Getting enough points

Brianm93

Hi, I’m hoping to apply for the 189 visa this year. I will be the main applicant and I’ll be adding my girlfriend and toddler on with me. After using the points calculator I only manage to get 50 points, so I’m going to need to do well in the English test.

I’m worried that I won’t achieve the score I need. Is it possible for my girlfriend to also sit the test and gain more points for the visa or would it just be based on me? 

Also, what English test is the easiest?

thanks

Brian

Hi Brian, 

It will have to be you who’s sits the English test as you are the main applicant. Your GF Is required to fulfil her English language requirements also. I think she can use her UK passport for this unless it has changed since I applied. I’m sure someone will come along to correct me if I’m wrong. 

I sat the IELTS twice to get a superior score. Missed it by 0.5 the first time. These tests were not easy even for me as a British born, bred & taught in English person! So plenty of practice is advised! Although I only used the online material available and did not purchase any additional. I can not comment on other tests but I’m sure there are others that can help. Also I think there is a thread related to this somewhere 🤔

Hope this helps. 

Sara

Hello Brian, 

I sat IELTS the first time and missed by 0.5 in the writing section. So i thought of giving PTE a shot and i scored 87 which gave me the 20 points. So i would suggest you do a thorough research on this and decide which test to sit. I think the below link can also help you. 

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/171260-ielts-vs-pearson-test-of-english-academic-pte-academic-my-personal-findings/

All the best with your exam and application. 

Sonia

1 hour ago, Brianm93 said:

Hi, I’m hoping to apply for the 189 visa this year. I will be the main applicant and I’ll be adding my girlfriend and toddler on with me. After using the points calculator I only manage to get 50 points, so I’m going to need to do well in the English test.

I’m worried that I won’t achieve the score I need. Is it possible for my girlfriend to also sit the test and gain more points for the visa or would it just be based on me? 

Also, what English test is the easiest?

thanks

Brian

My husband (the main applicant) scored full mark with below link to study for his PTE Academic:- 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvSdD8_0DAKn-ThHWhAhoAg

Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, Sara8 said:

Hi Brian, 

It will have to be you who’s sits the English test as you are the main applicant. Your GF Is required to fulfil her English language requirements also. I think she can use her UK passport for this unless it has changed since I applied. I’m sure someone will come along to correct me if I’m wrong. 

I sat the IELTS twice to get a superior score. Missed it by 0.5 the first time. These tests were not easy even for me as a British born, bred & taught in English person! So plenty of practice is advised! Although I only used the online material available and did not purchase any additional. I can not comment on other tests but I’m sure there are others that can help. Also I think there is a thread related to this somewhere 🤔

Hope this helps. 

Sara

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I think you’re right. I’m thinking about sitting the Pearson’s test so going to get studying for that. I'm from Glasgow with quite a harsh accent so hope this doesn’t trip me up on the speaking part of the test haha! 

2 hours ago, SoniaG said:

Hello Brian, 

I sat IELTS the first time and missed by 0.5 in the writing section. So i thought of giving PTE a shot and i scored 87 which gave me the 20 points. So i would suggest you do a thorough research on this and decide which test to sit. I think the below link can also help you. 

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/171260-ielts-vs-pearson-test-of-english-academic-pte-academic-my-personal-findings/

All the best with your exam and application. 

Sonia

Hi Sonia thanks for the reply. I’ve decided the Pearson test is probably the one I’m going to try, time to get practicing! 

I did ielts and got the highest marks in all sections except on the speaking part, I got a ridiculously low score - I’m Scottish too. I sat the test in Exeter and I’m sure my accent ruined it for me! When I did it again, it was in Australia and again speaking was an issue so for the third time I spoke really slow with a bit of an English twang and got perfect marks it lol they told me as the speaking part was the only one I was having issues with I should have asked for it to be re marked but was quicker for me to just do it again and try to speak proper England! Good luck 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xxlornaxx said:

I did ielts and got the highest marks in all sections except on the speaking part, I got a ridiculously low score - I’m Scottish too. I sat the test in Exeter and I’m sure my accent ruined it for me! When I did it again, it was in Australia and again speaking was an issue so for the third time I spoke really slow with a bit of an English twang and got perfect marks it lol they told me as the speaking part was the only one I was having issues with I should have asked for it to be re marked but was quicker for me to just do it again and try to speak proper England! Good luck 

Aye I was thinking about putting on a bit of  an English accent actually, it can only help😂 cheers, I’ll definitely need it!