Any camping fans on the forum?

We are just firming up our plans for the big move and going through our stuff to take with us and wondered if there was anything obvious we've missed. We reckon pretty much all of our UK camping equipment is going to be just as relevant in Oz.

Cleaning the tent is going to be fun...

I am looking at the special electrical adaptor we use on UK campsites and wondering if that's still going to be any use? Presumably solar kits are a bit more common over there.

G'day mate, have been known to do a bit of camping in my time, but not glamping...😉 It has been 50 years since I last camped in the UK, ergo, I know zilch about your gear.

Hopefully, someone can steer you in the right direction regards electrical gear. My knowledge is limited to 3 torches and the 4wd radio!

Cheers, Bobj.

Cheers Bobj - yes hopefully somebody will come along with an answer - that electrical hook up lead cost me 20 quid so I wouldn't want to regret leaving it behind! Electricity when camping - yep - what on earth are you on about is pretty much my reaction to Mrs M's insistance we get something to power some fan heaters. Since then our glamping has extended to include a "carpet" for the tent can you believe.

One of the things I am looking forward to once settled after arrival is working out where to take the kids on camping expeditions.

• Like 1

Lived in a 10x8 ft tent for 2 years in the West Kimberley; that was over 50 years ago. The Main Roads might have advanced a smidgen since then.

I prefer the really basic type of camping...Northern Territory.

2111894065_P1060491(1).JPG.2ad22ff49229c7b0f833beaf491dcd8e.JPG

And the Northern Territory desert...Four poster, no less.bigemo_harabe_net-163.gif

553003856_Hols2012097.jpg.c6b6ea4010c93333c978229cb6c2dde3.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

2 years is quite the commitment.

I did point out to my wife that one option when we arrive, until at least one of us has a job, is to base ourselves in a tent to keep the outgoings down.

It turns out that's not an option, I asked why, she says, "for so many reasons" though I'm not sure what these reasons are. 

I am wondering if I ought to get one of those Utes when I arrive, they seem quite common over there. We had a friend who lives in Sydney recommend getting a 4x4 to allow exploration of more remote locations, but I'm assuming it's a big investment for something rarely used.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, WayneM said:

I did point out to my wife that one option when we arrive, until at least one of us has a job, is to base ourselves in a tent to keep the outgoings down.

It turns out that's not an option, I asked why, she says, "for so many reasons" though I'm not sure what these reasons are. 

I am wondering if I ought to get one of those Utes when I arrive, they seem quite common over there. We had a friend who lives in Sydney recommend getting a 4x4 to allow exploration of more remote locations, but I'm assuming it's a big investment for something rarely used.

I used to have a friend who lived in a tent for a while.

It wasn't a huge saving.

Is that photo actually you Wayne?

Edited by newjez

29 minutes ago, newjez said:

I used to have a friend who lived in a tent for a while.

It wasn't a huge saving.

Is that photo actually you?

I suspect a big difference is if you are paying for site fees or not. I know when we have holidayed in the UK you're talking 20 quid a night, so that's the equivalent of £650 a month for which you could run a small flat on anyway.

If you pitch your tent in the wilderness then there's none of that cost. Unfortunately that's not legal in England (yet Scotland is), I'm not sure about the situation in Queensland.

The really handsome guy that looks a little bit like Yoda? Yep, that's me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WayneM said:

I suspect a big difference is if you are paying for site fees or not. I know when we have holidayed in the UK you're talking 20 quid a night, so that's the equivalent of £650 a month for which you could run a small flat on anyway.

If you pitch your tent in the wilderness then there's none of that cost. Unfortunately that's not legal in England (yet Scotland is), I'm not sure about the situation in Queensland.

I've seen tents pitched in the middle of nowhere and on grassy areas next to the beach here (Tasmania) and nobody seems to worry.  They always leave the place very tidy as if they had never been there.

3 hours ago, WayneM said:

You might wanna get a hat. I'm the same, and the Aussie sun crisps the top of my head like bacon without my hat.

2 hours ago, Toots said:

I've seen tents pitched in the middle of nowhere and on grassy areas next to the beach here (Tasmania) and nobody seems to worry.  They always leave the place very tidy as if they had never been there.

In West Australia I'm pretty sure the rangers would jump on you pretty quickly if you were free camping near anywhere remotely populated. Even in some of the more desolate areas you might find a ranger. There are also a lot of restrictions and heavy fines depending on what you do and where you are. But there are heaps of free campsite dotted around the state.

