IT professional late life emigration questions

Swgdesign

Hi all,

I am hoping a few of you can help me with some questions I have about my prospects of emigrating to Australia/NZ (decision yet to be made).

i am 39, 40 this year. I have been working in IT as a developer for the last 13 years since 2006 (windows services, web software etc). I do not have a degree.

I have 70pts through assessment tests I have completed.

1) I am thinking of studying for a computing degree - would it help my case? (it will increase the points)

2) How full on is the RLD assessment I I try with a degree? Has anyone been through this?

3) I also could try via STSOL as I was previously a Web Developer and I am still a Scuba Instructor - I assume this is hardly worth trying for state sponsorship?

many thanks for your advice folks

simon

I agree, speak with a MARA registered migration agent. If they are not MARa registered don’t bother. There are a number on here who post regularly, Raul Senise, wrussel, Alan Collet and Paul Hand. 

A breakdown of your points would be helpful- and by the way if you are claiming 20 for superior English, you do actually have to sit the test and score well to claim those 20. Sounds easy, but it’s actually harder than you might think. Lots of native English speakers get caught out. 

If your profession is on the skills list check what the requirements are to pass the skills assessment, it may be you need a degree for that profession, not all, but most. If you don’t have one and it is a requirement, then it’s game over I’m afraid. No amount of experience will make up for it.

All the best with it all 

If a degree is a requirement then any experience you have before that will not count. So you don’t really gain as you will have zero years of qualified experience after the degree..

For some occupations it can be possible to substitute several years of experience for the degree. You will need to check if this is possible for your occupation. If it is then you can only count the remaining years as qualified experience. 

A good agent may be able to suggest alternative ways or occupations that might help in your case. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, rammygirl said:

If a degree is a requirement then any experience you have before that will not count. So you don’t really gain as you will have zero years of qualified experience after the degree..

For some occupations it can be possible to substitute several years of experience for the degree. You will need to check if this is possible for your occupation. If it is then you can only count the remaining years as qualified experience. 

A good agent may be able to suggest alternative ways or occupations that might help in your case. 

I find it crazy that they will only count experience post degree...especially if the experience can be evidenced and verified. There are lots of experienced talented people who don't necessarily have a degree, but can offer so much to Australia that are not even considered. In cases like this, Australia are pretty much saying a wealth of experience and learning on the job counts for nothing yet someone newly qualified with 2/3 years post degree experience would be welcomed...then once visa approved they don't even check if that person is actually working in the occupation they get their visa granted on, the whole process is baffling! I can't understand how Australia efficiently measure the success of their immigration system. 

I know so many people with degrees who have little experience in the role and admit they learn more on the job than at university, I also have friends who have emigrated with degrees through skilled visas, only to arrive in Australia and change career to a non skilled occupation or set up dog walking businesses! 

I agree to speak with a migration agent who will be able to best advise, just find it so sad that people who have years of valuable experience are completely discounted just because they don't hold a 3 year university degree. A lot of people did and do not have the opportunity to go to university yet have worked hard to build a successful career for themselves and they get completely ruled out when they could in fact offer a lot to the Australian job market. 

2 hours ago, Captain_Tor said:

I find it crazy that they will only count experience post degree...especially if the experience can be evidenced and verified. There are lots of experienced talented people who don't necessarily have a degree, but can offer so much to Australia that are not even considered. In cases like this, Australia are pretty much saying a wealth of experience and learning on the job counts for nothing yet someone newly qualified with 2/3 years post degree experience would be welcomed...then once visa approved they don't even check if that person is actually working in the occupation they get their visa granted on, the whole process is baffling! I can't understand how Australia efficiently measure the success of their immigration system. 

I know so many people with degrees who have little experience in the role and admit they learn more on the job than at university, I also have friends who have emigrated with degrees through skilled visas, only to arrive in Australia and change career to a non skilled occupation or set up dog walking businesses! 

I agree to speak with a migration agent who will be able to best advise, just find it so sad that people who have years of valuable experience are completely discounted just because they don't hold a 3 year university degree. A lot of people did and do not have the opportunity to go to university yet have worked hard to build a successful career for themselves and they get completely ruled out when they could in fact offer a lot to the Australian job market. 

Migration is rarely fair or sane. Let me give you a couple of examples.

My occupation stayed on the skilled lists as a "wanted / in demand" occupation when we had near 50% unemployment. 

