Primary schools in Queensland

Kriss

Hi 

I wonder if anyone can help me?

I move to Queensland in April. We are in the uk at the moment. My son started school in Sep2018. How soon can I enroll him in a school in Queensland? We are staying in temporary accommodation for 4 weeks, but we in tend to stay in the same area after that. I don’t want him missing out on too much school.

kriss 

Children starting prep need to be 5 before 30th June in the year they enrol. The school year commences end of January. 

I would contact the local schools in your intended area of residence to find out what you need to do. They may require proof of residence to determine your child is in the catchment so it may not be until you have settled into your (presumably) rental property that you can provide that proof. Some better schools than others attract children out of catchment, though this tends to be closer to the city and more in secondary schools I think. People have been caught lying about their addresses to get their children into these better schools so it’s a bit of a process now. We are 40 ish minutes away from Brisbane and still had a few hoops to jump through to enrol our child in the local primary school to prove we are in catchment.

Really won’t matter how much school he misses out on, nobody will give two hoots, get your permanent residence sorted first. Assuming he meets the cut off - and be aware that even if he is close to cut off (from about April onwards) you may be advised to delay his entry into full time school if he appears immature in comparison with the cohort. If he does make the cut off and you have a rental agreement then just rock up to the school with that, his visa and his vaccinations book (I believe there are some that the UK doesn’t do but which are expected in Australia) and he will be able to start there and then although schools do usually ask for a couple of days to get things organised.