Big camper so here... hubby says no way will your 20 quid power lead work here but on the plus side you can buy an Aussie one in Bunnings for around $20... happy to answer all your questions, we camp often, we often go off grid with full power and all amenities, including my hair dryer which was a deal breaker for me, thankfully hubby got a 1500w inverter to accomodate my needs!!  So so many camping opportunities in WA, our rig allows us to bush camp with all amenities, I’m sure your Uk stuff will be very useful but the gear you can get here in OZ will blow your mind!!!

And yep, the rangers will find you in WA!! You could be behind the most remote sand dune, trust me they will find you, they know all the tricks!! Saying that, I do see so many camper vans quietly parked up in areas around Freo that seem to get away with it, I think the odd night you will survive but a permanent camp for a few months, naw, you’re  dreaming....

20 hours ago, newjez said:

In West Australia I'm pretty sure the rangers would jump on you pretty quickly if you were free camping near anywhere remotely populated. Even in some of the more desolate areas you might find a ranger. There are also a lot of restrictions and heavy fines depending on what you do and where you are. But there are heaps of free campsite dotted around the state.

It's gone now but a tent was pitched here for over a week.  Nobody told them to move on.  They left the place immaculate BUT I noticed what I thought was a baby stroller inside the tent but it was actually a shopping trolley which they dumped.  😡

012.JPG

016.JPG

On 10/02/2019 at 06:18, WayneM said:

It depends on what your lifestyle is as to a 4wd ute. My 2 big hobbies are remote fishing and fossicking, ergo my preference is for a fourbie, so I can get off the bitumen. 

Cheers, Bobj.

Edited by Bobj
  • Like 1

On 10/02/2019 at 12:13, Phoenix16 said:

Big camper so here... hubby says no way will your 20 quid power lead work here but on the plus side you can buy an Aussie one in Bunnings for around $20... happy to answer all your questions, we camp often, we often go off grid with full power and all amenities, including my hair dryer which was a deal breaker for me, thankfully hubby got a 1500w inverter to accomodate my needs!!  So so many camping opportunities in WA, our rig allows us to bush camp with all amenities, I’m sure your Uk stuff will be very useful but the gear you can get here in OZ will blow your mind!!!

Thanks for sharing, if I think of any particular questions I will be sure to post and see what comes back. We love to get out into the countryside, but find most of the camping spots in the UK feel too commercial. Last time we went we landed up with our kitchen set up in a utility tent 5 meters from our main tent, with a tarp construction on top acting as a big umbrella between the two.

I'll certainly look into solar when I get out there. I had a look in the camping shop here last year, but figured I was best to wait until after our big move.

1 minute ago, calNgary said:

We have found in QLD some of the best spots we have gone to for camping are only accessible by 4WD or a boat.

Cal x

Thanks for the input, we are certainly considering a 4WD as you are not the only person to make a similar point. Care to share where your best spots have been?

North Stradbroke, Coochiemudloo Island, Fraser Island, Noosa North Shore to name but a few ... I must admit lately we go via boat to Horseshoe Bay / Peel Island or other little islands in and around Moreton Bay as less accessible means less people and a lovely relaxing break ,lol

Cal x

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bobj said:

Have a Squizz at BCF (boating, camping, fishing) about the most comprehensive camping/outdoors shop in Australia.

Cheers, Bobj.

I went there when I was looking for a pair of wellies.  Nothing under $40   ....................  for wellies!!. 😲  I got a pair in Bunnings for $15.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
This is the view from my camp kitchen in Ningaloo marine park, this is also my camp set up with no power hook up or amenties, I love solar ha ha.... and I hope it gives you a taste of the camping opportunities you have here xxxxx
039CB0B5-9968-4F14-985C-448B647C2B6D.thumb.jpeg.4352c97e993ddc628252b0ace4ef1d5a.jpeg
9DF5BE8C-D912-4FF2-993D-E489B5994577.thumb.jpeg.1c591341d2fd9dc3eabce5df0df38dbd.jpeg
Is that a solar powered TV?
  • Like 1

On Saturday, February 09, 2019 at 06:26, WayneM said:

Cheers Bobj - yes hopefully somebody will come along with an answer - that electrical hook up lead cost me 20 quid so I wouldn't want to regret leaving it behind! Electricity when camping - yep - what on earth are you on about is pretty much my reaction to Mrs M's insistance we get something to power some fan heaters. Since then our glamping has extended to include a "carpet" for the tent can you believe.

One of the things I am looking forward to once settled after arrival is working out where to take the kids on camping expeditions.

Take the kids and leave the missus at home. Otherwise you'll think just whack all the gear in the back of the ute or 4 wheel drive and off you go. If the wife comes along you'll end up towing a trailer. Been there done it and the tent we bought is still in the loft, used twice. Along with camping stoves, gas cylinders, power extension leads, small fridge, hairdryer etc etc.😀

Plenty of places to go though and you don't have to go far.