On fairness, there was a visa until a couple of years ago that was for skilled applicants that took a long time to process - think years. Out of the blue, the dept announced the visa was cancelled, retrospective. Many of the applicants were already in Australia on bridging visas and had been for years. They were informed they no longer have. Visa and must leave within 28 days. Oh, and they could get a refund if they could provide the original paper recipiet for the payment made years before. 

45 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Migration is rarely fair or sane. Let me give you a couple of examples.

My occupation stayed on the skilled lists as a "wanted / in demand" occupation when we had near 50% unemployment. 

On fairness, there was a visa until a couple of years ago that was for skilled applicants that took a long time to process - think years. Out of the blue, the dept announced the visa was cancelled, retrospective. Many of the applicants were already in Australia on bridging visas and had been for years. They were informed they no longer have. Visa and must leave within 28 days. Oh, and they could get a refund if they could provide the original paper recipiet for the payment made years before. 

Absolutely crazy. 

11 hours ago, Captain_Tor said:

When we emigrated we came on my experience post degree in IT, comms and software. The guy at the embassy said I would have got more points in my previous occupation as a mechanical fitter. I left school at 16, did an apprenticeship with the NCB and worked as a fitter for 14 years. Went to uni when I was 30. 

Unfortunately had to apply on my latest quals and experience. Luckily had enough points on that. Strange rules sometimes.

On 04/02/2019 at 07:00, Swgdesign said:

Hi all,

I am hoping a few of you can help me with some questions I have about my prospects of emigrating to Australia/NZ (decision yet to be made).

i am 39, 40 this year. I have been working in IT as a developer for the last 13 years since 2006 (windows services, web software etc). I do not have a degree.

I have 70pts through assessment tests I have completed.

1) I am thinking of studying for a computing degree - would it help my case? (it will increase the points)

2) How full on is the RLD assessment I I try with a degree? Has anyone been through this?

3) I also could try via STSOL as I was previously a Web Developer and I am still a Scuba Instructor - I assume this is hardly worth trying for state sponsorship?

many thanks for your advice folks

simon

I would suggest that you obtain professional advice as I am suspicious of the 70 points you claim to have.

I would hazard a guess that it was on online self assessment, as it would be difficult (if not impossible) for a 40 year old with no degree to score 70 points.

Online self assessments "tools" are nutritious for being very generous with points allocations.

32 minutes ago, Raul Senise said:

I would suggest that you obtain professional advice as I am suspicious of the 70 points you claim to have.

I would hazard a guess that it was on online self assessment, as it would be difficult (if not impossible) for a 40 year old with no degree to score 70 points.

Online self assessments "tools" are nutritious for being very generous with points allocations.

Yes online self assessment tools provide all of the elements of a balanced diet. They are often used by Vegans to supplement their protein deficient diets 🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

While that may be the case, it is all I have to go off right now. Can you explain why I would not score 70 points, and outline how points are given then as you are in the know?

I have to say that most people who are in IT would argue that 13 years experience > any degree qualified youngster with little to no experience. Real world experience makes you valuable to companies, not a piece of paper saying you can pass an exam. ;)

11 hours ago, Swgdesign said:

While that may be the case, it is all I have to go off right now. Can you explain why I would not score 70 points, and outline how points are given then as you are in the know?

• If you are obtaining a skills assessment from ACS (ICT Occupations) with no qualifications, you are likely to lose 6 years of experience, before you are considered skilled.
  • You are already 39, so by the time you are in a position to lodge something will likely be 40, losing further points.
  • I am assuming you have not sat an English test but have allocated the full 20 points for English. It is not as easy as many people think to achieve the top score required to claim 20 points.

Although 70 points may be possible, it is not as straight forward as an online assessment may make it appear. That is why a proper assessment s recommended to determine if you have a visa option, before you spend lots of money on a skills assessment or a qualification.

11 hours ago, Swgdesign said:

I have to say that most people who are in IT would argue that 13 years experience > any degree qualified youngster with little to no experience. Real world experience makes you valuable to companies, not a piece of paper saying you can pass an exam. 😉

I agree with you wholeheartedly, however, this is not how the skills assessment or visa process works.

There are rigid rules which cater to very specific requirements, which do not always reflect the realities of the real world.

Edited by Raul Senise

13 hours ago, Swgdesign said:

I have to say that most people who are in IT would argue that 13 years experience > any degree qualified youngster with little to no experience. Real world experience makes you valuable to companies, not a piece of paper saying you can pass an exam. 😉

Unfortunately it doesn’t matter what most people who are in IT would argue, it’s the rules. Raul who posted is a very well regarded migrant agent, he knows how it works