Importing BMW to QLD

xmascreek

My 4.5 year old 5 Series BMW will arrive in Brisbane, late February 2019. I've been through the approval to import process (ticked) and understand that it needs a compliance certificate before I can register it. My question is - what are the odds that a 'new' UK BMW won't comply ? Second is there a list of folks who can do the compliance - the gov search engine makes no sense.

And it also seems that I have to drive to the 'rego' with the car in order that they can 'eyeball' it themselves ?

Any clear guidance much appreciated.

It will need changing to Aus spec, i am by far an expert but i think it will be MPH clock changing to a KMH clock, there sometimes needs to be changes to rear child safety anchor points.

Any vehicle that has expired rego (or needs registering) have to go ''over the pits'',, just more red tape and little action  from what i hear especially if the car is in decent condition. This doesnt just apply to UK imports. You wont be able to drive your BMW to the centre so you will need to have it towed from the docks to whoever is inspecting.

I do know a guy who does them (compliance certs) but he is on the Gold coast , feel free to PM me if you want his number.

Cal x

Uk cars don’t need speedo change as are dual Kph/mph dials and any digital display can be reset to kph. We imported an Audi TT into SA the compliance and rego checks are annoying and long winded and they didn’t put car back together very well either!  We didn’t need car seat fixings as no rear seats in ours. We used a company to sort it all. It wasn’t cheap!

Also start checking on insurance many do not cover imports or charge an arm and a leg to do so. We use Shannon’s very reasonable and we’re also good when someone ran into the back of it!!!  Ours was classed as hobby car as low mileage and not used for everyday commuting though. 

These guys might help they are based in Brissie. http://www.bringmycartoaustralia.com/our-services/ it gives an overview of the steps you need to take and they can do it for you if you like. 

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 1

Yes it is likely that your BMW will have some sort of approved fixings, if not they will fit some. The highest costs are import duties, registration and stamp duty. This will add up to a few thousand dollars plus the compliance checks and NIDDRIE plate. Plus every time your car has to go somewhere before it is Registered it will need a special permit or be towed. That is why an agent can be useful as they have things set up for exactly this.

Never underestimate the red tape, permits and paperwork - plus associated costs required -to just do stuff in Australia!

On 04/02/2019 at 07:13, xmascreek said:

Thanks - I see anchor points mentioned a lot - I assume (?) this is ISOfix ? 

Nope.  It's as well as isofix.

The Aussie's don't believe in ISOFIX.  Despite me have a German car, therefore clearly superior than anything than the Aussies can make 😉, I had to have bloody hole drilled in my boot to fix a third anchor point for my non existent middle child seat, for my third non existing child.  And pay for it.

isofix-low-anchorages-diagram.jpg

It's now been unbolted and a grommet put in the plastic.