I like the recipe.  Not sure I've seen sherry vinegar (but not looked).

8 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I like this one, thanks Tulip (I do have a melon baller) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, simmo said:

I had tempura prawns for my starter yesterday 4x big prawns for a starter!!  Good job I only  had Thai beef salad for main.  Very nice though.

satay ?   Are you having a "theme" or a mish mash?

Probably a mish mash - birthday cake is dessert.

12 hours ago, simmo said:

I find soups like that too filling for a starter.  That on its own with some rustic bread would be a full meal for me.

Who asked you 🤬

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Thanks all .. I've taken note of a couple of the recipes and am going to do the melon/ham salad for the starter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ali said:

Thanks all .. I've taken note of a couple of the recipes and am going to do the melon/ham salad for the starter

Good choice.

(pumpkin and chorizo soup indeed....)

8 hours ago, ali said:

daughters boyfriend doesn't like pumpkin .. but I like the recipe.  Not sure I've seen sherry vinegar (but not looked).

The IGA on Farrington Rd near you sometimes have sherry vinegar Ali.

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

Asparagus spears wrapped in Proscuito, with cherry tomatoes, all dotted with butter, salt and pepper and baked in the oven for 15mins.   Served on a bed of wilted spinach with cooking juices poured over.  Family fave for us, and those of us who like cheese sprinkle the top with freshly grated Parmesan. 

Happy Birthday to your daughter....

• Like 1

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

22 hours ago, Phoenix16 said:

Being from Yorkshire, I would suggest a big fat Yorkie pud with the richest yummy gravy.... it was designed to make you so full you didn’t want a main and I have to say when we do it here we’re so stuffed we do tend to abandon the rest of the dinner😂😂

Oh yes a Yorkshire pud - you can't go wrong! Question though Yorkshire pudding with Xmas dinner yay or nay? My husband is adamant we should have it at Xmas but my family never did. 

Starter ideas - I'm a big fan of mezze, cured meats, olives etc. then people can get as little or as much as they like. Also Japanese Gyozas with dipping sauce are popular easy choice, or go back to basics with a good old prawn cocktail 🙂

14 hours ago, Rossmoyne said:

The IGA on Farrington Rd near you sometimes have sherry vinegar Ali.

I'll look out that that Rossy - they usually have some lovely oils and relishes.  A bit more expensive, but the truffle oil has lasted ages.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rossmoyne said:

Asparagus spears wrapped in Proscuito, with cherry tomatoes, all dotted with butter, salt and pepper and baked in the oven for 15mins.   Served on a bed of wilted spinach with cooking juices poured over.  Family fave for us, and those of us who like cheese sprinkle the top with freshly grated Parmesan. 

Happy Birthday to your daughter....

The sauce for the fish is cherry tomatoes and the request for the birthday girl is Asparagus on the side.

I can't serve anything with a butter sauce/dressing because of the hubby.