Visa granted! What to do next?

SarahL

Our visas have finally been granted after a year and a half since starting the process! Wahoo!

Anyway I’m wondering if anyone has a list of things to do before and after arriving in Australia? Please feel free to direct me to another post as I’m guessing this has been covered before!!

Thanks in advance for your help. The advice given on this forum was a huge help and the reason I felt confident that I could complete our (relatively uncomplicated) visa application independently. 🙏

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 3

18 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

What visa do you have? Also what nationality are you?

189 and British 😊 If you are asking to get an idea of processing time then ours was a bit delayed due to having a newborn to add to our application. Visa lodged in May, co contact for medicals etc in August, baby born September and added to application, medicals and police checks completed in Dec. 

Edited by SarahL

22 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

It is very much up to you. You all have to make first entry by the first entry date, but this doesn't have to be the date you move. You have five years from grant to make the permanent move. But, the later you leave it there are issues creeping in. 

I should have said that we are planning on going over in September so I was trying to think about all the things we need to get done by then eg open bank accounts etc. I like to be prepared so I know what we can sort out while we are still in the UK and what needs to be done when we arrive. 

6 minutes ago, Captain_Tor said:

Congratulations! I guess it's time to make lots of to do lists 🤣

Out of interest what is it you and you other half do for jobs? 

Thanks. 😊 Yep, I’m hoping people can help me add to those lists as I don’t want to miss anything!

We are both secondary school teachers. Well I was before we had kids but I am hoping to return to it in a couple of years. 

Some of the things I have done in preparation for the move are getting copies of all our immunization records. I got new prescription glasses and contact lenses, so I have a few years before I have to do it again. Open an Australian bank account before you go and deposit money.  Get your paper work together to help secure a rental, bank statements, references etc.  Then there's the obvious, decide when you want to leave and arrange any shipping and flights and a temporary place to stay. 

Congratulations on the grant!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SarahL said:

Thanks. 😊 Yep, I’m hoping people can help me add to those lists as I don’t want to miss anything!

We are both secondary school teachers. Well I was before we had kids but I am hoping to return to it in a couple of years. 

Aw fantastic,  I suppose next steps are to look into areas to live in, secure jobs (if you haven't done already), sign up to some agencies. Do as much research as possible, shipping costs etc. 

I haven't emigrated yet so I suppose I haven't got much I can add, but good luck! 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jenki75 said:

Some of the things I have done in preparation for the move are getting copies of all our immunization records. I got new prescription glasses and contact lenses, so I have a few years before I have to do it again. Open an Australian bank account before you go and deposit money.  Get your paper work together to help secure a rental, bank statements, references etc.  Then there's the obvious, decide when you want to leave and arrange any shipping and flights and a temporary place to stay. 

Congratulations on the grant!

Hadn’t thought of getting a record of our immunisations so I’ll add that one thanks 😊 

When you open a bank account in UK with an Aussie bank, ask the, to open a GBP foreign transaction account to sit alongside your Aussie one. We did and we pay zero transfer fees on international transfers, and it's so much easier than dealing with Transferwise, or wondering how family will send money to put into baby's bank acc etc.

where in Aus you headed?

21 hours ago, SarahL said:

Our visas have finally been granted after a year and a half since starting the process! Wahoo!

Anyway I’m wondering if anyone has a list of things to do before and after arriving in Australia? Please feel free to direct me to another post as I’m guessing this has been covered before!!

Thanks in advance for your help. The advice given on this forum was a huge help and the reason I felt confident that I could complete our (relatively uncomplicated) visa application independently. 🙏

Party time. Enjoy the build up to departure!

• Like 2

Thanks. [emoji4] Yep, I’m hoping people can help me add to those lists as I don’t want to miss anything!

Registering with the state teaching board now would prevent delays when looking for jobs in Aus
  • Thanks 1

Don't forget to notify UK agencies that you're leave e.g. if you get any family benefits etc.

Register with the Education board

Stop utilities

Try some Aussie wines and just relax and don't get too stressed - it will all come together.

• Thanks 1

On 07/02/2019 at 05:38, VERYSTORMY said:

If you are taking any animals, you need to commence this very soon. 

No pets so no problem there but good advice for anyone that refers to this later on. 

On 07/02/2019 at 10:02, Beffers said:

When you open a bank account in UK with an Aussie bank, ask the, to open a GBP foreign transaction account to sit alongside your Aussie one. We did and we pay zero transfer fees on international transfers, and it's so much easier than dealing with Transferwise, or wondering how family will send money to put into baby's bank acc etc.

where in Aus you headed?

Good to know thanks. Which bank did you go with? We are moving to Perth.  

1 hour ago, Joesline said:

Just wondering.. will you guys travel to Australia and recce before you made the final move?

We visited during July/August 2017 as my husband had never been to Perth before and we wanted to be sure it was right for us.

Hi Sarah 

We are hoping to head out a similar time, also to Perth as its seems a great place to raise a family!

I don't have any great advice as we're at a similar stage but we've decided to open a hsbc account so we can transfer money when the exchange rate is good, and starting to clear the house now as we have accumulated so much stuff! 

Great question by the way, and love the suggestion about eye tests, I didnt think of that! X

• Like 1