Where to start? Perth and Perth living.

Jamieliverpool

7 hours ago, tab said:

The one thing that pleasantly shocked me yesterday is we went to s museum . There was no bag inspections no security to walk through. I have noticed a massive change for the better in my e children's emotional  wellbeing. The sheer lack of busyness and generally having peace and quiet  and no traffic jams on the m62 everyday is bliss.

Although I expect you get your bag checked most times you shop. That was a huge shock to me, just wouldn’t happen in the uk unless they had good reason to think you’d  pinched something.  I remember the first time I went there and as I was leaving target someone just walked up to me and insisted I show her in my bad. Wow I thought, that’s a first, I obviously look dodgy but no, everyone gets that treatment. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Jamieliverpool said:

Thanks everyone for your replies.

ash we are just down the road from you then . My misses was a teacher for Toni and guy An now works for wella so we are hoping for a teaching job over there for her. These are hard to come by both in the uk and Oz it seems but we ll see. Good luck with your move. Thanks for the recommendation of the emigration group we’ve contacted them and got the ball rolling. 

Captian_tor - “I have friends with uni degrees and some who are experienced professionals who are working in entry level call centres and general admin jobs. Lots of number fudging going on to make it look like the employment levels are good when in fact, as you mention, there's so many zero hour contracts with people getting next to no hours each week or 20 hours split over 5 days resulting in additional outlay costs such a travel/parking expensesjust to go to work... which makes it a pointless task. “ 

this has absolutely hit the nail on the head of the point I’m trying to make. I was surprised that some people seemed to think the UK is in good shape. It really isn’t. I know a lot of people in the same situation as you have described. We both have decent jobs but like I said in an earlier post if I was to be laid off or anything like that we would be in serious trouble. The work just isn’t there. I’m not trying to point score or be political I’m just being honest in the way I see the situation here . 

Tab- yeah I totally agree and it’s for similar reasons we have decided enough is enough. My misses works in Manchester so she knows exactly about the m62 traffic! Sounds like you and your family are having a fantastic time and it’s really encouraging to hear. 

Thanks again everyone for replying and for the advice . The way Liverpool are throwing this league away I might pack up an leave tomorrow 😭

I guess like anywhere it depends what area of the country you live. If you lived in an afulent area in the south for example then you would be very unlikely to have those same job worries, both in terms of pay and getting another job should yours end. If where you live is really as bad as you say I totally understand you wanting to move to somewhere better and I wish you the best of luck. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Although I expect you get your bag checked most times you shop. That was a huge shock to me, just wouldn’t happen in the uk unless they had good reason to think you’d  pinched something.  I remember the first time I went there and as I was leaving target someone just walked up to me and insisted I show her in my bad. Wow I thought, that’s a first, I obviously look dodgy but no, everyone gets that treatment. 

Never had a bag checked, and I do a lot of shopping

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

You get that in sports direct.

2 hours ago, newjez said:

You get that in sports direct.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky but I’ve never seen that happen in sports direct and I’ve been in several different ones over the years. I’ve never seen it happen anywhere in the UK but I know for sure it happens very regularly in Oz. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

WHAT???? THEY CHECK YOUR BAG IN A SHOP???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I WOULD EMPTY THE BAG ONTO THE FLOOR AND WALK OUT SAYING CHECK IT NOW ARSEHOLE.

16 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

IN oz maybe, not in the UK, i cannot believe anyone has the audacity to check your bags

Perhaps you haven’t lived in many countries? Middle East you have to leave your own bags on a shelf before you enter the massive supermarkets. Bags containing your purchases are celataped closed in some countries. It’s common practice here, why would you object to a cursory glance in your bag unless you feel/are guilty. You aren’t picked on, same rule for everyone. Never seen anyone spit the dummy yet.

Seems mostly at Target and Kmart on the Coast.

I should  object to being picked on almost every time I fly for a body check, bit worse than a bag check, Why should I be targeted, I would prefer it to be everyone so that I wasn’t the only one in the queue searched.far more suspicious people around than me.

