Switching to Defacto Partner Visa from a 457 - can I cancel the 457 bit?

BarryCowdrill

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help?

I'm currently on a 457 visa, which runs out in September 2019. I am just about to lodge my defacto partner visa application forms - no issues with that as we've been together for 3 years and are now married etc. However, I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge or had been in a similar situation.

I really hate where I work and would love it if I could lodge my application, get the bridging visa, cancel my 457 and quit my place to find another job - all without having to leave the country. So - does anyone know if it is possible to request that your current 457 visa be cancelled and then go straight on to the bridging visa, whilst our partner visa application is processed?

Otherwise I will just have to wait until my 457 runs out and then the bridging visa kicks in - not the end of the world but still a pain as this place is drinking me to drink!

Thanks in advance

Whatever you do Do not cancel the 457.

The bridging visa will also be cancelled if you do that and you will have to leave. You should continue on the 457 until it expires then you will be on a bridging visa. Bridging visas usually come with the same conditions as your original visa, you may need to seek professional advice as to what happens in your case and if you will be able to change employers or not. 

1 hour ago, BarryCowdrill said:

Hi guys,

I'm currently on a 457 visa, which runs out in September 2019. I am just about to lodge my defacto partner visa application forms - no issues with that as we've been together for 3 years and are now married etc. However, I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge or had been in a similar situation.

I really hate where I work and would love it if I could lodge my application, get the bridging visa, cancel my 457 and quit my place to find another job - all without having to leave the country. So - does anyone know if it is possible to request that your current 457 visa be cancelled and then go straight on to the bridging visa, whilst our partner visa application is processed?

Otherwise I will just have to wait until my 457 runs out and then the bridging visa kicks in - not the end of the world but still a pain as this place is drinking me to drink!

Thanks in advance

You need to see if the rules have changed, as previously you couldn’t cancel your 457 visa, and the bridging visa A only kicks in at the end date of your visa.but please check this. my daughter lodged her partner visa while she was on a 457, she then left her job and was on bridging visa E. She didn’t have to leave the country. You can’t work or leave the country on bridging visa E until your partner visa comes through, it’s an awful visa to be on. Unless the rules have changed it would be best to stick with your job till the 457 ends. She and her partner had to plead hardship and the work restrictions were lifted after several months, but not the travel restrictions.

Also your time in Australia to qualify for citizenship doesn’t start until your bridging visa E ends, it cancels out previous time here.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BarryCowdrill said:

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance

If your 457 is cancelled, your bridging visa A will also be cancelled. You will then have to go onto a bridging Visa E, which will have no work rights and no ability to leave Australia during the processing of the partner application. It will also reset your Citizenship clock. So overall, not a good idea unless your situation is desperate.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...