Metal fabricator technical interview

Lavers

So I've just finished my technical interview and I though I'd pass on what to expect.

Like everyone says it's very informal and it's just like your having a chat with someone at work. If there's areas your stuck on they help you best you can to give an answer.

So questions they asked where:

*Give measurements off a drawing on screen.

*Name tools on screen ie. Tape measure, rule and vernier  (tricky).

*Talk about mechanical tools you use, with correct PPE and also what checks you do before using.

*Talk about what parts you need to set up The,Mig and stick welding sets.

* What gases you use for each and different tungsten for the ie. Red & Grey.

* Shown me a couple of weld symbols and asked what they where.

* What first aid and quality procedures your company has.

*What's on a WPS sheet and also COSSH.

Bit gutted they didn't ask about pattern development as I've been brushing up on it over the last few days.

All in all it took 1hr 10min as if you'd answered things in another question he'd skip a few.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Lavers

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Lavers,

Finally my Skill Assessment successful...my interview results +ve and received successful Skill Assessment with Level-III Engineering Certificate.

Your questions really helped me to prepare for the interview. And you are right, if anyone in his or her trade for while, then nothing to worry about.

Here, I am sharing two files that I have prepared during my preparation and added some questions in the slide which the interviewer asked.

Some other related question also asked that i felt easy and did not added in the slide. Such as Weld Symbol and basic safety related questions.

All the questions they will ask from each group of Units; 1) Core Units; 2) Engineering Operations; 3) Welding; 4) Fabrication; 5) NC/CNC Machining.

All it took 1hr 50min for my interview over Skype video conference around.

Hope any future candidate for Metal Fabricator - ANZSCO 322311 will get help from this post.

Metal Fabricator - Interview Preparation - Tools Name & Related Questions.pdf

Trade Units - Metal Fabricator - Australian Standards.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello enam

I have technical interview for welder first class, most of the unit are same as your trade, Core Units; 2) Engineering Operations; 3) Welding; 4) Fabrication; 

What questions they asked you from above unit, specially from welding and fabrication unit

4 hours ago, Abal said:

Hello enam

I have technical interview for welder first class, most of the unit are same as your trade, Core Units; 2) Engineering Operations; 3) Welding; 4) Fabrication; 

What questions they asked you from above unit, specially from welding and fabrication unit

@Enam

6 hours ago, Abal said:

Hi Abal

Things they can ask you on the welding side are:

* Different tungstens for Tig welding.

* Different wire sizes for Mig & Tig welding.

* They will show weld symbols and ask what they are.

* Oxy & acetlyn questions about a cutting flame and heating flame.

* Show you diagrams of different welding sets and ask you what things are.

* They will show you a drawing and ask you to find measurements and ask how you would make it.

1 minute ago, Abal said:

Thanks @Lavers, i have trade qualification after that 3 year work experience, when applying Point test advice from TRA, did they diduct any year from my experience? 

Not sure on that one I think that they only count experience after you are qualified.

I have 17yrs experience after my apprenticeship so nothing to worry about.

Just now, Abal said:

How is the interview? Because i am working with only arc welding? Can i prepare from above pdf file?

Yeah what enam attached looks pretty good.

You've nothing to worry about, the instructor isn't trying fail you and it's just like talking to someone at work.

If you're struggling he will help you slightly along the way.

He asked me what pressures the gas bottles are when welding with mig and I just said that didnt know as I just adjusted them as i went along.

14 hours ago, Abal said:

@LaversHow  difficult is the interview? Because i am working with only arc welding? Can i prepare from above pdf file? Qualified means after qualification? 

Long time since I retired but in general stick ( smaw) would be DC + ve for low hydrogen ,sometimes DC -ve for root work.

7016 ( Kobe rods) for root work and 7018 for fill and cap.

GP and iron powder are AC,DC is too hot for them on positive.

Zirconiated tungstens for AC work on TIG ( aluminium).Think of the name Zac.Thoriated obviously for DC ( - ve).  2/3 of the heat is on the positive pole,1/3 on the negative.

USA works the opposite way to the UK for straight /reverse polarity,very confusing on the old Lincoln machines where they are marked straight or reverse,not +ve or -ve.

MIG/MAG would be electrode positive,running argomix 80/20 for mild steel,I think it is called migshield now.When I started many decades ago CO2 was the only gas.That is deep penetrating,whereas argomix is smoother and better wetting on the toes of the weld 

FCAW also positive pole,some wires do run negative,rarely used.

Procedures will give details anyway.

Depends how high you want to go,I had City and Guilds and Technicians in the UK,and Cert 10 pressure vessel supervisors here and NDT certs.

Tried to forget everything once I retired 

Shouldn' t be too difficult.

When I came here I had ASME 9 6G and 6GR for stick and TIG way back in the 1970s.They just looked at trade papers and where you served your time then.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Abal said:

@Lavers thanks for your answer, for stage 1 for vetassess welder assessment, does it trade syllabus and work photograph compulsory or optional?

It probably depends on how much evidence you have certificate wise.

I had certificates which covered most of my units, apart from using CNC machines so I filmed myself using a CNC press brake and uploaded that.

If you are struggling for evidence for some units then videos or photos may be the best option.

Im not sure, I suppose it depends on how much evidence you can provide.

I would guess that if you are missing a lot of the units then they may just reject it, but if you are only a few short then they may just ask for more evidence.

Each unit is worth so many points and you have to score so many points to pass, im not sure though if that is for stage 1 or stage 2.

• 2 months later...
On 14/12/2019 at 11:51, Lavers said:

Im not sure, I suppose it depends on how much evidence you can provide.

I would guess that if you are missing a lot of the units then they may just reject it, but if you are only a few short then they may just ask for more evidence.

Each unit is worth so many points and you have to score so many points to pass, im not sure though if that is for stage 1 or stage 2.

Dear can you please tell me what type of evidence to provide for units of competency means how to demonstrate, any format or table or competence report explaining these sets of skills or experience because I have skills and knowledge for most of the units but how to demonstrate that’s the problem. Can you please share your experience for stage 1. Thanks 

Hi Haris sorry for the late reply I have had loads on.

I passed it ok so what I did must have been acceptable haha

You can print of a spreadsheet showing all the units which you must cover, then all the evidence I had (certificates, references etc) I gave a number to them.

I then logged each number into my spreadsheet so that they knew where the evidence for the unit was.

I sent them all my evidence with the spreadsheet.

I hope this makes sense

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 29/02/2020 at 11:38, Lavers said:

Haris

I also had to send them my end of year tax reports and wage slips, send your tax reports for the last 8 - 10yrs.

Dear what about qualification points in EOI whether we can claim 15 points or 10 points as a welder bcz I have vocational diploma.