Edited by ramot

11 minutes ago, ramot said:

Perhaps you haven’t lived in many countries? Middle East you have to leave your own bags on a shelf before you enter the massive supermarkets. Bags containing your purchases are celataped closed in some countries. It’s common practice here, why would you object to a cursory glance in your bag unless you feel/are guilty. You aren’t picked on, same rule for everyone. Never seen anyone spit the dummy yet.

I should  object to being picked on almost every time I fly for a body check, bit worse than a bag check, Why should I be targeted, I would prefer it to be everyone so that I wasn’t the only one in the queue searched.far more suspicious people around than me.

That has happened to me too.  OH walked through plus loads of other people and I was told to stand away from the rest of the crowd to be patted down.  OH thought it was funny.  I didn't.

I think it is Aldi policy (at least here in Melbourne) to check all bags (even seen baby strollers getting checked).  We were taken aback first time it happened, and my wife was fuming. But they do it to everyone so there is no profiling involved.

On Monday, February 04, 2019 at 05:32, Jamieliverpool said:

Thank for your reply’s and advice .

The uk does have record low unemployment at the moment. It also has nearly a million people on zero hour working contracts and nearly 4 million people in working poverty .  The work prospects In my region are not great at all. I’m a coded welder who’s worked all over the Middle East, Canada and America . I was laid off 3 years ago and it took me 5 months to get employment. It’s worse than that now . I was recently called by an employment agency to see what my work situation was and was told of an “excellent opportunity” they had which was paying £8.50 an hour . Which obviously I would take if I had no work just to feed my family but it’s far from ideal . I want to better myself and my family’s prospects, not just get by . 

Im not saying Perth or Australia has streets paved with gold but a simple job search puts the uk to shame. You would know better as your there I understand that. All I’m doing is looking for a better life for us all. It’s certainly an eye opener as maybe i have looked into Perth as a cure all for everything I want for us. I will definitely take this into account .

again thank you for your time and advice .

jamie

A lot of the unemployment/underemployment is hidden away by zero hour contracts that's for sure.

As a coded welder I think your prospects would be better in Perth. My eldest is an apprentice trained sparkie here and he's never struggled for work. Worked a lot of FIFO jobs earning some serious money. Not the jobs for married people with kids though IMO.

It can get pretty hot up in the hills, you can get bigger rural properties at a good price for sure. Personally though I prefer it near the coast where it's cooler and the kids can pop down the beach on their own to meet friends and have fun. Keeps them away from their devices and gets them some exercise too.

I would be checking your chances for a PR visa given your skills.

• Like 1

On Tuesday, February 05, 2019 at 08:48, can1983 said:

Would think twice about leaving any family to move to Perth where the economy is in bad shape. We have friends who have been forced to leave there due to lack of work after the mining boom ended and have a house in negative equity they can't afford to sell.

Its the most isolate place on earth. Even the penguins in Antarctica have more places to visit 😉

I've never got the isolated thing. Isolated from what? There are some fantastic places to visit. I prefer it down South personally. Margaret River, Denmark, Augusta etc etc. 

The economy is picking up with lots of money being spent on new mining ventures. The mining and oil & gas opportunities are numerous for good welders. I have a friend who's a welder. He's married with kids though so never fancied FIFO but he's never been out of work. Money isn't so good locally but it's OK. They seem to get by just fine,  have plenty of holidays and eat out a lot.

Some of the bigger projects that my son has worked on have to be seen to be believed. Check out wheatstone for sheer size. Offshore oil and gas is massive.

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

I've never got the isolated thing. Isolated from what? There are some fantastic places to visit. I prefer it down South personally. Margaret River, Denmark, Augusta etc etc. 

The economy is picking up with lots of money being spent on new mining ventures. The mining and oil & gas opportunities are numerous for good welders. I have a friend who's a welder. He's married with kids though so never fancied FIFO but he's never been out of work. Money isn't so good locally but it's OK. They seem to get by just fine,  have plenty of holidays and eat out a lot.

Some of the bigger projects that my son has worked on have to be seen to be believed. Check out wheatstone for sheer size. Offshore oil and gas is massive.

Been to all those places visiting WA in 2014. Lovely places but there's a limit to how many times you can go and Denmark is 5 hours from Perth so hardly a weekend job

4 hours ago, ABG said:

I think it is Aldi policy (at least here in Melbourne) to check all bags (even seen baby strollers getting checked).  We were taken aback first time it happened, and my wife was fuming. But they do it to everyone so there is no profiling involved.

