Aesthetic nurses

PenClaire

Goid morning.  I am a qualified and registered British nurse. I am also qualified and practice as a non-surgical aesthetic nurse (botoxcetc) & have a clinic here in UK. I am registeredwith the NMC and have all appropriate regulsted training required. 

I am now training to be an independent nurse prescriber , which is allowed here in UK. Is anyone aware of the requirements to practice as an aesthetic nurse in Australia?  Can nurses prescribe (with limitations ) in Oz?

Thank you very much in advance - if you are able to shed light on the subject!  

You have to be an RN and then you do the additional training/diploma like the UK, don’t know if the UK training is transferable but lots of jobs advertised so you could email one and ask? I have a friend who does it but I don’t know that much about it. 

Aus doesn’t have the nurse prescriber course but they have nurse practitioners who can prescribe and they have completed their masters specifically in the nurse practitioner thing! A lot longer and more hoops to jump through than the UK way of doing it. Nurse prescriber in UK won’t tranfer to Aus.

• Thanks 1

Xxlornaxx

Thank you very much.  I already have a Masters (MSc) , but not specifically for prescribing.  The difference here in UK is that to be allowed to complete the prescribing V300 course, you have to be at level 7 anyway. It's a massive slog to have to  do yet another 3 years, and a waste of my UK qualification if I can't use it in Australia! 

Thank you for your good advice.  I will ask those working as aesthetic nurses. xx

5 minutes ago, shaunfreo said:

It’s very different in each state 

and I am thinking you you meant anaesthetic , aesthetic means something very different , the peril of predictive text

No she definitely means aesthetic as she mentions Botox treatment.  Very popular these days apparently!  See "Real Housewives of a Vacuous Hell near you" or whatever it is called.

• Haha 1

Whatever you hope to achieve you need a visa to come to Australia and as a nurse you need to be degree qualified, get a positive skill assessment,  apply for registration with AHPRA , then if you can do that perhaps you may get a job as an aesthetic nurse but until you have registration as a nurse the rest is irrelevant 

Edited by shaunfreo

You really shouldnt bother with trying to get employment in Oz,there have been so many recent tv news stories scaring people off high street shonky salons that offer cosmetic surgery.

A few owners have been taken to court because they are not qualified,and their customers have sued.

If you are a registered NHS UK nurse,please ignore any of the above,I expect you would not have to work in these type of places.!

Edited by the gardener

Thank you everyone. Your thoughts are helpful. 

I am lucky enough to have dual nationality, so that aspect of working is easier for me. I also have both an undergraduate and post graduate degree , & am registered with all appropriate UK organizations / boards.

My aesthetic practice here in UK is strictly governed and totally above board. All procedures are regulated by the NMC / CQC etc. I'd hope to work as ethically and carefully in Australia.

Just as you've mentioned happening in Oz, we do have unqualified charletons here, who offer treatments using illegally sourced medication / products from China or somesuch country. Ironically,  because they are not medically registered,  they can get away with it, and damage a lot of people to boot! It is a ridiculous situation. 

• 9 months later...

Hi Pen Claire

I am a UK RN and held the V300 qualification, also working in Aesthetics. I am now an RN in Australia and inquiring with AHPRA whether the V300 can transfer over. Did you find any further information?

If you are still looking at moving over here, feel free to reach out and I may be able to help with networking etc. 

Emma

6 hours ago, Emma Chee said:

Hi Pen Claire

I am a UK RN and held the V300 qualification, also working in Aesthetics. I am now an RN in Australia and inquiring with AHPRA whether the V300 can transfer over. Did you find any further information?

If you are still looking at moving over here, feel free to reach out and I may be able to help with networking etc. 

Emma

Hello Emma. Thank you for your message. I would love to be in touch.

I have my one way flight booked and arrive in Australia on 16th January 2020! So all very exciting and a daunting amount of things to do in the next 50 days. 

Nearly ready to submit my AHPRA form. Just finalising a few bits and pieces. 

Take care and looking forward to chatting and updating re V300 etc.

Penny

35 minutes ago, Penny Claire said:

Hello Emma. Thank you for your message. I would love to be in touch.

I have my one way flight booked and arrive in Australia on 16th January 2020! So all very exciting and a daunting amount of things to do in the next 50 days. 

Nearly ready to submit my AHPRA form. Just finalising a few bits and pieces. 

Take care and looking forward to chatting and updating re V300 etc.

Penny

What visa are you arriving on?