Any camping fans on the forum?

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 20:19, Phoenix16 said:

And yep, the rangers will find you in WA!! You could be behind the most remote sand dune, trust me they will find you, they know all the tricks!! Saying that, I do see so many camper vans quietly parked up in areas around Freo that seem to get away with it, I think the odd night you will survive but a permanent camp for a few months, naw, you’re  dreaming....

You see quite a few vans parked for a night or two in the hidden car parks off West Coast Highway near Hillarys. Great place for them to stop. Nearby restaurants galore, showers and toilet blocks, free barbecues, nice parks and right next to the beach. No fees for anything. 

They are big car parks too and I've seen vans there for a week or so mid summer. Not families, usually just a couple of people in a self contained van.

I suppose if there were too many the rangers would move them on but it's not been a problem so far.

On 10/02/2019 at 07:18, WayneM said:

I am wondering if I ought to get one of those Utes when I arrive, they seem quite common over there.

The Toyota Hilux ute is currently the top selling car in Oz...and a Mitsubishi ute No. 3.

We had a friend who lives in Sydney recommend getting a 4x4 to allow exploration of more remote locations, but I'm assuming it's a big investment for something rarely used.

Rarely used?  Squillions of them in Oz - doing the school run during the week...and the kids' sports at the weekend....while Dad drives the ute to work.  😉

• Like 1

North Stradbroke, Coochiemudloo Island, Fraser Island, Noosa North Shore to name but a few ... I must admit lately we go via boat to Horseshoe Bay / Peel Island or other little islands in and around Moreton Bay as less accessible means less people and a lovely relaxing break ,lol
 Cal x

Love all of these places for camping. I also love Moreton Island, Tin Can Bay, Rainbow Beach, South Ballina etc - all easily within 3 hours of Brisbane. A 4x4 is pretty much essential for each of them.
I have a crew cab (4-door) 4x4 instead of a regular car. These days most of them are as comfortable as a regular vehicle and have many of the same features with the added bonus that they can go off road and tow a camper trailer (trailer tent) which is our glamping. For one or two nights away we don’t glamp we just load up the ute with an Esky, a double swag and some basics and lay under the stars - amazing [emoji6]
  • Like 2

On 30/04/2019 at 11:50, Paul1Perth said:

You see quite a few vans parked for a night or two in the hidden car parks off West Coast Highway near Hillarys. Great place for them to stop. Nearby restaurants galore, showers and toilet blocks, free barbecues, nice parks and right next to the beach. No fees for anything. 

They are big car parks too and I've seen vans there for a week or so mid summer. Not families, usually just a couple of people in a self contained van.

I suppose if there were too many the rangers would move them on but it's not been a problem so far.

I agree, I see heaps of vans parked up in similar areas around Freo area near to facilities and it’s often backpackers doing the tour, I’ve never seen any trouble or issues and everyone tends to turn a blind eye.  But, I can honestly say that when you travel outside of the metro the rangers are pretty vigilant, I’ve seen camper vans parked up in lay-bys on long lonely stretches of roads and in such instances it’s safety, taking a rest after many hours of travel before they continue on and that seems to be acceptable (rightly so) but then I’ve seen very extensive camp set ups hidden behind sand dunes in the most remote and stunning places that clearly look like its not just for the night, not saying I don’t agree with it, in fact pretty envious, some stunning locations and some well maintained camps but trust me, the rangers will find them!  We’ve 4WDriven to some pretty remote beaches only to see the ranger driving past, particularly evening time when they know camps will start to be set up!!  Don’t know if you’re familiar with Wedge Island? Would love your views if you are, it’s an absolutely stunningly place to visit, the beach is just incredible in the summer months, but there is a big shack community there who are very protective of their area, I can understand as it has attracted hoons in the past, but as a regular, peaceful family with kids and a few labradors, I have never been so intimidated as my last day trip with ‘locals’ driving past constantly and giving the hard stare, it’s time Wedge was bulldozed and made available to everyone in my opinion.

On 30/04/2019 at 07:32, WayneM said:
On 10/02/2019 at 20:36, Phoenix16 said:
This is the view from my camp kitchen in Ningaloo marine park, this is also my camp set up with no power hook up or amenties, I love solar ha ha.... and I hope it gives you a taste of the camping opportunities you have here xxxxx
039CB0B5-9968-4F14-985C-448B647C2B6D.thumb.jpeg.4352c97e993ddc628252b0ace4ef1d5a.jpeg
9DF5BE8C-D912-4FF2-993D-E489B5994577.thumb.jpeg.1c591341d2fd9dc3eabce5df0df38dbd.jpeg

Is that a solar powered TV?