Yes I agree no one is picked on, it just happens and people get used to it. I seem to have stired up something here. I was just responding to the person who’d moved over 5 weeks ago and was saying how great they had found it. They said how nice it was to go to a museum and not have to have their bags checked before they could go in. I just made the comment there as it’s inportsnt to give the OP as much info as possible. You may not get your bag checked if he go to a museum but you’ll sure get them checked when out shopping.

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I agree re isolated thing. Yes it is supposedly the most isolated city in the world but there is well over a million people there so you’re hardly alone. Also, I expect most people work and play within a short distance for their home. I bet something like 95% of people only travel further than a few hours from their home on rare occasions like holidays so it doesn’t really matter. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I agree re isolated thing. Yes it is supposedly the most isolated city in the world but there is well over a million people there so you’re hardly alone. Also, I expect most people work and play within a short distance for their home. I bet something like 95% of people only travel further than a few hours from their home on rare occasions like holidays so it doesn’t really matter. 

I'm surprised this debate keeps happening.    It's not about being isolated from other people.   Whether you feel isolated depends on your interests.   I can see how outdoors-y, sporting people would never feel isolated in Perth, because everything they like doing is within easy reach.   People with more cultural interests will see it differently, because while there are cultural pursuits in Perth, they are more limited than in the other states - and of course, far more limited than the UK or Europe.  So people like me will feel isolated whereas people like Paul1Perth won't, and we're both right.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, can1983 said:

Been to all those places visiting WA in 2014. Lovely places but there's a limit to how many times you can go and Denmark is 5 hours from Perth so hardly a weekend job

We live in such a nice place though the upside is we don't feel we need to get away. We just go down the local beach and feel how lucky are we. 

Not got sick of it or blase about it in the 27 years we've been here.

Perth is a nice City with loads to do and 30 mins away on public transport. There's restaurants, bars, clubs, live music, movies, theatres galore and everything else you would expect from a nice City. There's wineries and the hills another 30 mins away. All without crowds you would get in equivalent places. As a matter of fact there isn't an equivalent place. Perth is a one off. Living the dream.

12 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I guess like anywhere it depends what area of the country you live. If you lived in an afulent area in the south for example then you would be very unlikely to have those same job worries, both in terms of pay and getting another job should yours end. If where you live is really as bad as you say I totally understand you wanting to move to somewhere better and I wish you the best of luck. 

Would there be well paid jobs for coded welders in affluent areas of the South though. Even if there were the cost of a move and difference in house prices would make a move nigh on impossible.

We had the same dilemma when we emigrated. We thought about moving to the South Coast where I had a good job offer but the price of houses put us off. It was cheaper to emigrate.

39 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I'm surprised this debate keeps happening.    It's not about being isolated from other people.   Whether you feel isolated depends on your interests.   I can see how outdoors-y, sporting people would never feel isolated in Perth, because everything they like doing is within easy reach.   People with more cultural interests will see it differently, because while there are cultural pursuits in Perth, they are more limited than in the other states - and of course, far more limited than the UK or Europe.  So people like me will feel isolated whereas people like Paul1Perth won't, and we're both right.

Do yourself a favour and get some tickets for Gary Clark Jr. At the concert hall soon. He's one of the best blues guitarists around, packs out massive stadiums in America and is playing the concert hall here? Thought it a bit strange that he was even playing in Perth but found out his wife, Nicole Trunfio, who I thought was Italian is actually from Merredin😀. So maybe they are popping back to see her folks.

Love seeing bands at the Concert Hall too. Definitely won't get your bags checked there like the Arena so much nicer bar and closer to the band.

Edited by Paul1Perth
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ramot said:

We are talking modern countries not the middle east, I travel to Europe a lot plus the States and other countries, no one has ever checked my bag, its pathetic if a country needs to do that. I honestly would tip my bag up and walk out, why the hell should you be subject to that garbage.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I agree 100%, some people love it but I need the culture food and people of Europe a few times a year,  I could not live in an isolated city as much as an isolated island.