Where to start? Perth and Perth living.

Jamieliverpool

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 08:30, Perthbum said:

WHAT???? THEY CHECK YOUR BAG IN A SHOP???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I WOULD EMPTY THE BAG ONTO THE FLOOR AND WALK OUT SAYING CHECK IT NOW ARSEHOLE.

They check on your way out … so you'd be leaving items you'd paid for on the floor

• Haha 2

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 16:05, Paul1Perth said:

We live in such a nice place though the upside is we don't feel we need to get away. We just go down the local beach and feel how lucky are we. 

Not got sick of it or blase about it in the 27 years we've been here.

Perth is a nice City with loads to do and 30 mins away on public transport. There's restaurants, bars, clubs, live music, movies, theatres galore and everything else you would expect from a nice City. There's wineries and the hills another 30 mins away. All without crowds you would get in equivalent places. As a matter of fact there isn't an equivalent place. Perth is a one off. Living the dream.

They say Perth is sleepy but we were in Darling Harbour the other week and the restaurants were all closed by 10pm and the one we were in stacking chairs/tables around us whilst we were still eating at 9.30pm - couldn't get us out quick enough.

We have the Fringe on at the moment which is great - heard on the radio it's one of the largest outside of Edinburgh.

I love living here 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, ali said:

They say Perth is sleepy but we were in Darling Harbour the other week and the restaurants were all closed by 10pm and the one we were in stacking chairs/tables around us whilst we were still eating at 9.30pm - couldn't get us out quick enough.

We have the Fringe on at the moment which is great - heard on the radio it's one of the largest outside of Edinburgh.

I love living here 

Lockout laws in Sydney killed the CBD.  Everything has moved to the suburbs 

• Like 1

On 05/02/2019 at 20:47, Marisawright said:

Current advice is to have enough savings to see you through for about six months, as it can take about that long to find employment.

This.  Despite all the qualifications and experience in the world, be prepared for a for knock backs due to "lack of Australian experience".

Alternately be prepared to take a position lower than you were in the UK and work your way back up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, unzippy said:

This.  Despite all the qualifications and experience in the world, be prepared for a for knock backs due to "lack of Australian experience".

Alternately be prepared to take a position lower than you were in the UK and work your way back up.

Yep, went through a fair bit of that. Once I got the first job though and interviewers see you are serious about staying I've never looked back or been out of work. 

• Like 1

On 09/02/2019 at 20:06, ali said:

I love living here 

Darling Harbour - meh - never liked the place.  There are lots of very late night eateries (some 'til the early hours of the morning) in and around the CBD   ............... if you know where to look.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Toots said:

Darling Harbour - meh - never liked the place.  There are lots of very late night eateries (some 'til the early hours of the morning) in and around the CBD   ............... if you know where to look.

Darling Harbour is for tourists.  Ordinary and expensive like tourist meccas anywhere 

8 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

No, can’t blame her. I lived in Sydney for thirty years and it was never easy to find a place to EAT after nine pm. The lockdown only affected night clubs really

Enmore, Newtown and Darlinghurst and some other suburbs near the CBD have eateries open 'til after midnight.  Nothing fancy mind you.  Some decent Thai, Malaysian, Tapas and Indian places.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

No, can’t blame her. I lived in Sydney for thirty years and it was never easy to find a place to EAT after nine pm. The lockdown only affected night clubs really

That's interesting Marissa as one of the constant comparisons for Perth and other places is that the eateries close early - but it appears that they haven't closed earlier than Sydney for a number of years. 

6 minutes ago, ali said:

That's interesting Marissa as one of the constant comparisons for Perth and other places is that the eateries close early - but it appears that they haven't closed earlier than Sydney for a number of years. 

I would imagine Perth has plenty of late night places to go to for something to eat.  I know when we lived in Perth we used to go for a light meal after the theatre and I bet things have improved over the  30 years since we lived there.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ali said:

What Toots says is true - if you know the right suburbs you can find late-night places.  But the post I responded to, referred to the CBD, and there's nothing within walking distance and never really has been.

56 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Northbridge is a quiet leafy suburb, about half an hour's drive from the CBD on the other side of the bridge.  What would it have to do with the discussion?

Are we talking Northbridge, Perth here? Which is a short walk from the CBD with lots of bars and restaurants and a few nightclubs. The place where many people head for a night out. It's not somewhere I'd describe as a quiet, leafy suburb and I used to go there a lot 😕

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

Are we talking Northbridge, Perth here? Which is a short walk from the CBD with lots of bars and restaurants and a few nightclubs. The place where many people head for a night out. It's not somewhere I'd describe as a quiet, leafy suburb and I used to go there a lot 😕

We're obviously talking at cross purposes.  I was replying to a post saying there were no late-night eateries in the Sydney CBD because of Gladys Berejiklian's lockout laws.   There never have been many late-night eateries in the Sydney CBD, all the time I lived there.  Trendy inner suburbs, whichever city you're in, are more likely to have such places - but the average visitor wouldn't know they were there.

20 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

We're obviously talking at cross purposes.  I was replying to a post saying there were no late-night eateries in the Sydney CBD because of Gladys Berejiklian's lockout laws.   There never have been many late-night eateries in the Sydney CBD, all the time I lived there.  Trendy inner suburbs, whichever city you're in, are more likely to have such places - but the average visitor wouldn't know they were there.

It would appear so 😀

2 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

Not even in Northbridge??

When Marisa replied to your post she was referring to Northbridge not too far north over the Sydney Harbour Bridge.  It is a lovely leafy suburb.  Your Perth Northbridge seems to be more of a city nightspot.  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toots said:

When Marisa replied to your post she was referring to Northbridge not too far north over the Sydney Harbour Bridge.  It is a lovely leafy suburb.  Your Perth Northbridge seems to be more of a city nightspot.  🙂

If I think of Northbridge Perth I think of masses of eating place, but that was in the 80’ and 90’s

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 10:23, Marisawright said:

Northbridge is a quiet leafy suburb, about half an hour's drive from the CBD on the other side of the bridge.  What would it have to do with the discussion?

Have you ever been? It's about the most liveliest place in Perth at night. You would definitely be able to get something to eat late there. 

It's joined up with the rest of the City now. No need to take the bridge. 

Since the other side of the City and the laneways have been done up and got more popular Northbridge now looks like it needs a bit of money spending on it. It's happening though with a big new hotel built in the middle. Still the place to go for a lively late night though.