Yep, every single appliance is solar powered, solar panels on top of the trailer, 1500w inverter, I can even use my hair dryer and straighteners (hubby goes mad as he says they ‘pull’ so much power’ but that’s the compromise of bush camping for me 😂), the solar power runs everything and it’s never ever let us down even in winter, it runs 2 fridges and a freezer, lights, we always have heaps of appliances charging, hot water, we’ve taken the slow cooker with us, microwave oven, bamix hand blender, it will run anything under 1500w, we’ve just camped for 7 days unpowered and the solar maintained full power (ampage hubby refers to) at all times.  Even in winter, a glimmer of sun just tops it up continually.  Hope this helps, hubby is the expert but we are massive campers, feel free to PM me any questions at all xx

On 30/04/2019 at 07:32, WayneM said:
On 10/02/2019 at 20:36, Phoenix16 said:
This is the view from my camp kitchen in Ningaloo marine park, this is also my camp set up with no power hook up or amenties, I love solar ha ha.... and I hope it gives you a taste of the camping opportunities you have here xxxxx
039CB0B5-9968-4F14-985C-448B647C2B6D.thumb.jpeg.4352c97e993ddc628252b0ace4ef1d5a.jpeg
9DF5BE8C-D912-4FF2-993D-E489B5994577.thumb.jpeg.1c591341d2fd9dc3eabce5df0df38dbd.jpeg

Is that a solar powered TV?

PS yes, that campsite was over 1000km from Perth, there was no access to any power or phone signals, we were 100km from any help/resources whatsoever (Exmouth being the nearest town), it was simply amazing, you would love it as a camper.  PS lovely brand new toilets, I’m a long drop phobic but these were pretty modern long drops that even I could tolerate!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Do you jolly campers go for the love of camping, or is there any special purpose? 

My camping is because I love to fish pristine waters and for fossicking, hence the “rough and ready” gear.  BTW, Mum loves this way of camping as well.

Cheers, Bobj.

For us it is just about leaving the city and complications of modern life behind...being at one with nature and all of that getting back to basics stuff.

It's a difficult balance, because the access to modern tech also makes life easier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're planning on doing the big lap. Just trying to figure out what set up will work best for us. It will definitely involve a 4X4, but just considering the pros and cons of rooftop tents and off-road caravans.

We spend all of our holidays camping, hubby hates commercial campgrounds so we go bush or as near as we can! It’s his pleasure but we (me and daughter) have grown to love it, the biggest thing for me is seeing how he completely winds down and just gets into chill zone when he’s camping (big high pressure job in real life), that’s worth more than I can articulate, in fact he gets the best sleep ever when camping, snores like a trooper (never snores at home!).  Camping is hard work wherever you camp, it’s set up, pack up and just day to day you are organising and just arranging, but it’s the best hard work and very fulfilling, the rewards are worth it xxxxxx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This was our last trip on the boat to an island we often went to, to camp overnight,, so bare minimum of stuff to me (but probably not to you @Bobj lol )

sadly we lost all our camping gear and the boat in fire a few months ago, so will have to start collecting some camping gear over winter for when it warms up again.

IMG_1895.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, calNgary said:

This was our last trip on the boat to an island we often went to, to camp overnight,, so bare minimum of stuff to me (but probably not to you @Bobj lol )

sadly we lost all our camping gear and the boat in fire a few months ago, so will have to start collecting some camping gear over winter for when it warms up again.

IMG_1895.JPG

That is nice.

No chairs??? We always take 3, just in case one of Big W's 'expensive' commodities karks it...

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, calNgary said:

I remember you saying that some of the best camping spots are accessed by boat... I figured you were paying somebody to take you out there, but looks like you bought a boat... just for the camping expeditions?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, five said:

We're planning on doing the big lap. Just trying to figure out what set up will work best for us. It will definitely involve a 4X4, but just considering the pros and cons of rooftop tents and off-road caravans.

I've spent about half an hour of my life looking into slide-on campers, I never knew they existed until recently.

29 minutes ago, WayneM said:

I remember you saying that some of the best camping spots are accessed by boat... I figured you were paying somebody to take you out there, but looks like you bought a boat... just for the camping expeditions?

Yes we treated ourselves to this ,unfortunately it ended up like the 2nd pic ! #heartbreaking

49061422_10155604747927191_2772546280289730560_n.jpg

IMG_2027.JPG

• Sad 2

On 10/02/2019 at 22:19, Phoenix16 said:

And yep, the rangers will find you in WA!! You could be behind the most remote sand dune, trust me they will find you, they know all the tricks!! Saying that, I do see so many camper vans quietly parked up in areas around Freo that seem to get away with it, I think the odd night you will survive but a permanent camp for a few months, naw, you’re  dreaming....

Just reading back on this camping lark and have to query that bit about Rangers finding you. Mum and I have camped many times in the East Kimberley area and not even seen any Rangers.We camped on the side of the Spillway from Lake Argyle, a place that many locals camp along, judging from the discarded cans, bottles and general rubbish. I suppose the Rangers haven’t found that place yet. Also camped in a few places along the Ord River, out from Kununurra and no rubbish, or Rangers.

Perhaps they haven’t managed to get that far north...

A little thing I learned many years ago, find old Main Road gravel pits for an overnight camp; fairly clean and private...

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...