Thins to do in Queensland

Dartmoorqueen

So me and my boyfriend moved to Queensland from the uk about a year ago maybe less. It’s probably just because we  chose Queensland and not nsw or vic but we are very excited to get back to the uk after how disappointing it has been here. We were so excited to visit this country that is spoken about like it’s so wonderful but we Just seen to have no liked it. 

We visisted Sydney and Byron bay we have seen Australia zoo and lone pine, visited Brisbane city and all the Gold Coast theme parks and my favourite eat street. But unfortunately they all cost a great deal of money and take a very long time to get to. Is there anywhere else people would suggest going before we move back preferably on the cheaper side of things. 

Thanks 🙂

14 minutes ago, Dartmoorqueen said:

So me and my boyfriend moved to Queensland from the uk about a year ago maybe less. It’s probably just because we  chose Queensland and not nsw or vic but we are very excited to get back to the uk after how disappointing it has been here. We were so excited to visit this country that is spoken about like it’s so wonderful but we Just seen to have no liked it. 

We visisted Sydney and Byron bay we have seen Australia zoo and lone pine, visited Brisbane city and all the Gold Coast theme parks and my favourite eat street. But unfortunately they all cost a great deal of money and take a very long time to get to. Is there anywhere else people would suggest going before we move back preferably on the cheaper side of things. 

Thanks 🙂

That's a shame but at least you've discovered that Australia or rather Queensland isn't for you and that's why a few of us old timers here suggest coming for a holiday to suss the place out before making decisions about migrating.  I can't suggest any other places in Queensland for you to visit as I don't know Queensland at all.  There will probably be Qld members here who will be able to help you out with that.

What are your interests?

If you were in the UK what would you look to do in your free time for instance?  Would you visit tourist attractions every weekend?  That would be expensive too.

It does sound as though you have treated the move as a bit of a holiday based on your list.  Normal life is not like that for anyone.

Well back in the uk we would go for walks in the country side but it’s far to hot to do that here plus my boyfriend is terrified of snakes and normal everyday stuff in England involves going outside and not dying from heat stroke. We have tried to do everyday normal stuff but since there are no towns in this state it’s just walking around shopping malls. And I mean getting every where is expensive. As in petrol everything is too spaced out. 

I would have thought the Great Barrier Reef and the Whitsundays would be top of the list for a Queensland trip - but they aren't going to be the "cheaper side of things".   Australia is a very large country - about the size of Europe.  Of course it takes time to cover distances.

4 minutes ago, Dartmoorqueen said:

Well back in the uk we would go for walks in the country side but it’s far to hot to do that here plus my boyfriend is terrified of snakes and normal everyday stuff in England involves going outside and not dying from heat stroke. We have tried to do everyday normal stuff but since there are no towns in this state it’s just walking around shopping malls. And I mean getting every where is expensive. As in petrol everything is too spaced out. 

Tried the beach? It's free, brilliant in hot weather and good fun. You need to be able to swim quit well though. Being able to surf would help too. Get yourselves a couple of surfboards and learn.

I’m not trying to diss the country if any one feels that way I just think I had a different kinda place in mind. I know people say you should check out a country before you move but i took a leap and tbh wouldn’t of been able to afford to visit first I’m only 20. We have tried the beach yes but it’s just so hot in Queensland and the beaches are like 2 hours away. When we have the time we love to visit Byron because it’s our favourite even if it is ages away. I’d love to do the Great Barrier Reef but it’s pretty far away and Expensive but it’s on my list. I do know how big Australia is I just didn’t know that I’d have to drive to my closest shop which is pretty irritating since I don’t drive. And no I’m England I’d go into town but you don’t have that here and the city takes a very long time to get to. 

18 minutes ago, Dartmoorqueen said:

I’m not trying to diss the country if any one feels that way I just think I had a different kinda place in mind. I know people say you should check out a country before you move but i took a leap and tbh wouldn’t of been able to afford to visit first I’m only 20. We have tried the beach yes but it’s just so hot in Queensland and the beaches are like 2 hours away. When we have the time we love to visit Byron because it’s our favourite even if it is ages away. I’d love to do the Great Barrier Reef but it’s pretty far away and Expensive but it’s on my list. I do know how big Australia is I just didn’t know that I’d have to drive to my closest shop which is pretty irritating since I don’t drive. And no I’m England I’d go into town but you don’t have that here and the city takes a very long time to get to. 

I live in Tasmania and on the north west coast it doesn't get that hot - warm yes but not hot.  I can walk into town, shops, cinema, cafes etc and walk to the beach.  Lovely countryside too. Downside is there isn't much work but we are retired so that doesn't matter.  Australia varies so much depending on where you live.  Tasmania is sort of like the UK - better weather though. 😋

I hope you manage to do the Great Barrier Reef before you go.  I went years ago and it was wonderful.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dartmoorqueen said:

Sounds like you just chose the wrong place to live. If you like the beach it's a good idea the live close to it. In walking distance preferably.

For 20 year olds I would have thought the Gold Coast would have been a good choice. Everything on the doorstep, cooler as its near the ocean, you can walk everywhere, lots of other young people, pubs clubs galore.

Moving to Byron would be a good choice if you like it. 

You could make exactly the same mistake in the UK. There are some dodgy places there too I wouldn't fancy living in. The one we moved from was none too flash.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dartmoorqueen said:

Summers are hot here - easy to research and Queensland is vast.  Water-borne hobbies predominate.  Swimming, surfing, fishing, kayaking, canoeing, sailing, etc etc.  My loves are cricket and golf which I can do all year round.

I enjoy bush-walking and cycling but only do these from April to October.  Have only seen one snake in 4 years.  My main bugbear is walking or cycling into a spider web if nobody has travelled that path before you that day but it doesn’t stop me.  I love the scenic rim, Mt Tambourine, the Glasshouse Mountains, Stradbroke Island, for walking but plenty of local alternatives too many to list.

From Calamvale its not that far to Mt Tamborine, O'Reillys, Berrinba Wetlands etc all have great walks and stunning scenery and for free, a tad further you have Springbrook, the opposite direction is Samford Valley, Glasshouse mountains etc . Unfortunately unless your very central ,be it Brisbane or Gold Coast you do need transport, that was a major tip i picked up prior to moving, i couldn't stand living here if i didn't drive.. 

Dec / Jan / Feb are the hottest months and not great months for walking/ hiking during the day , but its not too hot every month of the year, infact July and August are pretty chilly.. 

What areas of the UK did you like? It may be easier for people to give you area ideas if they know.

Cal x

• Like 1